UKC

Soundbar(for TV)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Don'tTellHim Pike 05 Jul 2013
Wifey and me find tv sound is not what it used to be - partly down to age probably plus apparently the speakers are a lot smaller and point in the wrong direction. I was in Currys today and I saw a soundbar(Never heard of them before) I'm thinking this might be what we need. Has anyone got one? Recommendations please?
 Tall Clare 05 Jul 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

We have a Yamaha one that Mr TC's dad gave us - it's now four or five years old. I think it's very good but being a complete Luddite I have nothing to compare it to. The main music computer in the house streams through it, as does the TV.
 Neil Williams 05 Jul 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

I have a Philips one. Well worth it.

Neil
Don'tTellHim Pike 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: And do they just plug into the tv audio sockets?
 Tall Clare 05 Jul 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

I'd have to have a look. Give me half an hour and I shall report back.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

I bought a LG one yesterday, the speakers on the flat screen tele are a bit feeble. Sounds good - better highs and lows than the TV and much less 'muffled' when you crank it up! £150 of Amazon.

We choose the LG NB2520A as it came top in a recent Which? test.

Chris
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris Craggs:

It connects via an optical cable not the a/v cable that came in the box - which caused a bit of fuming!

Chris
In reply to GrumpySod:

Yes, mine will take an optical, digital coax or analogue input. It also has a headphone type socket for connecting e.g. an iPod.

The *only* thing I don't like about it is that even though I have a Philips TV as well it requires a separate remote.

Neil
 stewieatb 05 Jul 2013
In reply to GrumpySod:

Great scam isn't it? Look at our shiny new thin TV's, great picture, a zillion pixels... Oh, the sound is shit because the speakers are on the back and are the size of spam tin lids, so you'll need to spend more money on a sound system.

Christ I sound old. I'm 20!

You can get a reasonable sound bar for about £100 if you know where to look. We have a Philips one in the front room at home and it works pretty well, has a small subwoofer attached. Takes the sound from the TV via an optical cable, but it also accepts Phono (red and white), 3.5mm and coaxial. Much better quality and volume than the TV speakers.
In reply to stewieatb:

Sounds like the same one I've got. Bought mine from Argos, it was somewhere around that price.

Yes, I was seriously miffed off at the quality of the sound from pretty much every flat panel TV. The 12 year old 21" CRT it replaced had far better sound.

Neil
 LRB 06 Jul 2013
In reply to Neil Williams:

That's the trade off of having super thin flat screen TVs...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...