UKC

Scumbag rant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 29 Aug 2019

Not looking for advice on this, just blowing off steam.

My mother, after an unsolicited phone call, was persuaded to take out a repair policy against her TV.  The thing is (apart from these policies always being rubbish) is that:

- the TV is  over 10 years old, and worth nothing

- she's 85 years old

- she has early stage dementia

- the policy is for 3 years and cost 180 GBP

- she has pancreatic cancer, and expected to live for just a few weeks

- no one else could possibly benefit from the policy

- the letter confirming the policy, didn't arrive until a week after the mandatory cancellation period had expired

The company, Home Cover Group, doesn't look especially legitimate from the Company's House free info.

Grrrrr.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Would be worth getting in contact with the local branch of the Alzheimer’s society- they’d be able to give advice, and may know if your local police have something like a ‘vulnerable victims’ coordinator who might be able to take the matter up

Nempnett Thrubwell 29 Aug 2019

Agreed - scumbags.

I'd be tempted to check what specifics were put down for the TV  - get down the local recycling centre find the biggest broken one of the same brand and demand they repair it. 

Mike Highbury 29 Aug 2019
In reply to Andy Gamisou: My mother was sold a broadband service which was absolutely no use to her. I rang up the provider and told them that it was mis-sold... which worked.

Removed User 29 Aug 2019

My Mother in law who has just died had a radio rentals tv that was not even a flat screen costing her a fortune.  And BT were charging her rental for a phone  that she had not used for year's.  She was very stubborn and did not like any one interfering.     Hidden hearing charged her £3k then another £500 for rechargeable battery system for hearing aids than could be purchased for 2k anywhere.

balmybaldwin 29 Aug 2019

If she has early stage dementia, do you have a power of attorney in place? If so you can argue she wasn't competent to sign the agreement.

If not, I suggest you get one in place before things go too far downhill.

Removed User 29 Aug 2019

Can you cancel any outstanding payments or have they already taken the lot?

wintertree 29 Aug 2019

Good work venting in here - it’s surprising how stuff like this can snowball your emotions when you’re in a situation like yours.

When my dad passed, his credit card firm were incredibly accommodating when it came to an ongoing disputes he was having.  If your mum paid on a card you might speak with them.  

I agree with capoap’s post - the degree to which British business - both small and established “household brands” deliberately exploit the elderly and vulnerable is disgusting.

Blue Straggler 29 Aug 2019

I have nothing to add other than that I am sorry to hear this. My ageing parents currently don't fall for this sort of thing (apart from around ten years ago when Dad fell for a "computer virus check" thing, but they are currently sound of body and mind. They will deteriorate in both, in time, and I'll have to be on the lookout for this sort of thing. 
Hopefully the venting has helped, and hopefully you'll be able to recoup some of the costs. 

Tringa 29 Aug 2019

Sorry to hear this, Andy. Cold calling companies are IMO the scum of the Earth.

Don't know if I have looked at the right company, but the terms and conditions for a company of the same name include -" You have the right to cancel your policy by giving notice of cancellation within 14 days of receipt of purchasing cover"

I think it could be argued that  "... receipt of purchasing cover",  means the 14 days doesn't start until the your mother received the policy documents.

Even if I haven't found the right company I can't see how the period during which cancellation can be considered can start before the policy holder has seen the policy - how can someone decide if a policy does what they want until they have seen it?

I think the first port of call should be the company. You might get a good response; from the company's point of view it is not a huge amount. If not, and it depends how far you want to go, but making it public might help.

I think it is appalling that it takes potential adverse publicity but often when a dispute is made public(eg programmes like Rip Off Britain) suddenly a company make a repayment.

Good luck.

Dave 

gethin_allen 29 Aug 2019

Check the date on the confirmation letter, I'm sure there's some rules about cancellation cooling off periods running from the date that the confirmation notice is received, and I'm guessing that she hasn't got E-mail so the letter would be the only confirmation.

From Money supermarket, regarding insurance policies - "By law, insurers must offer a minimum 14-day cooling-off period, during which you are entitled to cancel the policy. The cooling-off period starts when you receive your documents, or when the cover begins, whichever is the later."

Iamgregp 29 Aug 2019

This is an absolute joke - clearly a one man band calling elderly folk to get them to commit to ridiculous plans.

Did some digging on companies house (as have too) and although the company has no people named, and the address is a mail forwarding company, it looks like the fool who set up this company, Luke Alexander Ballantyne, also at one point set up another company ALB marketing (now dissolved).  This was registered to 136 Hillside, Brighton, England, BN2 4TE.  However from the names listed as living there it's clearly a house of students, I'd guess he doesn't live there any longer.

It says on companies house that he was born in 1994 so I'd hazard a guess this is he https://uk.linkedin.com/in/luke-ballantyne-3a1b8753 

I'd contact him, explain the situation and ask, politely for him to repay the money, if not make it clear you'll be passing this information on the the relevant authorities.

All of this info was taken from public documents which we have a right to have access to.

Blue Straggler 30 Aug 2019
In reply to Iamgregp:

Excellent work. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...