UKC

Schrodingers lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 30 Oct 2020

It seems from tomorrow's  (Times and Mail) media that we may or may not be finally getting a national lockdown on Wednesday.  Or not. Depending on how people react, perhaps? It is a cluster f*** of unimaginable proportions 

Removed User 30 Oct 2020
In reply to toad:

No better than the Heisenberg Lockdown that's been in some areas, where simply watching from afar is expected to have an effect.

Clauso 30 Oct 2020
In reply to toad:

> ... It is a cluster f*** of unimaginable proportions. 

The problem with people like you is, you just refuse to lie on the launchpad, fire up the rockets, and get behind the moonshot. 

OP toad 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Clauso:

I got the tan from somewhere. 

wintertree 30 Oct 2020
In reply to toad:

Schrödinger's virus is how I explain the risk control measures.

• In terms of how you protect others, you must act as if you have it and nobody else does
  • In terms of how you protect yourself, you must act as if you don't have it and everybody else does.
 Stichtplate 30 Oct 2020
In reply to toad:

> It seems from tomorrow's  (Times and Mail) media that we may or may not be finally getting a national lockdown on Wednesday.  Or not. Depending on how people react, perhaps? It is a cluster f*** of unimaginable proportions 

The real cluster f*ck is that he's left it too late. Again.

In reply to Stichtplate:

As I wrote to my MP earlier this week; it's disappointing that no lessons have been learned from the first wave (certainly not 'lockdown earlier to have a shorter lockdown').

Stichtplate 30 Oct 2020
In reply to wintertree:

> Schrödinger's virus is how I explain the risk control measures.

> In terms of how you protect others, you must act as if you have it and nobody else does

> In terms of how you protect yourself, you must act as if you don't have it and everybody else does.

I've every sympathy with this sentiment, but in a Global pandemic the actions of the individual are practically meaningless. It's up to the government to introduce widespread measures and to enforce them.

I follow guidelines to the letter and am scrupulous bordering on paranoid about personal infection control measures (hand washing, masks, social distancing etc) but I've also been getting on with my life and trying to preserve some vestige of normality for my kids. 

It really is down to the government to try and mitigate this crisis, so unfortunately, it looks like we're f*cked.

Offwidth 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Stichtplate:

Hey, lets look on the bright side. We were all guessing when this would happen earlier this week and its sooner than anyone suggested and that is good news.

afx22 31 Oct 2020
In reply to wintertree:

I really really like that!  Thanks.

In reply to Stichtplate:

> the actions of the individual are practically meaningless..

> I follow guidelines to the letter and am scrupulous bordering on paranoid about personal infection control measures (hand washing, masks, social distancing etc) 

The latter statement seems to directly contradict the former...

It takes individual responsibility to prevent transmission. Individual actions are very meaningful, since it is individuals that cause transmission. However, we also need good advice for those individuals to follow.

Stichtplate 31 Oct 2020
In reply to captain paranoia:

> > the actions of the individual are practically meaningless..

> The latter statement seems to directly contradict the former...

No contradiction. The actions of 'the' individual, singular. 

> It takes individual responsibility to prevent transmission. Individual actions are very meaningful, since it is individuals that cause transmission. However, we also need good advice for those individuals to follow.

It takes individuals acting en masse, which requires leadership, guidance and coordinated action. The UK's response has been lacking in all these areas from the outset.

In reply to Stichtplate:

"We're all individuals"...

I think we're in agreement...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...