UKC

RIP Ivanator

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 15 May 2020

UKC long term poster Ivan(ator) sadly passed away last week after putting up one heck of a fight against cancer.

Back in the day when I lived in Swanage we met via UKC and climbed together a lot during that time, not just in Swanage but all over the S West and occasionally in N Wales and we had an ace trip to the Dolomites where he was in his element.

I don’t think I’ll ever forget climbing on the Ruckle one January when it started snowing! You’d never call him a graceful climber but his grit and determination on the rock was impressive.

We hadn’t climbed together for a few years but seeing pictures of him introducing his son Noah to climbing, you knew that was special.

One of the nicest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of climbing with, a sad loss. 

Post edited at 15:18
 jkarran 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Very sorry to hear that. RIP.

jk

Yanis Nayu 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

I remember him from the forum - sad news. Condolences to friends and family. 

abr1966 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

RIP......too young for sure. Sorry for your loss....

DerwentDiluted 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Terrible news. I always read his posts with great interest and was clearly one of lifes good guys. My condolences to all who knew him.

Offwidth 15 May 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

Awful news. the epitome of the internet climbing enthusiast with the climbing CV to match. Condolences to all who knew him well.

Rog Wilko 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

What a terrible loss. Never met him but just knew he was my kind of guy. Such an enthusiast and obviously a fine family man.

BALD EAGLE 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Desperately sad news of a lovely young man taken far too early. I only exchanged a few messages with Ivan via UKC over the years but he was always very friendly and full of enthusiasm for all things climbing so this is a great shock to me as I had no idea of his fight with cancer. Sincere condolences to all Ivan's loved ones.

marsbar 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Sorry for your loss and condolences to his family too.  

Doghouse 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Sorry to hear that, only knew he from the forum but he came across as a really good guy

Derek Furze 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Sad indeed.  My thoughts are with you.  Always difficult 

Darron 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Only today I subscribed to a couple of his tick lists on here, which of course makes a connection. Very sad to here this and best wishes to all his family and friends.

Gone for good 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Very sad news. I remember his forum contributions well. Many condolences to you and his family.

oscaig 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

So sad and far too young - always seemed so positive and full of adventure. Condolences to his friends and family. 

bpmclimb 15 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Very sorry to hear that - I really liked Ivan

Bobling 16 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Very sad to hear, local to me.  Rest in Peace Ivanator.

In reply to jezb1:

Life can be so cruel. Only saw his posts on the forum but after a while you feel you know the person a bit. Thoughts with his family and friends. Awful news.

Fatclimber 16 May 2020
In reply to jezb1:

For a period Ivan and I alternated weeks between Reading and Alton. For a portly chap (I'm sure he would not disagree with that) he climbed with a certain kind of grace. 

But the determination he showed in his climbing was nothing compared to the way he battled his cancer. I always felt that if anyone could defeat this terrible disease it would be him.

My thoughts are with Gayle and Noah. 

In reply to Fatclimber:

He came across as a lovely chap on here, and I will remember him over the next decades as I gradually tick my way through his excellent best UK VS routes ticklist.

jon 17 May 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...