UKC

Sailing Snowbird

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WaterMonkey 01 Jul 2020

In December last year I posted asking for advice on single handed sailing.

Well 6 months later, despite 3 months of lockdown I have documented it all in a facebook blog.

https://www.facebook.com/Sailing-Snowbird-107979294268309/

You don't need to sell your soul to facebook to read it, just click Not now if asked to log in.

If you scroll to the bottom and read the posts upwards then they are in chronological order.

I'd very much appreciate constructive feedback on my writing style, post style, from any experienced writers out there!

I know it's not climbing but it is a break from the bug that's going around.

If you are on facebook and want to like or follow then that would be great.

Cheers.

Siward 01 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

That was fantastic- lost myself in it for a while. There's just something about boats that never fails to inspire.

sails_ol 01 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Well done, living the dream. If it weren't for lockdown I'd offer to come and crew.

Only comment would be to add a bit of structure to each post:

Title
Short Summary

3 paragraphs

Conclusion

And maybe cross-post to a blogging platform/newsletter so those allergic to FB can follow. (I suggest Substack, really easy to use as a writer and follower)

OP WaterMonkey 01 Jul 2020
In reply to sails_ol:

Thanks, I have been toying with the idea of cross blogging to something like wordpress but it's a bit clunky on my phone, I'll have a look at Substack though.

OP WaterMonkey 01 Jul 2020
In reply to Siward:

> That was fantastic- lost myself in it for a while. There's just something about boats that never fails to inspire.

Thank you

I just love boats, Sitting on a boat in the evening is one of life's great pleasures.

sails_ol 06 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Fancying this myself, I'd be curious to understand the costs involved.

Billhook 06 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I'm not an 'expert' writer and I'm not I have much expertise either.  But I am an avid read of non-fiction of many subjects.

I enjoyed your style of writing a lot.  You didn't go on, it was easy to understand, you avoided too many nautical terms which a landlubber wouldn't understand and the depth of explanation was kept at an even level, which avoids complicated explanations into technical stuff.  There were no bits I would have skipped because of tedious repetitions or long narratives where nothing new was covered.  (It wasn't boring!!!)!

And always use bronze fitting below the water line.

Good luck!

Roadrunner6 06 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Cool,I'm very jealous.

I had a little zuma (it's like a laser), but sold it a few years ago when we moved away from a lakes area. I keep looking at boats but with twins and long work hours it's not going to happen for a while..

Nice though, I'd love a day sailer. 

jimtitt 06 Jul 2020
In reply to Billhook

> And always use bronze fitting below the water line.

> Good luck!

Bit like climbing, there are no absolutes. When you want a 1m diameter exhaust for a 5000 hp gas turbine you need alternatives.

OP WaterMonkey 06 Jul 2020
In reply to sails_ol:

It’s a buyers market at the moment. More boats than sailors out there. My yacht club fees are about £350 for the year and about £600 a year for the mooring. There are cheaper clubs and mooring around.
Other than that you can spend as much or little as you want. 

In reply to Billhook:

Thanks very much, lovely feedback.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yeah I waited until my daughters were late teens before I got into sailing. 

They’ll be joining me on Snowbird soon but I wanted to be capable of single handing her before I got them on. The missus gets seasick but I’m really hoping to persuade her to come for a sail, she’s been on board for a cuppa so far!

Sealwife 06 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I’ve alerted my husband to your Facebook page as he is at a similar stage, although he’s been going out with teen daughters crewing, rather than single handed.  He has a Westerly Pembroke if similar vintage to Snowbird.

Tom Last 06 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Thanks, great stuff. I’ve never sailed but I miss Medway, Essex and the ”...sea-reach of The Thames”

Great stuff.

Post edited at 20:11
In reply to Sealwife:

Awesome, thanks. I used to co-own a Westerly Centaur which I think is the same as the Pembroke but with bilge keels. I really miss the huge interior of the Centaur!

Sealwife 06 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Yes, you are right, Pembroke is fin keeled version of Centaur.  I hadn’t thought of the interior as being particularly spacious!

freeflyer 07 Jul 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Great post and blog. It has inspired me to email the local RYA centre about getting an ICC, which I was going to do in early March however my plans for that and a bareboat in Greece got pandemicked!

Have a great time with your boat - looking forward to updates.

Writing style is abs fine. Keep it simple, don't be afraid to explain technicalities, lots of pictures, stories and mishaps as well as moments of peace.

ff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...