UKC

Ryanair travel documents

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 21 Dec 2012
Aagh! Just went on to check in with Ryanair, assuming my photo driving licence would be fine. Its not! Only a National ID card or current passport!!

My passport expired October 2012.

Aside from their regualtions, why should I need a passport to fly between the UK & Ireland!!

F*~k!
 yorkshireman 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

> Aside from their regualtions, why should I need a passport to fly between the UK & Ireland!!

I don't think you do, just must be Ryanair being inflexible with their rules (par for the course).

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/passports1/entry-requirem... (last but one item down)
OP Flinticus 21 Dec 2012
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks. As I thought, Ireland has special 'relaxed' rules re travel documentation requirements. Its Ryanair's usual customer service.

Never noticed this restriction before as my passport has been in force for the 10 years prior to Oct 2012 and I thought my driving licence would do for all ID needs (I don't travel to far flung countries).

Wiley Coyote2 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

This probably won't wash with Ryanair but if you have your passport with you it's surely still good for Id. After all you didn't stop being you when it expired.
 Scarab9 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

was it northern or southern? Southern you do with all airlines I think, northern it's down to airline policy and Ryanair do say in their terms that you need a passport.
OP Flinticus 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Scarab9:
From Aer Lingus' website:

Travel between Ireland and the UK or UK Domestic travel
Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification.

Note: In order to travel between Ireland and the UK with photo identification other than a passport, passengers must have been born in Ireland or the UK and also be a citizen of either country.

The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:

Valid Passport
Driver's licence with photo
International student card
National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
Bus pass with photo
Work ID with photo
Citizens of Ireland and the UK under the age of 16, do not need a photo ID, if travelling with their parent/guardian.

Citizens of countries other than Ireland and the UK must produce a valid passport and visa where applicable, for travel between Ireland and the United Kingdom.

So I am sorted for my flight from Glasgow to Dublin. Now to buy a new return flight.
 Little Brew 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus: not suggesting you do this..., but the passport is only checked at the gate, and only then a cursory glance at the photo and you....
OP Flinticus 21 Dec 2012
I know but as you say, won't wash with Ryanair.

Seems one of my colleaques was refused boarding at the airport as she had a driving licence rather than passport.
OP Flinticus 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
You can't get your boarding card without the expiry date.
 Little Brew 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus: ar, sorry forgot that bit, i stopped using Ryanair when they pulled out of Belfast, Sleazy Jet for me next week!
 Lukeva 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus: My girlfriend is from ROI so prior to her moving here we spent a lot of time on the flying buses. No need for PP on Aer Lingus or by UK/Eire law. I think Ryanair however do require pp as you say; it’s another pain in the arse bureaucratic restriction that they impose. You best get an ID card or PP?
 Neil Williams 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Because it's Ryanair. No other reason, and no other airline is as picky.

They used to accept driving licences, but I think it was too much effort for them to modify their online check-in system for it, as they stopped when they introduced that.

Neil
 Lukeva 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Little Brew:
> (In reply to Flinticus) ar, sorry forgot that bit, i stopped using Ryanair when they pulled out of Belfast, Sleazy Jet for me next week!

But they are ALWAYS delayed
Wiley Coyote2 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

Ryaniar is a superlative airline. Only yesterday Which? revealed it was its most complained about airline.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2250900/Ryanair-air-passenger-satis...
richyfenn 21 Dec 2012
In reply to Flinticus:

When are yo going? It is possible to get a passport in a day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...