UKC

Social media boycott by football clubs

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Footy fans amongst us will no doubt be aware of what is happening, basically this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56932539

While online abuse must be stamped out one way or another, I can’t help thinking that a boycott of 4 days isn’t going to cut it. Why aren’t these clubs simply boycotting social media for good until the issues are resolved? Are likes, popularity and advertising revenue (via social media) more important than preventing your staff being racially abused through these platforms?

4 days, that’ll learn em (not) I suspect they’ll just get 4 days worth when they switch back on...

Post edited at 21:12
In reply to wilkie14c:

Agree 100%. 

In reply to wilkie14c:

> Footy fans amongst us will no doubt be aware of what is happening, basically this:

> While online abuse must be stamped out one way or another, I can’t help thinking that a boycott of 4 days isn’t going to cut it. Why aren’t these clubs simply boycotting social media for good until the issues are resolved? Are likes, popularity and advertising revenue (via social media) more important than preventing your staff being racially abused through these platforms?

> 4 days, that’ll learn em (not) I suspect they’ll just get 4 days worth when they switch back on...

More importantly, how is it that business has become so beholden to a few over poweful tech companies that such displays are ultimately pointless. 

In reply to wilkie14c:

> Are likes, popularity and advertising revenue (via social media) more important than preventing your staff being racially abused through these platforms?

Generally, yes. Not that they will ever admit it, therefore responses will be muted and temporary

wbo2 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wilkie14c: I was under the impression this was a start and more are very longer.

And starting is better than doing nothing

yorkshireman 30 Apr 2021
In reply to wilkie14c:

> 4 days, that’ll learn em (not) I suspect they’ll just get 4 days worth when they switch back on...

Well, I didn't know about it (this particular incident, obviously I know about the wider problem) and now I do, so it's potentially having a positive effect but I agree, a lot more needs to be done.

What would be more effective would be for big advertisers to hold back. 4 days doesn't sound like much but according to 2020 figures, 4 days worth of social media paid advertising generated $450 million for these companies. I can imagine that number is higher now.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...