UKC

RSPB big garden bird survey 2013

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tommycoopersghost 28 Jan 2013
Did anyone else participate in the above? What did you clock? I only managed 1 pied wagtail this year.
 Queenie 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:

Yes, though a squally shower stopped play after about 40mins.

3 blackbirds
9 house sparrows
1 goldfinch
3 woodies
1 robin
3 jackdaws
1 coal tit
1 great tit
4 chaffinches
2 collared doves
5 starlings

In reply to Queenie:

nicely done.

The sky here was full of birds at my chosen hour, but nobody was landing, so followed guidelines and just recorded what landed.

It was very windy and the local kestrel was quartering on patrol. That probably skewed things.
 JMarkW 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:

We got a Brambling, my first ever. Well chuffed.

Cheers
Marl
Slugain Howff 28 Jan 2013
In reply to Queenie:
> (In reply to moraldecay)
>
> Yes, though a squally shower stopped play after about 40mins.
>
> 3 blackbirds
> 9 house sparrows
> 1 goldfinch
> 3 woodies
> 1 robin
> 3 jackdaws
> 1 coal tit
> 1 great tit
> 4 chaffinches
> 2 collared doves
> 5 starlings

Take away the Starlings and add a Fieldfare, a Mistle Thrush, some Siskins, Greenfinches, Dunnocks and Blue tits and that would be similar to my list.
In reply to Slugain Howff:

Brilliant count too. Only way to improve it would be to say it took place at the famed secret howff itself?
 ebygomm 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:

1 redwing
1 starling
3 blackbirds
10 tree sparrows
1 pheasant
1 great tit
2 robins
2 collared doves
7! woodpigeons (only ever seen 2 in the garden at the same time before)
1 pied wagtail
 Tom Valentine 28 Jan 2013
In reply to ebygomm:

Just looking at a very poorly wood pigeon hauling itself round the patio, feathers shredded and a pronounced limp. Most likely a cat to blame but a good chance it was the sparrowhawk which visits frequently.
In reply to Tom Valentine:
> (In reply to ebygomm)
>
> Just looking at a very poorly wood pigeon hauling itself round the patio, feathers shredded and a pronounced limp. Most likely a cat to blame but a good chance it was the sparrowhawk which visits frequently.

What you gonna do with it? When i take in cat/car damaged birds, i usually wind up having to put them out of their misery 48 hours later.
Slugain Howff 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:
> (In reply to Slugain Howff)
>
> Brilliant count too. Only way to improve it would be to say it took place at the famed secret howff itself?

That would then include Red Grouse, Golden Eagle and Ptarmigan!!!!
 Tom Valentine 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:

I'll see if it's still around tomorrow. Got some of that genuine risotto rice needs using up.
In reply to Tom Valentine:

last injured bird i took in was a collared dove which was stunned and bloodied in gutter outside my house. Took it in, cleaned it up. Got it eating, and most importantly, drinking. Poor little bugger succumbed 3 days later.

Still, can only try.
 BBear 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:
I spent an hour looking out at a mostly deserted back garden. The birds were not in a very cooperative mood despite the tasty treats I had laid on .

2 Blackbirds
1 House sparrow
1 Dunnock
5 Woodpigeon
2 Carrion crow
1 Mistle thrush

mack 28 Jan 2013
In reply to moraldecay:

I used to work at a wildlife hospital and many types of birds don't do well with recovery after injury. Fragile little critters.

Happily some do do very well. One of my favourite memories was releasing a nightjar after a lengthy recovery.
=)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...