UKC

Sayings you didnt understand as a kid

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 the sheep 12 Nov 2019

Are there any sayings or phrases you just didn't understand as a child? 

For me it was "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

As Glasshouses was a nearby village i never know why the people there shouldn't throw stones 

McHeath 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Not a saying, but a German friend told me that as a teenager he never understood why Bob Marley would sing about "The Damp Chanson"

ThunderCat 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I've got a memory of being very young, and  at the stage where I was just starting to learn how to read.  The sign on the door of our local shop said "No dogs allowed (except guide dogs)" and I remember reading it as "except good dogs".  

Which actually made perfect sense to me at the time.

Post edited at 13:17
 Welsh Kate 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

When I did my Cycling Proficiency test at the age of 7 I learned my Highway Code roadsigns really well and knew the whole lot off by heart, including one which highlighted restrictions for moped riders. I had asbolutely no idea what a moped rider was (I thought 'moped' was a one syllable adjective describing the rider). I was terrified that I was going to be asked that roadsign in my test. Fortunately as it had nothing to do with cycling, it didn't crop up.

At a later age I learned what a mo-ped was.

Gone for good 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I could never understand why you couldn't have your cake and eat it! I mean, what was the use of having cake if you couldn't eat it!!

girlymonkey 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I used to sing "A wean in a manger" at Christmas as a kid, which made perfect sense since I lived in Scotland. At the age of 9 I moved to Devon and they still sung the same song but they didn't know what a wean was! When I actually read the words "away in a manger" they made no sense at all (and still don't really). Still prefer my childhood version

stevieb 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I used to think ‘when the going gets tough the tough get going’ had the opposite meaning ie. when things get difficult, ‘tough guys’ run away. 

Looking at Wikipedia, it’s not a unique opinion - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_going_gets_tough,_the_tough_get_go...

FactorXXX 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

This is going to hurt me more than it will hurt you.

Dave Garnett 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I remember being told about 'fishers of men' in Sunday school when I was about 5.  I wondered about how many men that would be and what an odd name it was for a collective noun.

Post edited at 13:38
 ThunderCat 12 Nov 2019
In reply to stevieb:

> I used to think ‘when the going gets tough the tough get going’ had the opposite meaning ie. when things get difficult, ‘tough guys’ run away. 

> Looking at Wikipedia, it’s not a unique opinion - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_going_gets_tough,_the_tough_get_go...

Blimey, I've always thought that was what it meant?!?!?

Like "When the situation gets bad, all those apparently tough people aren't really tough after all and run away"

hang_about 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

A rather earnest headmaster at primary school used to give moralistic lectures once a week at assembly. I was confused for years by the topic one week 'If the cat fits, wear it". How does one wear a cat? Why would you want to?

Post edited at 14:11
 subtle 12 Nov 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I used to sing "A wean in a manger" at Christmas as a kid, which made perfect sense since I lived in Scotland. At the age of 9 I moved to Devon and they still sung the same song but they didn't know what a wean was! 

The people from the East coast of Scotland would have been similarly non plussed as to what a wean was!

subtle 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

When a kid is crying and the Mother/Father would shout 

"Shut up or I will give you something to greet about"

lone 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

My father was good at sarcasm, he used to say 'What do you want ? A letter' when he had to ask me for the fifth time to do something, I didn't really get it until he actually wrote me a letter telling me to tidy my bedroom !

Jason

Tom Valentine 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

It took me many years to learn the literal meaning of "Woe betide you" but I got the gist of it well before that.

Blue Straggler 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> I could never understand why you couldn't have your cake and eat it! I mean, what was the use of having cake if you couldn't eat it!!

In your defence, the popular phrase is a corruption of the "you can't EAT your cake AND still HAVE it"

Gone for good 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> In your defence, the popular phrase is a corruption of the "you can't EAT your cake AND still HAVE it"

You learn something new every day!!

bigbobbyking 12 Nov 2019

Not sure why the phrase 'you can't eat your cake and have it' isn't more popular. Almost as easy to say as the popular and more easily understandable.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> Blimey, I've always thought that was what it meant?!?!?

> Like "When the situation gets bad, all those apparently tough people aren't really tough after all and run away"

Exactly what I always thought too!

In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

"We plough the fields and scatter" used to puzzle me a bit - why the need to do a runner after doing a good day's work?

Gone 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Not me, but it made me laugh... “Knowledge is power. France is bacon”.

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/04/15/literary-misunderstanding-resurfaced-g...

BnB 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

> Are there any sayings or phrases you just didn't understand as a child? 

"You can't do that"

Jim Lancs 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

"You better behave or you'll be for the high jump".

Made me very wary of 'athletics' as an summer term option in secondary school.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I remember being told about 'fishers of men' in Sunday school when I was about 5.  I wondered about how many men that would be and what an odd name it was for a collective noun.

My sister heard that as "vicious old men", which amuses our family to this day

Wiley Coyote2 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I never understood 'Dilute to taste' on bottles of squash because I could taste it even before it had been diluted. I was never sure if the grocer was waternig it or I had some kind of taste superpower that no one else had

Blue Straggler 12 Nov 2019
In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Similar misunderstanding by me but with the opposite reasoning. I thought “dilute” must mean “bloody horrible and far too strong” 

In reply to Wiley Coyote2:

Tear along this line - for all those ants perusing the labels.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

> I remember being told about 'fishers of men' in Sunday school when I was about 5

I couldn't understand why Jesus wanted the little children to suffer...

In reply to Welsh Kate:

> I had asbolutely no idea what a moped rider was

Obviously a rider who has been moping...

hokkyokusei 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Two things I recall from when I was a kid.

"A man is helping police with their enquiries" - I imagined some public spirited volunteer going door to door asking if anyone had seen something untoward.

"Urban guerillas" - I lived in an urban area and this scared the bejesus out of me, because I'd always thought that gorillas were confined to Africa and zoos.

Crazylegs 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

My mum once found it very amusing when I asked her what "Bicker-bone-ate of sodder" was.

McHeath 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

My grandmother, aged about 5, read a sign in the fishmongers' and asked my great-grandmother why "God slices Haddocks"

Clauso 12 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

My gran used to say "Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs!", when exclaiming about something or nothing, which baffled me lots because she lived in a bungalow. 

Post edited at 21:57
 Kean 13 Nov 2019

> I could never understand why you couldn't have your cake and eat it! I mean, what was the use of having cake if you couldn't eat it!!

The Italian version of this is wonderful "You can't have your wine barrel full and your wife drunk"!

Kean 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

When my mum used to say: "Why don't you look where you're going!" I couldn't work out how staring hard at my feet while walking would help me stop bumping into things...

thommi 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

"...the evil of good, is better."

toad 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Black over Bills mother.

I had an Uncle Bill 

She was my grandma.

She didn't live over there.

Michael Hood 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Not a childhood thing but this one always makes me laugh.

Signs for "Sheep dog trials". why? what have they done wrong?

Common in Wales in summer.

Toby_W 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Slightly different, I remember seeing some sort of advert for people who had a drinking problem and feeling very sorry that their taps weren’t working or were faulty.  My whole family dissolved into laughter around me.

cheers

Toby

oldie 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

As a kid I thought the Hulking Stone Rangers (Eddie Waring commentary) were obviously a really tough team.

"Too many cooks spoil the broth." "Many hands make light work."

In reply to the sheep:

For me it was what is the benefit of the doubt?

Flinticus 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

'Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy & wise'

And miss out on all the fun?

John Ww 13 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

In the words of my Yorkshire Dales born Grandma,  "by, she's brazen fond that one". Always intrigued me, but I got the general gist.

In reply to the sheep:

"Gladly, the cross eyed bear" 

TobyA 13 Nov 2019
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> "Urban guerillas" - I lived in an urban area and this scared the bejesus out of me, because I'd always thought that gorillas were confined to Africa and zoos.

On vaguely related note, I remember being very alarmed to hear on the news that marshal law had been declared in Walsall. My grandad was from there originally and my dad still supported the team! I can't remember how I eventually twigged that Tim Sebastian was reporting for the BBC from the capital of Poland, not other side of the Black Country from where I lived in Worcestershire.

Blue Straggler 13 Nov 2019
In reply to John Ww:

Grandmothers are great . It took me a long time to work out that “nigger brown” basically meant “quite dark brown”.

Slight context, my mother is from South East Asia and is fairly light brown; the “nigger brown” comment came from white Yorkshire grandmother...confusing times for a kid ! 

John Ww 14 Nov 2019

Nigger brown is (or more probably now, was) the official school uniform colour of Heckmondwike Grammar School. 

Hat Dude 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

The saying "It'll be cracking the flags" when it's very hot

how do you crack something flappy and made of cloth?

Fredt 14 Nov 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Flagstones.

Fredt 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

For a while I didn’t understand why John Lennon thought the world could be a swan.

Hat Dude 14 Nov 2019
In reply to Fredt:

I know that now but it took a while, especially as I lived in a village with tarmac pavements (now there's a contradiction in terms!)

petemeads 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I thought I understood the phrase "nineteen to the dozen" as meaning going, or talking, very fast - but now there seems to be "ten to the dozen"  meaning, I think, the same thing. This is very confusing...

Blue Straggler 14 Nov 2019
In reply to petemeads:

well this is very confusing, I've heard neither phrase! 

Twenty to the dozen is the phrase I've heard of, usually to describe speed of motion, talking or performing a task. But mostly the preserve of a previous generation and the generation prior to that, in rural County Durham. 

Google suggests 19 and 10 exist but a lot of confusion and discussion about 10. 

To me 10 to the dozen seems like "almost top speed", or another form of "most" (someone perhaps on the thread I link, mentions black cats being ten to the dozen, but only as their own hypothetical example based on a similar interpretation). 

This thread claims an interesting etymology for nineteen to the dozen. 

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/nineteen-to-the-dozen.1715514/

john arran 14 Nov 2019

These phrases are a dime a dozen nowadays!

wercat 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

"the exception that proves the rule".    I didn't know then that proves means "tests" in this usage.

I rather think that it is not used with this knowledge by many who use it.

first day at infant school, Lanchester, 1960, I was given what I thought was a tin of "pastilles" by the teacher which I much looked forward to opening to eat.  Sadly disappointing to find they were a scruffy assortment of wax crayons.

Post edited at 11:06
 petemeads 14 Nov 2019
In reply to john arran:

In the old days they were ten a penny...

neilh 14 Nov 2019
In reply to petemeads:

My grandpa had some lovely sayings :

”an apple without cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze”

Class 

Alyson 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I recall being very puzzled and perturbed by a sign in a lift saying "Do not use lift in case of fire". I thought it meant don't use the lift in case you start a fire. Why do you even have lifts then you crazy place?

I took the stairs, congratulating myself on my wisdom.

In reply to wercat:

I am confused, aren't pastels a bit more chalky? Or was there a brand of wax crayon called "Pastel" (this is ringing a very vague bell)? Or have I (or someone else) very much misunderstood something?

In reply to the sheep:

Here's one that I still don't understand

"Stand-up comic/comedian"

Is it a literal thing to distinguish them from a raconteur who would more usually be seated, or is it a play-on-words of some sort (cf "he's a really stand-up guy" meaning "he's a good and reliable person")? If the latter, I don't get it?
I am not saying that such a qualifier is redundant (you would describe Morecambe and Wise as comedians after all)

Hang on I think the penny has just dropped, with my previous sentence. D'oh!

wercat 14 Nov 2019

well it was 1960 - that should make you suspect my analysis of what was in the tin on grounds both of my age 4 and my memory.  Plus a degree of uncertainty about whether the teacher was being precise in her description rather than somewhat generic.  (Miss Errington)

Post edited at 18:19
 Pekkie 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

The older kids around me in assembly used to lustily sing 'So wank the Lord, oh wank the Lord for he-ee-ee is good!' This really confused me and I remember thinking 'that can't be right...'

rachelpearce01 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Elbow grease !

On April fools day whilst on a residential trip with school when I was around 10’years old, a teacher asked me to go and fetch some elbow grease of mr Smith as we were doing cleaning chores after breakfast. I went to mr smith who then sent me onto another teacher saying he didn’t have any, this teacher then sent me to the manager of the residential house we were staying in where the joke ended !

tehmarks 14 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Bookmark always threw me as a child:

'This is a bookmark.'
'Don't be silly grandma, that isn't a book.'

HakanT 15 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

My wife took our young daughter to the nurse to get her clogged ear rinsed out. When our daughter saw the result she exclaimed "Look at that big whack!" She thought wax was plural of whack.

In reply to the sheep:

"A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush"

Never understood why this was said .

Surely you could just keep the one in your hand and go get the other two if so inclined.

Then you've got 3 birds in your hands

In reply to the sheep:

As a small child I was very puzzled when told to ‘pull my socks up’ as they were already up. 

wercat 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Vanessa Simmons:

and what was all that talk of being "wet behind the ears"?

Gustavo 15 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

I used to think that when a football team had won on aggregate, they'd played the game on a gravel pitch..

Gone for good 15 Nov 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

> "A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush"

> Never understood why this was said .

> Surely you could just keep the one in your hand and go get the other two if so inclined.

> Then you've got 3 birds in your hands

I must admit it's one of my favourite metaphors. The moral being if you go for the 2 in the bush you will lose the one in your hand and end up with nothing at all. A very valuable life lesson in the dangers of wanton greed.

> I must admit it's one of my favourite metaphors. The moral being if you go for the 2 in the bush you will lose the one in your hand and end up with nothing at all. A very valuable life lesson in the dangers of wanton greed.

Yes I realize that as an adult but as a small child.i just didn't get the meaning.  Why did you have to drop one in the hand. 

Sounded odd at the time . 

In reply to the sheep:

One I tried not to understand was "Little children should be seen but not heard".

In reply to the sheep:

Last week I found our 3 Yr old sat half naked on the kitchen floor looking suspiciously at his pants. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was looking for ants. It turned out Mrs. X at nursery had told him off for wriggling and asked him if he had `ants in his pants' and he wanted to see if they were still there. 

Toccata 16 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Most of the parables in the New Testament puzzled me throughout childhood: nice stories but didn't seem to stand up to even gentle scrutiny. The ambivalence of the messages continued to bother me until recently when I head a Radio 4 series on some of the more well known ones and it appeared that no-one was really sure what they meant.

Bobling 16 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

"A stitch in time saves nine".  I couldn't fathom how one made a stitch in the fabric of time.

"Blood is thicker than water".  No it's not they are about the same thickness aren't they?

The reply to 'Whats for dinner?' being 'wait and see'.  I used to think Waite and Cee was a  firm of food manufacturers or some other brand name.

Removed User 17 Nov 2019
In reply to Bobling:

"Blood is thicker than water"-only if you add cornflour (Spike Milligan)

ablackett 17 Nov 2019
In reply to wercat:

> "the exception that proves the rule".    I didn't know then that proves means "tests" in this usage.

I didn't make sense to me until a few years ago, I always thought "an exception would disprove the rule, not prove it?!" Now I understand it to mean the "exception which suggests the generality", such as "no parking on Sundays" means you can park on Monday-Saturday.

Do I understand it now??

In reply to the sheep:

"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water"

Why say this ?

I don't recommend anyone throwing babies anywhere. 

wercat 17 Nov 2019
In reply to ablackett:

Sounds like it!

Blue Straggler 20 Nov 2019
In reply to the sheep:

Not quite a saying, and in fairness I think my confusion was totally reasonable on this point....but for years I wondered what was inherently “evil” about an American man on a motorbike jumping over buses. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...