UKC

Selling a non-running car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevieb 17 Sep 2021

Hi, I’ve got a 10 year old Ford galaxy with an auto gearbox problem. Replacing the gearbox would cost more than the car is worth, so almost certain to get rid of it. 
I can get around £250-300 for scrap, but wondered if the collective mind of UKC had any better ideas for how to sell it? It’s a bit battered bodywork wise, but the engine has been problem free, so it seems a shame to bin it

edit: it is still movable, but only in first gear. 

Post edited at 15:39
 robhorton 17 Sep 2021
In reply to stevieb:

You could try something like webuyanycar - quite possibly not worth any more than scrap but may as well try. Trading it in might be an option but again you're not going to get much for it and you'd need to be buying something else.

Neston Climber 17 Sep 2021
In reply to stevieb:

Last year I stuck an old car (2001 Ford fusion) with broken suspension on gumtree and a guy contacted me in minutes. He wanted it for his son as a project car at college. He had his own recovery van and came the next day from nearly 100miles away. Paid just above scrap price and did all the legal paperwork. 

Worth a try as I bet lots of people like him just have alerts set up. Better than it going for scrap right away.

Good luck 

Post edited at 16:41
 mountainbagger 17 Sep 2021
In reply to Neston Climber:

I got rear ended by a mechanic (no laughing at the back!). Wasn't much damage but my car was so sh*t it was a write off. He bought it off me rather than pay for it to be fixed or claim on insurance. Fixed it up himself to give to his aging parents. Everyone happy.

As you say, worth a try as might be people out there who have the ability to fix themselves or want it for a project.

In reply to stevieb:

Like others have said, could always be someone interested in buying if you can be bother with the hassle that maybe involved.

Never fails to amaze me how many are really into car diy/restoration projects. Someone with a similar model which needs work and could use yours for spares possibly.

OP stevieb 17 Sep 2021
In reply to robhorton:

Thanks. ‘Webuy’ was lower if I list as non running

OP stevieb 17 Sep 2021
In reply to Neston Climber:

Thanks, I might give gumtree a try. And I will be buying another car, so trade in is a possibility if the other car is near enough

Dax H 17 Sep 2021
In reply to stevieb:

Bung it on ebay. Trouble with gum tree is you need to set a price and you might under value it.

Last year I replaced the pick up with a crane on the back with a new one. I put the old one on ebay expecting maybe 3k on a good day. It went for 7k. 3 people got in to a bidding war. 

pec 17 Sep 2021
In reply to stevieb:

Lots of cars are advertised on ebay as "spares or repair". Try that.

Snyggapa 17 Sep 2021
In reply to stevieb:

Is it not running though, according to their guidance? If you could drive it there (or get it towed nearby and then drive in) does that affect the maths..?

deepsoup 17 Sep 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> Bung it on ebay.

I'd give this a try too.  Plenty of photos and a good description of what's wrong with it and what isn't, either start the bidding at the scrap value or at zero and set a reserve at the scrap value.  Good luck.

mike123 17 Sep 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

> I got rear ended by a mechanic (no laughing at the back!). Wasn't much damage but my car was so sh*t it was a write off. He bought it off me rather than pay for it to be fixed or claim on insurance. Fixed it up himself to give to his aging parents.

Everyone happy .

Did the thought cross your mind that he did it on purpose ? 

mike123 17 Sep 2021
In reply to mike123: to OP : eBay all the way 

mountainbagger 17 Sep 2021
In reply to mike123:

> Everyone happy .

> Did the thought cross your mind that he did it on purpose ? 

🤣

Doesn't matter, I got more than the car was worth! I realised I didn't need it either, and managed a whole year without buying another.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...