UKC

Should I stop caring?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 toad 18 Dec 2017

I just watched a supermarket delivery truck come within a gnats of sideswiping a cyclist. He overtook on a straight and just turned in way too soon, pushing the bike up the kerb. Cyclist didn’t even come off, I guess because he was young and responsive, but just carried on.

I saw where the wagon was delivering and spoke to the driver, ( in a reasonable way)who just didn’t care, even laughed at me. I had a brief word with the supermarket manager, but I’ve no idea if anything will happen. I’m now a bit stressed and uptight at home. Nothing happened, someone drove like a tit and got away with it, the guy on the bike was obviously fine, and I’m worrying about might have been.

Do I just need some perspective?

I saw a couple of horrible and unnecessary jack-knives in the snow the other weekend, caused by hgvs pushing it when they should have pulled up, so maybe I’m predisposed to being antagonistic, but the consequences could have, might have, etc etc been horrible.
 plyometrics 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

Don't stop caring. Your intervention may, one day, save someone's life.

Do stop stressing and worrying about it though; life's way too short for that.
 Ciro 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

It's good to care - if we all stopped to have a word things would change. OTOH, if it's leaving you feeling stressed, avoid the confrontation. I imagine a quick call to the supermarket's customer services would be much more pleasant... it's their job to take your complaint seriously
 Andy Johnson 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:
You did the right thing. Don't stop caring.

There's nothing more you can do about this particular situation, so my suggestion would be to find something to take your mind off it.
Post edited at 17:28
 balmybaldwin 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:
You did the right thing.

May be worth reporting to the police for info - whilst they are unlikely to do anything just from your report, you may find the cyclist was more shaken than you think and already reported it and your account may mean action is taken.

Edit to say - the only thing else I would say is that if you make a habit of behaving like this (and doing the right thing) you may come across a driver that is considerably less reasonable - so be wary. Being in the right and in hospital isn't a great outcome
Post edited at 18:50
In reply to toad:

> Do I just need some perspective?

Your perspective is just fine; spot on. It may cause a driver to, in spite of the seasonal rush, take a nadge more care (this may come after a word from his boss rather than just spontaneously).

What you need is to de-stress. Doing the right thing can, in spite of the good karma points you earn, also cause unhelpful physiological reactions because of the confrontation it can involve. Burn off the angst with a bit of exercise, give yourself a mental pat on the back and, as it's nearly Christmas, have a wee dram.

T.
 Yanis Nayu 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

You did the right thing, and thanks, because it could’ve been me on the bike.
 CasWebb 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

One of my relatives children was killed by a hgv driver doing exactly that. You absolutely did the right thing and please don't stop caring.
In reply to toad:

> Do I just need some perspective?

No; your perspective is fine.

Contact the driver's company. They usually take a dim view of behaviour like that.
 Heike 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

Don't stop caring. For what it's worth, I have attended a number of accidents as a first aider (first on scene) (why so many I don't know) and I wish people would have taken more care in the first place. And if there is none who cares to a) prevent incidents or b) help out when they happen the world will be a worse place.

And, as a cyclist, I could have been the victim of this, too. However, I would also say to cyclists (as I would to drivers of cars), don't ride aggressively, always be courteous and always look ahead and anticipate he worst. I think a lot of people have this " I am right attitude". There is a joke saying in German about victims of road death: "On their gravestone it said "He had the right of way!".
 profitofdoom 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

> I’ve no idea if anything will happen. I’m now a bit stressed and uptight at home. Nothing happened, someone drove like a tit and got away with it, the guy on the bike was obviously fine, and I’m worrying about might have been. Do I just need some perspective?

No, you absolutely do not 'need some perspective'. A life was nearly lost or could have been lost. It would be great if everyone cared like you care

Thanks for posting
 Dave the Rave 18 Dec 2017
In reply to Heike:

> There is a joke saying in German about victims of road death: "On their gravestone it said "He had the right of way!".
Cracks me up every time that one
 Philip 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

Tweet at supermarket that dangerous driving is bad, but rude driver and no response from management when reported is worse.

Tag a few other tweeters, like local newspaper.

Or just drop it.
 LastBoyScout 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

Don't stop caring - again, it could have been me on the bike.

What BalmyBaldwin said - "May be worth reporting to the police for info - whilst they are unlikely to do anything just from your report, you may find the cyclist was more shaken than you think and already reported it and your account may mean action is taken."

Cyclist may well not have reported it unless they got the reg no, and even then might not. On the other hand, if they had a handlebar cam, the police will use your evidence to back that up, so do, please, report it to them, get a crime number and pass that to whoever you spoke to at the supermarket.
In reply to Philip:

Yes, social media can be very powerful.

If your comments aren't simply deleted...
OP toad 18 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

Thanks guys. Been out with some friends. Slightly more even keel now. Ta.
In reply to toad:

Maybe email the company that owns the wagon. Report the incident to the police as dangerous driving. I've done these things in similar circumstances. That driver will kill someone as he clearly doesn't care. Take action every time.
 jkarran 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> That driver will kill someone as he clearly doesn't care. Take action every time.

Or he does care but perhaps he's under pressure and embarrassed by being confronted with a mistake he may or may not have been aware of and being so does not behave 'appropriately'. Nobody likes to be challenged, we nearly all bristle and get defensive one way or another, that doesn't mean we don't care, it's just default self protective behaviour. Who knows, he may well have gone home thinking about like Toad has. I don't see what's to be gained by always assuming the very worst of people.

Toad: Good for you pointing it out, it may make a difference.
jk
 Timmd 20 Dec 2017
In reply to jkarran:

Laughing seems to be a bit different to bristling? I generally try and assume the best, or try to be neutral, but a lot road users don't seem to see beyond their own 'bubble of perception', it can sometimes seem. You make a good point though.
 jkarran 20 Dec 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Laughing seems to be a bit different to bristling?

Laughter comes out in all sorts of seemingly inappropriate situations, it's frequently used to cover embarrassment or defuse tension.
jk
 SuperLee1985 21 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:

I have heard with more and more people having dashcams in their cars these days many local police departments are accepting dashcam footage sent in by members of the public to prosecute those doing the dangerous driving.
If you feel strongly about this it may be worth investing in a dash-cam yourself so you can fight back a bit more actively in the future.
It's something I've been thinking about doing myself, but not quite got round to it yet.
 profitofdoom 21 Dec 2017
In reply to SuperLee1985:

> I have heard with more and more people having dashcams in their cars these days

I wish every vehicle on the road had a compulsory dashcam. It might keep some of the occasional idiots I see driving away from me
 K Farrell 21 Dec 2017
In reply to toad:
I cycle to work everyday, it is only 6km and I get cut up, pulled out on, almost car door-ed, beeped at, shouted at, overtaken just before corners etc etc, every single day. That is honestly no exaggeration, this is the worst commute I have ever had to do.

I have a sense of self preservation on a bike, which sometimes means I pull out early to go around cars or to turn right at junctions and ride a bit further out from the curb to avoid potholes (which are numerous on this commute). I do try to anticipate everyone doing everything wrong and thankfully I haven't come a cropper yet. Unfortunately I fear this is only a matter of time. I just wish people would value my life as much as they value their own as ultimately, I am the one that will end up in hospital regardless of who is in the right. I am someones daughter, girlfriend, friend, sister, if only people would remember that. Is it ignorance, stupidity, malice? Who knows.

Please don't stop caring, and please don't stop calling people out on it. As someone has said previously maybe the message will register and you might just save someones life.
Post edited at 11:26
 Timmd 21 Dec 2017
In reply to K Farrell:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=air%20zound

I'm not sure why there's the price difference, but these air horns are good for making somebody look in your direction if you can't do otherwise and they might drive into you.
OP toad 26 Dec 2017
In reply to K Farrell:

Wow. Just seen this. Don't worry. I know it's a fine line between busybody and activist, but you're right and i will. Merry christmad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...