/ Replacement double-glazing units: price differenc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
yorkshire_lad2 06 Sep 2019

I've got 10 or so double-glazing units that need replacing.  They're 20 years old and getting condensation on the inside (some worse than others).  Once the first one went, I thought I'd wait for a few more to go and make it worthwhile getting someone in to replace them.

I've duly had two quotes.  There's a £500 differential for the 10 units (~£800 vs ~£1300), so that's £50 per unit.  As far as my untrained eye can tell from the quotes, there's little difference in the materials (both class A, low E, argon filled).  I don't mind paying for better quality (I'm drawing an analogy with cars: different car, different price, but it's still a car, you get what you pay for, to some extent), but I do mind paying more money for the same thing.

Is it possible for there to be such a differential in what to the untrained eye seems a similar product?


balmybaldwin 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Yes. there are severl variations, and of course profit margin.  Have you priced up getting and fitting them yourself? Really not too difficult, and you'll save a packet. (Biggest risk is if you measure badly and end up with some that don't fit)

Have a look at this to give you an idea on the variants available: 


SC 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Whatever you do avoid getting a quote from Anglian or you'll be getting weekly marketing calls from them for the rest of your days! I ended up changing my number to get rid of them. Even telling them I was dead didn't stop them.

Fruitbat 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I'll second balmybaldwin's suggestion of buying and fitting them yourself - it's not magic but obviously depends if you have time, inclination etc.

Maybe try removing the inner surround of just one unit to see what's involved, this should also allow you to measure the unit accurately (some units have the measurements printed on the strip in between the panes). Get some quotes for new units to see roughly how much labour you will save paying - you could probably afford to buy the better units and still save money, which should appeal to a Yorkshireman. 

rogersavery 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

If you are anywhere near Sheffield, and are going down the diy route I would recommend abbey glass - the last unit I bought from them was cheaper the 2 single pains of glass. For a double glazed unit approx 800mm x 300mm was around £20

Post edited at 15:47
LastBoyScout 06 Sep 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:


You recommended that company on another thread about a year ago. Have you actually used them?

Asking, as my wife is reminding me that I need to get a new unit for our garage door - also commented on same thread!


dunirie 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

it depends what type glass they have quoted on......whether its toughened or laminated or a combination of both.

robert-hutton 06 Sep 2019
In reply to rogersavery:

Can also recommend Abbey glass, down to earth shop and prices

balmybaldwin 06 Sep 2019
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yes. changed a couple of units on my mum's conservatory.  - Look at Delivery costs/times though. I went for a long delivery as wasn't in a hurry and only needed 3 units.

If I was doing it with standard sized windows I'd probably go to a builders merchant near me that keeps common sizes in stock to avoid delivery fees

Pekkie 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

As several posters have pointed out, it's not that difficult to replace double glazed units so long as you measure up carefully. They can be difficult to manoeuvre into place if large and not on ground floor - might need help! Best to identify where shops & tradesmen get their units - usually local industrial estate. You can save mucho roubles but you need to be handy!

Steve Clark 06 Sep 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

I’d just go with the cheaper quote, but it’s not hard to do yourself and the units are cheap.

Just be aware there are different thicknesses of units. Typically 4mm glass with a 20mm spacer bar (cavity). Older units have different sized spacer bar.

Some units may be safety glass (toughened or sometimes laminated). Typically doors and low level windows.

For opening lights that hinge on the side, there is a technique to pack the unit to stop it sagging under its own weight. Google it. 

There is an inside and outside face of a new unit with low e coated glass. The coating goes on the cavity face of the inside pane (termed face 3). You can check the units after they have been installed by holding a lighter about an inch away from the glass on the inside. The reflection of the flame off face 3 will be greener than the other three which will be normal orange.

LastBoyScout 09 Sep 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Good tip - thanks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.