UKC

Skin allergic reaction to grass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 07 Jul 2021

When running at this time of year I often end up bashing through long grass. I now get a really bad rash over all skin which has touched it and it's really hot and itchy. 

I have hayfever, so presumably some sort of linked allergy, and I already take antihistamines for the hayfever. 

It does settle down after a shower and some liberal application of antisan, but I am wondering if there is some sort of barrier cream which would stop it happening in the first place? Anyone know if that's a thing? 

I can hopefully get into the pharmacy tomorrow to ask about it, but just wondering if anyone has any over the counter remedy they use for the same issue?

Lankyman 07 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Cow pats. How often do you see cattle with rashes?

Hooo 07 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I get the same thing, and I assume it's because of my hayfever. But I just take Benadryl and that stops both. It's odd that your antihistamine works for the hayfever but not the rash.

I'm so scared of ticks nowadays that I wear tights if I'm running through grass anyway. 

OP girlymonkey 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Hooo:

My antihistamines work for my hayfever to an extent, but on bad days I do have to add a nose spray too. It is possible they just moderate this skin reaction from very bad to very uncomfortable!

I get ticks no matter what I wear! I couldn't even walk in long legs in this heat let alone think about running in it. I am very Scottish when the weather gets warm!

plyometrics 07 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Get exactly the same thing with grass pollen and running, it can look pretty bad on occasions. Sometimes get the rash on arms and other areas too, where I assume the pollen is airborne. That said, a shower always does the trick for me, and the odd antihistamine when required. 

SouthernSteve 07 Jul 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

I see lots of cows with spots!

Yanis Nayu 07 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I get the same but don’t do anything about it. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

If you have the genes for atopic dermatitis it is quite likely you have a null mutation for filaggrin and your barrier function will be affected. So whether it is a direct pollen/allergen hypersensitivity reaction or an irritant reaction is difficult to say. I have seen such reactions reported on several running forums. You are not alone. 

In reply to Hooo:

Antihistamines have a poor reputation in skin disease both for clinical signs on the skin and pruritus. That does not stop them being used lots!

OP girlymonkey 07 Jul 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

I have had issues with my feet for many years which is now starting to be suspected to be atopic dermatitis, so that would definitely fit in.

mik82 07 Jul 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Depends on whether they're being used correctly for itch/rash caused by histamine release (e.g. urticaria) or not

In reply to mik82:

Histamine induced itch, mediated via the H1 receptor is not that important, although plays a part - IL-31 is the big player (produced by T-cells and mast cells). I agree about the role in urticaria perhaps explaining why they are more useful for ocular disease and allergic rhinitis, but at a recent meeting at the centre for evidence based dermatology in which we discussed this there was broad consensus they were poor both in animals and people for skin disease.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...