UKC

snow day on friday??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 haworthjim 16 Jan 2013
The forecast is looking promising and ive started making a sledge. bring on the gridlock.
 Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

Ummm...no thanks. Am travelling up to the Lakes from the Midlands on Friday.
OP haworthjim 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: good luck with that and enjoy the jam.
 Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

What a pleasant post
In reply to Ava Adore: Thankyou very much.
 lummox 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
> (In reply to haworthjim)
>
> Ummm...no thanks. Am travelling up to the Lakes from the Midlands on Friday.

Hmmm, that could prove an interesting drive, if models are right. When you setting orff ?
In reply to Ava Adore: I'm sure that it was just a mick take but seriously, have you seen the reports.

I will be working from home on Friday and I'm thinking about panick buying diesel to store in my lounge, buying every loaf of bread in town and hoarding butter and milk in the bath tubs.
Jim C 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:
I am travelling to our Club hut in Glen Clova, on Friday afternoon, staying the weekend (or possibly longer ?)
 Hat Dude 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:
>
> Ummm...no thanks. Am travelling up to the Lakes from the Midlands on Friday.

Me too; will be heading off to Borrowdale at around 7:00pm.should be fun!
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: of course bread!! ive forgotten to panic buy. right I'm off to tesco!
ps; sorry Ava if you thought i was being unpleasent.
 PontiusPirate 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Ava Adore:

> Am travelling up to the Lakes from the Midlands on Friday.

I might see you for ski-ing on Sunday then!
Though that assumes that I have transport as the cold appears to have done BAD THINGS to my car - grindy noises are never good...

PP.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
> (In reply to Ava Adore) I'm sure that it was just a mick take but seriously, have you seen the reports.
>
> I will be working from home on Friday and I'm thinking about panick buying diesel to store in my lounge, buying every loaf of bread in town and hoarding butter and milk in the bath tubs.

Thats 'panic' by the way before the UKC spelling police come along.

Annoyingly, the forecast says its not coming as far east as Newark so as always, we will miss the best (or worse depending on if you are travelling to the Lakes).

In reply to haworthjim:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) of course bread!! ive forgotten to panic buy. right I'm off to tesco!
> ps; sorry Ava if you thought i was being unpleasent.

I wouldnt if I were you, you might find something you dont want to eat in their bread.

Cappa 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

I have been informed today at work that im expected to walk up to 10miles during heavy snow(if other transportation isn't running) to get to work as i live with in that distance.

So looks like no Snow day for me!!

Timmd 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:
>
> I have been informed today at work that im expected to walk up to 10miles during heavy snow(if other transportation isn't running) to get to work as i live with in that distance.
>
> So looks like no Snow day for me!!

Ring in and say you've slipped in the snow and twisted your ankle? Kinda serious. ()
 Neil Williams 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa:

...thus risking, if you get injured, you being off work for a significant period of time?

Neil
 Tall Clare 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

Forecasts seem to be varying wildly. The Accuweather one on my phone says 14cm of snow for Skipton on Friday!
 Ava Adore 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers) of course bread!! ive forgotten to panic buy. right I'm off to tesco!
> ps; sorry Ava if you thought i was being unpleasent.

no worries
 andy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
>
> Forecasts seem to be varying wildly. The Accuweather one on my phone says 14cm of snow for Skipton on Friday!

As a keen follower of the weather forecast thread on Snowheads, I can tell you that Accuweather is based on the US GFS model, which has less credibility than the ECM model. It does tend to leap about more than most of the models, apparently.

That's about all I can tell you though...
 Timmd 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa: You'd only have to slip off a curb you know...
 Rubbishy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I'm in the Cairngorms at the weekend doing ML'y stuff. I suspect we wont make it to the Hutchison hut, so looks like Ryvoan instead

or the bar
 lummox 16 Jan 2013
In reply to John Rushby: thought you were crocked ?? Not that I'm jealous or owt... enjoy the Old Mill
aultguish 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:
I've got to get from Stirling to Manchester and then the Lakes, oh joy!
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: thats what i'm hoping for-itll save me buying bacon (or even cheval)
 Rubbishy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to lummox:

THe old falling vacuum cleaner injury - should be better if I rest it and the Ginjer Ninja gives me a rub down.
 MJ 16 Jan 2013
In reply to John Rushby:

THe old falling vacuum cleaner injury

Is that the one when you're hoovering in the nude and you "accidently get your knob sucked into the hose"?

lummox 16 Jan 2013
In reply to MJ: How did you know Rushby was the inspiration for Viz's Morris Day Sexual Pervert ?
 John_Hat 16 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

Driving up to Leeds for some meetings, then driving back down again...

or not, as the case may be. Having a 4x4 and a passable ability to drive in the snow doesn't make a lot of difference if the 4000 people ahead of you have not...
 Rubbishy 16 Jan 2013
In reply to MJ:

ha - The nurse at A&E did say when a vacuum is to blame it usually involves the bottom, not the head

Top tip - when vaccing the steps, don't have the Hoover above you and think - "that hose will reach.....just....one....mnore....step.....oh shit I'm bleeding and I've put me back out"

Ambliance!!
Flat4matt 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:
Ive got to get from castleford to manchester airport on friday(in rush hour aswell) i suspect the "rush" hour may run into hours on the m62 as it often does for even the most trivial of things never mind a light dusting of snow!!!
 Ava Adore 17 Jan 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:

WTF???

a
 Bimble 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

Giving myself a day off tomorrow & heading to the Long Mynd for a stroll with some friends, as the snow here is rather heavy already and due to continue. I am trying to resist the temptation to take kit and camp on the top...
 mattrm 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

I have a 15 minute walk to work and the boss knows I'm a mountaineer, so I don't think I've got any excuses. Could be a nice quiet day I guess.
 SAF 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim: Working all weekend, already been told that if neccesary just turn in at nearest ambulance station, so no snow day for me on saturday So please if anyone is heading to snowdonia keep it nice and slow on the A55 and don't create any work for me!!!!
KevinD 17 Jan 2013
In reply to SAF:

email just been sent round. Got "take work home if possible, if not try to get in but dont put yourself at risk".
unfortunately no day off for me since it would be a tad hard to explain how i managed to work rest of week at home but then it suddenly all went wrong when it snowed.
 Ramblin dave 17 Jan 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to SAF)
>
> email just been sent round. Got "take work home if possible, if not try to get in but dont put yourself at risk".
> unfortunately no day off for me since it would be a tad hard to explain how i managed to work rest of week at home but then it suddenly all went wrong when it snowed.

"The internet pipes froze solid..."
redsonja 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Cappa: my ex-boss used to tell us all we had to walk to work if we couldnt get our cars there. she was shouting at us once, telling us we all had to get ourselves to work "i manage so you should too". stupid woman lived on site!!
redsonja 17 Jan 2013
In reply to mattrm: takes me an hour to walk to work but i do it regularly to save petrol. so my boss just expects me to get in, regardless of whether anyone else does! not fair
 LastBoyScout 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

I usually work from home on a Friday anyway, so no snow day for me.

Complications may arise with getting the car to it's MOT, though...
 AdCo82 17 Jan 2013
has the snow started falling for anyone yet?
In reply to An Triubhas:

Started sprinkling in Derbyshire. I arrived too late at the supermarket - the shelves were stripped bare. Fortunately I managed to get the essentials: vodka, nutrageous bars, and ice.
redsonja 17 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas: nothing in the lakes yet and on the BBC just now it doesnt look like we will get anything other than a sprinkling tomorrow afternoon. hope its wrong!
 tk421 17 Jan 2013
In reply to Turdus torquatus:
Why the need for ice when it's about to chuck it with snow?
 Bimble 17 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:
> has the snow started falling for anyone yet?

Little bit when I was coming through Kidderminster around 3pm, nothing here now though. Yet...
 ebygomm 17 Jan 2013

Started at lunchtime in Nottinghamshire but fairly light. People were panic buying in Aldi already
 Tim Sparrow 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim: Snowed all day in Mid Wales. Melted a bit slower than it fell so not a lot of change. Good base for the anticipated Armageddon.
 RichardP 17 Jan 2013
In reply to heidi123:
> (In reply to mattrm) takes me an hour to walk to work but i do it regularly to save petrol. so my boss just expects me to get in, regardless of whether anyone else does! not fair

Pull the health and safety card.
a warm on a summers day is different to a walk in near Arctic conditions
if your normal travel time is 10 minute drive, will she pay you the 1.5 hours that it's take you in bad weather

In reply to jleong:
> (In reply to Turdus torquatus)
> Why the need for ice when it's about to chuck it with snow?

I don't know the emoticon for irony.
 toad 17 Jan 2013
In reply to ebygomm:
> (In reply to Turdus torquatus)
>
> Started at lunchtime in Nottinghamshire but fairly light. People were panic buying in Aldi already

I used to work in Sneinton. The only person who regularly "couldn't make it in" on Snowdays lived in Bakersfield. At the time I was commuting from Leicester. Really ticked me off...
 tk421 17 Jan 2013
Neither do I seem to have the literacy for it. Whisky would be better than vodka
redsonja 17 Jan 2013
In reply to RichardP: i mentioned the safety aspect of it once when a car almost skidded in to one of my colleagues. she ignored me. but then she told us we are not allowed through the door in to the kitchen in our outdoor clothes because of health and safety! you cant win with her. and no she doesnt pay extre- she just expects us to set off sooner
 ebygomm 17 Jan 2013
In reply to toad:

You could sledge to work in Sneinton from Bakersfield
Bingers 17 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

You go careful with that sledge Jim, there could be an accident.

Do you deserve a snow day after all that other time off with self inflicted injuries.

Are you going to join your sister on the Forest School First Aid course - you know you really ought to.
 climbingpixie 17 Jan 2013
In reply to An Triubhas:

It's been snowing in Leeds for the last couple of hours. It's very pretty!

I will be working from home tomorrow. As much as I love having the facility it does suck that I never get snow days any more.
OP haworthjim 18 Jan 2013
Work as normal for me. gutted dot com
 Tony the Blade 18 Jan 2013

I'm on my way to Sainsbury's to panic buy UHT milk, bread, powdered egg and strawberry laces!
OP haworthjim 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Bingers: Haha there is no way im sledging with my wrist- ill be chief photographer and flask carrier!
Id love to but i havnt had any info or invite. Whos organising it(BCEP?) and see if i can get in the clique (sorry cohort).
 ring ouzel 18 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim: Weather this morning did not mention snow for the Black Isle so it was something of a surprise to open the curtains and see it falling. Hopeful for a few centimetres so I can take out the mountain bike tomorrow.
 SAF 18 Jan 2013
In reply to Tony the Blade:
>
> I'm on my way to Sainsbury's to panic buy UHT milk, bread, powdered egg and strawberry laces!

Damn it ...I forgot the strawberry laces... I'm doomed!!!
OP haworthjim 21 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim: Looking really good for a snow day todayy- really heavy snowfall at the moment.
 Tall Clare 21 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

Snow day here just outside Skipton...
 JimboWizbo 21 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim: I wish we had snow days
 Radioactiveman 21 Jan 2013
In reply to haworthjim:

bloody raining in kendal, well pissed off. Hope its falling as snow up on the fells.

What do they need snow for in all those daft southern places like southampton etc.

I am going to start a petition for the government to build giant helicopter mounted vacuum's and suck it all for redistribution in the hills/
 Tony the Blade 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Radioactiveman:
>
> I am going to start a petition for the government to build giant helicopter mounted vacuum's and suck it all for redistribution in the hills/

Would that be a MoD or civilian helo?
 John_Hat 21 Jan 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Plenty of snow here (had about a foot over the weekend), but sadly no snow day. Lady Blue has just bugg@red off to work in my 4x4 and I am digging her car (Seat Leon) out to see if I can get it moving as got a meeting in central Brum today...

Neighbour just went past walking the mile or so to his work. He's got two BMW's and made the comment when passing that he didn't feel that ending up in someone else's car was a good look...
 Tall Clare 21 Jan 2013
In reply to John_Hat:

I've got a meeting in Sheffield - waiting to find out if it's postponed - and otherwise, I have a pile of work to get on with here. It's a snow day in that we have Mr TC's kids today and their school is closed - they're already well on with their second snowman of the weekend.

Mr TC's car has big fat low profile tyres so that's not going anywhere, but once again TC's plucky Ford with (relatively) skinny tyres wins the day...
Sarah G 21 Jan 2013
I looked out of my window at 6am thinking I might have to call in a snow day- around 5-6 inches fell overnight. All my hard work spent clearing my car and bit of road during the week was completely wasted. But i got up super early, and swept off the car (again) with the yard brush, found it to be pleasantly warm outside and off i went on nice fresh snow, nice and grippy. Once I got to the main road, it was just wet slush, no bother there, and no or little actual fresh snow had fallen in Chester le Street or Sunderland. So I turned up at work by 7.30, a whole hour early. Bugger. As usual, the conditions in and around my village were completely deceptive and once out of it, road conditions were ok. Oh well. No snow day for me then.

Sx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...