UKC

recycling aluminium foil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pebbles 31 Jan 2013
When I was a kid loads of people used to collect aluminium foil from chocolate wrappers, cooking foil etc for recycling. It must have been a financially viable process because the foil was collected by a charity and the cash (at least from the charity that collected round our way) was sent to fund guide dog training.
Now glass, plastic, newspaper, cardboard, tin cans are all routinely collected for recycling (even though a lot still ends up in landfill) but you never hear of aluminium foil being collected fro recycling any more. Does anyone know why this is? I'm curious - everyone did it when I was a kid!
 the power 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pebbles: chuck it in with our aluminium cans
ceri 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pebbles: Here, it is collected with the tins:
Metals
YES PLEASE
Food / Drink cans
Empty aerosols
Biscuit / Sweet tins
Clean aluminium foil

OP pebbles 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ceri: sounds like I'm just being stupid then! I'll check my recycling guidlines
 Owen Meany 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pebbles:
Aluminium recycling facilities in York are very scarce - I know that we (and when I say we, I mean S) goes out of his way to take aluminium to the one place that actually has a facility - I will check with him which one it is!!
 Owen Meany 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pebbles:
Next to Wickes at Clifton Moor apparently.

The main recycling place on James Street doesn't have any aluminium recycling
 Bimble 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pebbles:

We used to have a big jar in the kitchen to put foil in when I was a kid, and it went to the local Girl Guides I seem to remember. God knows what they did with it all, but I presume it got recycled for charity via them, unless they spent a lot of time making robot outfits with it.
 Philip 31 Jan 2013
My mother-in-law washes aluminium foil and reuses it. She also washes freezer bags and re-uses.

My wife and her sister both refuse to wash or wipe them up when we visit on the ground that they're not being party to such frugal actions.

I re-use freezer bags that hold bread rolls - but they stay in the freezer.
ceri 31 Jan 2013
In reply to Philip: I wash freezer bags and re-use...
 tlm 31 Jan 2013
In reply to ceri:
> (In reply to Philip) I wash freezer bags and re-use...

We just reuse them without washing them - heh heh heh.....

EeeByGum 31 Jan 2013
In reply to pebbles: When I was university, there were quite a few tramps that used to wonder around the centre of Birmingham scavenging drinks cans.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...