UKC

Running (or climbing for that matter) in Doha

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClimberEd 20 Nov 2012
Has anybody been to Doha?

I've got a work trip there and am wondering if I'm likely to be able to get some decent running in outside.

I'm assuming there is no climbing but would be very happy if there was
 Bob Hughes 20 Nov 2012
In reply to ClimberEd: I'd be very surprised if there is any climbing to be had. I've only been to the city and was only there for less than 24 hours but flying in it's basically a sandbank that's been built on. For running - there is a corniche if I remember correctly.
 deanr 20 Nov 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:
Hi I've lived in Doha now for 4 months and yes there are both!

There is a climbing community on Facebook called Doha climbers this will tell you the most.

There is only 1 artificial climbing wall here, in the Apsire Zone, but it seems they won't staff or open it, so people have to resort to jumping the fence.

However, there is plenty of outdoor climbing. Some is inland in sink holes at the end of the Salwa Road, the rest is on the coast. It seems there are single pitch top rope climbs, but you will need a 4wd to get there.

You can run along the Corniche which is really nice and is 8km each way. There is also a running and training circuit in the Aspire Zone Park (near Villagio). This is a pleasant grased park (with artificial bird noises) and is full of families, but plenty of peopel use it to workout.

The weather her right now is very nice so it will be perfect for running.

I saw rain for the first time today since moving here!

Dean
OP ClimberEd 20 Nov 2012
In reply to deanr:

Thanks Dean, that's great info, and really good to know.

You are about to be descended upon by the great and the good from the world of climate change in a fit of hypocrisy.
 deanr 20 Nov 2012
In reply to ClimberEd:

We've just had a memo that 20,000 people are coming to Doha. Apparently, It's the biggest conference the country has ever had! That's my commute shagged. Enjoy it.
 Bob Hughes 21 Nov 2012
In reply to deanr: I stand well and truly corrected.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...