UKC

Rees-Mogg defending concentration camps

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trevers 15 Feb 2019

Here's Jacob Rees-Mogg defending the British use of concentration camps during the Boer War:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47247835/jacob-rees-mogg-comments...

According to him, the death rate was comparable to Glasgow at the time.

A quick Google reveals that in the few years the war ran, 1 in 4 of the more than 115,000 inmates of the camps died. This included 24,074 children, half of the Boer child population. These figures were from a UK government commissioned report.

(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_concentration_camps)

john arran 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

There really should be a law against MPs lying to the public. But, of course, getting lying and cheating MPs to enact such a law would be a bit of a Christmas turkey ballot.

The New NickB 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

To be fair in 1900, 15% of Glasgow infants didn’t make it to their 1st birthday.

Presumably he is advocating a return to such conditions as a way of supporting our funeral industry!

Removed User 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

I think what he was trying to say was that the people in camps were being looked after to the same degree that 'free' people in Glasgow were looking after themselves, using the death rate as a measuring stick...……….

In reply to Trevers:

The most depressing thing is that the Question Time audience clapped after he made out that the British Empire was doing the Boers a favour by putting them in concentration camps.  Either the BBC is loading the audience up with right wingers or there is an absolutely frightening level of nationalism verging on fascism developing in England.

If right wingers came out with this kind of revisionist denial in Germany with respect to Nazi concentration camps they'd get arrested.

OP Trevers 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

Mogg's claim about Glasgow probably refers to a specific period in the history of the camps.

After Emily Hobhouse brought public attention to the horrors of the camps, confirmed by the Fawcett Commission, the civil authority took over running of the camps from Kitchener. The death rate of (white) inmates dropped to eventually 2 percent, lower than many British cities of the time.

I don't understand why any informed commentator would consider it morally acceptable to deliberately distort historical facts in such a way. I'm going to have to assume he's simply very poorly informed.

Post edited at 14:56
 Trangia 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

In fairness to the British the concentration camps in the Boer war were not constructed for the purpose of deliberately exterminating the inmates, the camps were built to concentrate the Boer women and children away from the farmsteads on the Veldt so that they could not support and feed the mounted Boer Commandos, but had appalling sanitation. The deaths were a national scandal and were a result of cholera and unplanned. It was gross negligence by the British. Totally unforgivable but hardly as evil as deliberate extermination. 

Unlike the Germans who constructed camps in neighbouring Namibia (then known a German South West Africa) after the Herero Wars in 1904 with the intention that the inmates would be worked as forced labour (mainly building railways on meagre rations) until they died. This followed the random execution of about 20,000 of the tribes  people - men, women and children, who having fled into the Kalahari Desert at the end of those Wars were eventually forced back into Namibia through hunger and lack of water. Far from gross negligence, their's was a policy of extermination in the camps. Some of the young soldiers who had served in the Kaiser's Army of occupation in Namibia later became senior figures in Hitler's SS

In reply to Trevers:

> In November 1901, the Colonial Secretary Joseph Chamberlain ordered Alfred Milner to ensure that "all possible steps are being taken to reduce the rate of mortality." The civil authority took over the running of the camps from Kitchener and the British command and by February 1902 the annual death-rate in the concentration camps for white inmates dropped to 6.9 percent and eventually to 2 percent, which was a lower rate than pertained in many British cities at the time[citation needed]. However, by then the damage had been done. A report after the war concluded that 27,927 Boers (of whom 24,074 [50 percent of the Boer child population] were children under 16) had died of starvation, disease and exposure in the concentration camps. In all, about one in four (25 percent) of the Boer inmates, mostly children, died.

So a bit like saying not many Jews died in concentration camps. Oh yeah, after the Allies turned up. 

In reply to Trevers:

> I'm going to have to assume he's simply very poorly informed.

The Right Honourable Member for the Nineteenth Century is always going to defend the British Empire.

OP Trevers 15 Feb 2019
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> So a bit like saying not many Jews died in concentration camps. Oh yeah, after the Allies turned up. 

You would certainly be justified in making that comparison.

Post edited at 15:53
 MonkeyPuzzle 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

To summarise: What a tw*t.

Tony Jones 15 Feb 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

He's despicable. Yet people applaud him because he appears to speak with measured gravitas. Listen to the words (and fact-check them), don't be swayed by the Etonian delivery.

scoobydougan 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Tony Jones:

I'm not sure many people around here are swayed by his delivery ! But unfortunately lots of them agree with his hard brexit bollocks. 

OP Trevers 15 Feb 2019
In reply to scoobydougan:

> I'm not sure many people around here are swayed by his delivery ! But unfortunately lots of them agree with his hard brexit bollocks. 

Well where does his reputation (in some quarters) as some kind of deep intellectual come from? I guess it comes from his delivery. He's a poor man's intellectual, a bit like Stephen Fry (except Stephen Fry is an entertainer, not a politician deliberately throwing misinformation into the public sphere in order to drive nationalist sentiment and effect a hard right coup).

scoobydougan 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

I was referring more to the fact that his accent, posh and polished as it is , won't win him votes in Lancashire ! But bafflingly his xenophobic rhetoric chimes with most of the customers in my local. 

Post edited at 22:58
In reply to Trevers:

> He's a poor man's intellectual, a bit like Stephen Fry

Rather unfair on Stephen Fry to compare him with that piece of shit.

In reply to scoobydougan:

> I was referring more to the fact that his accent, posh and polished as it is

It's why Sandhurst still tries to get officer cadets to talk plummy...

pasbury 15 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

> According to him, the death rate was comparable to Glasgow at the time.

I suggest a live debate between Jacob Rees-Mosley and Rab C Nesbit on the finer points of Glaswegian poverty.

Trangia 16 Feb 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > I was referring more to the fact that his accent, posh and polished as it is

> It's why Sandhurst still tries to get officer cadets to talk plummy...

What makes you say that? You will hear a lot of regional and neutral accents there these days. And Sandhurst doesn't try to "get"  officer cadets to speak plummy by altering a regional or neutral accent which is already formed by the time they get there. The same goes for Dartmouth and Cranwell. 

Watch any documentary on the forces and you'll hear very few Rees- Mogg accents amongst the officers.

Don't confuse clear and articulate English with "posh". Excellent communication skills is essential for an officer. The accent is irrelevant so long as others can understand them. 

girlymonkey 16 Feb 2019
In reply to Trevers:

How did concentration camps even come up? Is it JRM's plan to deal with the starving plebs post Brexit?? 

Andy Hardy 16 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

I don't know if you noticed, but before the vote brexit was going to be about "global Britain, taking control and our rightful place in the world" now it's "slightly better than incarceration in concentration camp or being carpet bombed by the Luftwaffe"

In reply to Trangia:

> What makes you say that?

Growing up in Blackwater.

Speaking to many officer cadets, who told me that was expected.

I'll admit that was 30 years ago, and that things have changed. Out of necessity.

OP Trevers 16 Feb 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> I don't know if you noticed, but before the vote brexit was going to be about "global Britain, taking control and our rightful place in the world" now it's "slightly better than incarceration in concentration camp or being carpet bombed by the Luftwaffe"

How the goalposts shift...

OP Trevers 16 Feb 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> How did concentration camps even come up? Is it JRM's plan to deal with the starving plebs post Brexit?? 

I don't watch Question Time because I'm a fan of fact-based, mature debate, but I believe the question that prompted the discussion was related to Churchill's crimes and John McDonnell.

Post edited at 11:16
 Whitters 16 Feb 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

I must have missed that lesson, much to the chagrin of my southern wife...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...