UKC

Sparrowhawk (male) and kestrel.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 12 Apr 2021

Sparrowhawk are usually very ‘flighty’, but just managed a long range shot. 

Myfyr Tomos 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Lucky you. Seldom see them on the ground - has he got anything in his talon?

ps. should hear the cuckoo here by the end of the week if the last few years are anything to go by. Wind is wrong though...

Post edited at 07:57
 veteye 13 Apr 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> ps. should hear the cuckoo here by the end of the week if the last few years are anything to go by. Wind is wrong though...

You should eat less cabbage and beans then.

Lovely images of the birds. I agree, I have only ever got a shot of the Sparrowhawk flying away from my garden, in a blur.

In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

I thought it may have had its prey, but think it’s a lump of moss. I’ve heard lots of blackcap recently, sedge and Cetti’s warblers. Still not many swallows though. 

rsc 13 Apr 2021

We were lucky - this one sat for 20 minutes on the bird feeders a couple of months ago. Apologies for the poor photo, it was a young male not yet in full adult plumage. It seemed to know where it’s tea was coming from though!

By the way, I’m enjoying your posts - thanks!

In reply to rsc:

Cool. I remember Chris Packham on winter watch (?) saying ‘we are going to show you Britain’s best bird. Not best species. But actually Britain’s best bird.’  Somewhere near Aviemore iirc and this male Sparrowhawk landed on a favourite perch. Couldn’t disagree with him. It’s was a total stonker. I think the fact we often get fast blurry glimpses makes a good stationary view, or of a kill, even better.  I’m on a mission to get a really good photo though. 

Dave Todd 13 Apr 2021

I've just come back from a short, evening run (Lake District) and at one point I was running down a farm track and noticed a load of feathers across the path.  A couple of strides further along I saw the body of the (freshly killed) pigeon and came to a sudden halt right next to the carcass when I realised that the Sparrowhawk was still busy pulling its prey to pieces.  I literally could have tapped the Sparrowhawk on the head with my foot!  I looked down at the Sparrowhawk, and it looked up at me - seemingly not that bothered.  "Hello" I said softly, then it took off unhurriedly and flew gently over a nearby wall and out of sight.

That is - by a long way - the closest that I've ever been to a Sparrowhawk.  Magical.

In reply to Dave Todd:

Excellent. It most likely would have returned and finished its meal - they extend that much energy they need to. I’ve witnessed this with a big female Sparrowhawk and a wood pigeon. Sparrowhawks are a top bird. 

Dave Todd 14 Apr 2021

Yes, I'm sure it would have been back within minutes - it had clearly just started the job!

It was just such an odd look that it gave me as we (briefly) regarded each other, eye-to-eye.  It had a slight air of disinterested embarrassment about it (apols for anthropomorphism)

Lankyman 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave Todd:

I've had similar close encounters with buzzards. Once in the Dales when I interrupted one eating a weasel and once in the Lakes when I almost stepped on one as I came round a corner. You get to see what big magnificent birds they are even if only briefly. Once I watched a sparrowhawk trying to drown a magpie in a puddle in carpark. As I got out of my car the hawk loosened its grip and the magpie managed to get under my car. One lucky bird. I've also watched a sparrowhawk chase and catch a small bird in a garden bush. Only a beak was left later

Michael Hood 14 Apr 2021

Grrrr 

Had one fly through between the houses a couple of days ago. It even sat in a tree at the back for all of maybe 2 seconds - colour as it fleetingly dashed past looked more male but it seemed quite large - yet again unable to definitively sex it.

Fozzy 14 Apr 2021

> Excellent. It most likely would have returned and finished its meal - they extend that much energy they need to. I’ve witnessed this with a big female Sparrowhawk and a wood pigeon. Sparrowhawks are a top bird. 

I had a sparrowhawk strike a dead pigeon I was using as a decoy when pigeon shooting last summer. It scared the bejesus out of me, as it came from nowhere at full speed & was only 20yds away, but it was fantastic to see. 

In reply to Michael Hood:

I set up some feeders during the winter, kinda hoping for a sparrowhawk to take advantage. This is a screen shot from our trail cam. Hopefully it will become a regular stopping point and I will sit in wait with my big camera. 
Edit: Saturday. 

Post edited at 18:10

aln 14 Apr 2021

I nearly hit an owl with my van tonight. It flew across the road about a foot above the ground, 20 feet in front, and I thought through the hedge. Then suddenly it loomed up to head height and back across, right in front of me. I had to brake to avoid hitting it. It was quite a sight in the headlights, about 3 feet in front of the windscreen. 

DerwentDiluted 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Dave Todd:

I have just had the very great pleasure of 20 minutes spent watching a Sparrowhawk in the garden feasting on a pigeon, from the hot tub, Shipyard IPA in hand. Now that's ornithology.

Next comes the less pleasurable carcass removal bit.

mutt 17 Apr 2021
In reply to aln:

Pretty sure a owl flew across the a30 at salisbury plain right in front of me yesterday

. I had time to see the outline of its flat face before if swooped of over the fields. Majestic.

Post edited at 19:08

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...