UKC

Scalextric

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philip 23 Nov 2022

Looking at sets, not only have prices gone up but techology too.

Anyone with kids in the 6-10 age range got any advice on good options. Not sure about the micro range needing batteries. And I'm surprised how expensive "digital" sets are. I remember achieving the same thing with model trains and PICs in the 90s. Not to mention a pulse modulation power supply to insure better pull away. Do the non-ARC scalextric have this now or do you still get the cars jumping at the start.

ThunderCat 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

Same with technic Lego.  I recall getting the big chassis dune buggy thing when I was a kid and I know that given my mam's financial situation she wouldn't have been able to afford that if it had been as (relatively) expensive then as it is now.

pencilled in 23 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

We went through this decision and found a second hand old school set on flea bay. I’m glad we did as my 7 yr old at the time wasn’t quite so forthcoming with duraglit or any maintenance whatsoever and it’s in poor condition 3 or so years later. He’s into other stuff now. My wife keeps saying we should make it work and sell it. Yes she should. 

Rob Exile Ward 23 Nov 2022
In reply to pencilled in:

'My wife keeps saying we should make it work and sell it. Yes she should. '

I can relate to that!

OP Philip 23 Nov 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Lego is not what it was in the 90s. I remember getting a Lego set with Christmas money (10-20) that built multiple stuff. I also had motors and pneumatic.

Technic now is a ripoff, builds one or two things and has such specific parts you're limited in imagination.

Tempted to get the scalextric with the most number of configurations over any other feature.

Maggot 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

I've never forgiven my mate for not taking the opportunity of swapping his Sinclair QL for a decent Scalextric set back in the 80s

elliot.baker 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

I've got an old set on FB marketplace I'd part with! It's quite a big one with two cars... only...20 years old 

Siward 24 Nov 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

If I were after Scalextric that's exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for- 80s or 90s vintage preferably. 

stubbed 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

We were given a huge set (second hand) for the children and after initial interest they are not so bothered. It's huge, takes ages to set up, always results in arguments about who won. I'm not sure I'd pay money for a set, especially not new.

OP Philip 24 Nov 2022
In reply to stubbed:

I'm inclined to agree for the 1:32 scale.
Tempted to get the 1:64 which has loops and is much more like the manual hot wheels track they play with.

Enty 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

Any dads in the 30 - 50 range with kids in the 6-10 age range got any advice on good options.

Fixed that for you

E

Toerag 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

Scalectrix schmelectrix, I had TCR, you could make a gap in the track to allow a jump feature .  It's still in the loft, my boy's not old enough for it yet....

stubbed 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

Honestly mine play with hot wheels ten times more often than scalextric. Lego train is more popular too

OP Philip 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Enty:

Eh? I'll take advice from dads/mums/grandparents/uncles.

Mine are so fickle with toys - I'm sure some sort of subscription model where you get a toy for a month then send it off and get another would be better for the planet and parents sanity.

Ian W 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Enty:

> Any dads in the 30 - 50 range with kids in the 6-10 age range got any advice on good options.

> Fixed that for you

> E

yup, i'm beyond that age range, but my advice anyway would be to buy a load of old track off ebay or fb marketplace which is available really cheaply, then spend loads (and you can spend LOADS) on some superb models of your favourite classic cars (and some of them are seriously good). Then force your child, or grandchild, to sit quietly in the corner whilst you fulfil your [insert racing hero of your choice] dreams.

Post edited at 11:31
 hollie_w 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

Whirli are a toy subscription/rental service. Haven't used them myself, and think they are aimed a bit younger than your kids, but might be worth a look

In reply to Philip:

I used to build cars as a kid. I spent some lockdown time modelling up car chassis to 3D print. Haven't printed anything yet...

The motor magnets and tyres on my old cars have given up the ghost... You can get modern rare earth magnets for old RX motors. Was tempted.

Post edited at 14:00
 wercat 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Maggot:

Hah!, Advance you the 1970s.  I have just booted up an original Apple ][ Europlus from floppy Disk after repairing the Keyboard.  Computers ain't what they were back then ....

Even then they were styling stuff to make it an object of desire

Post edited at 14:13
 Dax H 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Toerag:

> Scalectrix schmelectrix, I had TCR, you could make a gap in the track to allow a jump feature .  It's still in the loft, my boy's not old enough for it yet....

My brother and me got a TCR one Christmas, excellent fun until we realised there was zero skill involved, with no slots and corner barriers unless you both went in to the corner at the same time it was impossible to come off the track so you just pinned the throttle. 

Scalectrix was a steep learning curve when we got one a few years later. 

Hooo 24 Nov 2022
In reply to Philip:

Maybe they actually work nowadays?

My overriding memory of Scalextric from the 70s and 80s is of a constant fiddle and faff to get the bloody thing working. I don't recall ever having an evenly matched race, because one car would be better than the other and at least one track wouldn't work all the way round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...