UKC

Self-binding gravel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Anderson 21 Mar 2019

Has anyone here had any experience of using self-binding-gravel for a garden? Not the type with resin, just the rough gravel and fines type.

We're thinking of using it for a courtyard-style garden but are hearing different opinions on how it drains. One guy says no problem - if it puddles in the early days just rake it up a bit in that area as it's been tamped too tightly, another says lots of puddles, the fines wash out, and it's a maintenance pain forever.

Anyone tried it?

RANGITOTO 21 Mar 2019
In reply to Phil Anderson:

Used it to make a patio last summer. Really easy to work with, does form a slight puddle if very wet but drains well. I wouldn't have the puddle if I had a big enough roller to get it completely flat. Plan to add some more in the spring to get rid of the slight dip. Big drips off overhanging branches did pit the surface until I cut them back.

Plan to use it again.

OP Phil Anderson 21 Mar 2019
In reply to RANGITOTO:

Great! Thanks for replying... Sounds good.

Anyone else?

graeme jackson 22 Mar 2019

never used it but would it not be possible to incorporate a slight camber so any water runs off into the borders?

jon 22 Mar 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

We've used this on our drive, laid on top of compacted hardcore then rolled and vibrated. It's laid to falls so water runs off. Clearly it is slightly porous as it's flat in a couple of places and any pooling disappears quite quickly.

Toerag 22 Mar 2019

It's known as 'hoggin' here and is basically decomposed granite crushed as necessary. It's been used on our cliff paths 'forever' and works well. You ideally need to lay it so the area is slightly domed so water runs off in downpours. Puddles won't drain very well and you end up with a sandy, gritty mud.

OP Phil Anderson 22 Mar 2019

Thanks all, that's reassuring. No horror stories so far at least.

Good tip on laying it slightly domed to get water to runoff.

Cheers,

Phil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...