UKC

Scam emails from other poster.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 18 Mar 2019

Hi,

A few weeks ago, one of the other members emailed me through this site with some words of advice, which was helpful, and I replied to them about it.

What is less great is that their email account seems to be hacked and I'm regularly getting spam emails from them.

So, if your email is of the format pl______________26@hotmail.com, please check your account and change your password.

Obviously, I don't want to reply to the emails.

Thanks,

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Hi,

> A few weeks ago, one of the other members emailed me through this site with some words of advice, which was helpful, and I replied to them about it.

> What is less great is that their email account seems to be hacked and I'm regularly getting spam emails from them.

> So, if your email is of the format pl______________26@hotmail.com, please check your account and change your password.

> Obviously, I don't want to reply to the emails.

> Thanks,

I also am receiving  spam from a fellow poster who I believe was hacked sometime ago. 

Generally nonsense messages or advertising some bitcoin scam.

Not sure what whoever is sending them is hoping to achieve.

McHeath 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Same here, from a poster who's been notable by his absence since a thread of his got deleted.

In reply to McHeath:

> Same here, from a poster who's been notable by his absence since a thread of his got deleted.

Not sure if its the same poster ,  I don't know anything about the threads that got deleted.   Although I haven't seen any of their posts for a while so could be .

Ciro 18 Mar 2019

You can send an email "from" someone without hacking their account. If you're receiving spam, and you don't care enough about communicating with the person they appear to be coming from to contact them directly, best to just add the address they are coming from to your spam filter

OP LastBoyScout 18 Mar 2019
In reply to Ciro:

Yes, I know - I have software (legitimately) that will do exactly that. The exact details of where it came from should be there in the email trace, though.

Ciro 18 Mar 2019

> Yes, I know - I have software (legitimately) that will do exactly that. The exact details of where it came from should be there in the email trace, though.

Not really - SMTP does not contain authentication. There are ways to force authentication but it requires both the sender and receiver's domains to be configured to do so.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...