UKC

Shepard cafe toaster question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 31 May 2020

Morning all,

many on here people will have enjoyed the toastys at Shepards cafe . They are made on a toaster that toasts the top and bottom at the same time . What's one of those called ? For those not familiar It's like a horizontal toaster with a deck that the toasty sits on whilst being grilled .

thanks.

In reply to mike123:

Panini press?

https://images.app.goo.gl/wkXSFkGtpE7dhpy48

You can get smaller, cheaper domestic versions from usual outlets. Sometimes called sandwich press.

Post edited at 09:52
 Ridge 31 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> Like this? 

Also available with a conveyor option, put the bread on the conveyor at one side and toast comes out the other side.

GrahamD 31 May 2020
In reply to mike123:

I'd call it a sandwich toaster. 

GrahamD 31 May 2020
In reply to mike123:

Reminds me.  Last year I dug out my sandwich toaster from where it had been in storage since a kitchen refit.  I got an irresistible urge for a cheese and onion toast, so I got to work cleaning away the gunk (it had made it to storage without being cleaned) and got to work on the sandwich.  Totally pissed off when I finally plugged it in and it repeatedly tripped the house breaker 😔

marsbar 31 May 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

How annoying.  

marsbar 31 May 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I've used those on holiday.  Does it make me a big kid to love making toast in them?  

Dax H 31 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Nope, the conveyor belt toaster is literally the best thing since sliced bread. That is if the hotel has it dialed in properly, it's very annoying when you have to run it through twice to toast it. 

In reply to mike123:

I've always called them Toastie Making Machines - this is likely a colloquialism

Rob Exile Ward 31 May 2020
In reply to Dax H:

'That is if the hotel has it dialed in properly', I've never stayed in a hotel where it has been. You ALWAYS have to put bread through twice, and if you go away to do something else someone nicks yours or your have a standoff. 'That's mine, I think...'

Though I can't see why it should be so difficult, I grant you. 

Removed User 31 May 2020
In reply to mike123:

I thought that was a Fall album title. 

deacondeacon 31 May 2020
In reply to mike123:

The wall mounted vertical conveyor toaster is a thing of beauty and it definitely improved my holiday at the time. 

I came home, and straight away tried to buy one. I almost fainted when I saw the price though 😔

MG 31 May 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Though I can't see why it should be so difficult, I grant you. 

That's because you are clearly the sort of cad who over-toasts bagels. 

One pass for bagels; two for toast. 

marsbar 31 May 2020
In reply to Dax H:

I will admit to interfering with the controls when no one is looking.  

Wainers44 31 May 2020
In reply to Dax H:

> Nope, the conveyor belt toaster is literally the best thing since sliced bread. That is if the hotel has it dialed in properly, it's very annoying when you have to run it through twice to toast it. 

Ah but come on, the best bit of those toasters is watching the fire, and the panic when someone puts a croissant through it. They should read the sign....

marsbar 31 May 2020
In reply to Wainers44:

It is important to cut your croissants horizontally before putting them in.  

Wainers44 31 May 2020
In reply to marsbar:

> It is important to cut your croissants horizontally before putting them in.  

Ohhh I see, now that's clever....

OP mike123 01 Jun 2020
In reply to marsbar: that's  it exactly . Thanks . Thank you all for replys , I should have put " not like a toasty maker " in the OP . I had an interesting " discussion " yesterday about how normally toasty machines didn't make toastys as they effectively fried the bread and so made a fried bread sandwich , whereas the Alexa machine at Shepard s cafe ( as linked to by marsbar above ) makes real toast and hence a real toasty . Shepards cafe is a realativly easy and nice cycle from our house and one of life's simple pleasures for me is to cycle there after work for to sit in the sun with a brew and a cheese toasty . At home : 17 grain home made orgNic sour dough with old sructoucks 5 year old organic cheddar . At at Shepards , Aldi thick sliced white bread and cheap cheese . ( i once heard martin  , the then cafe owner,  talking to an expensively clad outdoors type : " what type of cheese is on the toastys ? " reply : " orange " . ) . 

Post edited at 11:05
OP mike123 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Removed UserBlustutu:

> I thought that was a Fall album title.

Have a like , but surely more like half man half biscuit ? 

In reply to mike123:

> i once heard martin  , the then cafe owner,  talking to an expensively clad outdoors type : " what type of cheese is on the toastys ? " reply : " orange " 

Ahh, I miss Martin. What a character.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...