UKC

Squirrel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mypyrex 12 Oct 2012
Anyone eaten squirrel(grey-of course)? Thought I might try it when I get chance, although I just mentioned it to Mrs(she eats pheasant) and she said "Well don't give me any".

Surely, along with rabbit, it's one of the most ethical, healthy way of eating meat - free range, natural breeding and almost fat free and very few "food miles"
 bigpad 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

I shot a lot on a vineyard i was working at and we never ate them, the owner said it was a weird taste which made me not fancy it.

bp
OP mypyrex 12 Oct 2012
In reply to bigpad: I read somewhere that it had a taste sort of between lamb and duck. Can't see it would do you any harm.
Shearwater 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I've eaten some squirrel before. One of the local restuarants does a "squirrel and hazelnut suet pudding" as a starter. The meat is quite dark and gamey; I didn't think it was as nice as rabbit, and I'm not a particular fan of rabbit either.

So I'm happy to have tried it, but I shan't be rushing out to get more
 Jacob Ram 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex

I eat squirrel, its very tasty cooked in a coq au vin style. Not much meat on them so allow 3 for 2 people.
I don't think I would like to eat urban squirrels, they often look manky.
 ThunderCat 12 Oct 2012
In reply to David Best:

Be aware, they may contain nuts.
OP mypyrex 12 Oct 2012
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to David Best)
>
> Be aware, they may contain nuts.

Nice one

Owen Meany 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:
> Anyone eaten squirrel(grey-of course)?

I have an archaeologist friend who needed to experiment skinning animals with flint (for reasons I never fully understood). The side effect of the experiment being that she had a lot of squirrel meat that she served us for dinner one evening.

It wasn't very memorable - fairly similar to rabbit and quite dry. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it again, but wouldn't avoid doing so either.

OM

Al Evans 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: The Beverly Hillbillies used to love Grandmas squirrel pie as I remember.
 The New NickB 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

I have a book with a Tomi Mier recipe for Chinese Crispy Squirrel.
 Bimble 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

It's not too bad, nowt to write home about though. The best I've had is BBQ'd on skewers with a peanut satay sauce for taste/irony.
 marsbar 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex: I've eaten it, it was ok but not that nice.
 Jon Stewart 12 Oct 2012
In reply to mypyrex:

I like rabbit, in a stew since they're just not big enough to provide really decent chunks of meat - rabbit steak is it? Guinea pig's pretty crap, so I reckon squirrel has got to be even rattier than that.

I presume the rabbits I eat are fattened on reasonably clean feed - the squirrels I'm thinking of are disgusting urban little creatures, and apart from them being tiny little rats with no worthwhile flesh, there's no way on earth I'd eat something fed on rotten MacDonalds, fag-butts and Special Brew.
OP mypyrex 13 Oct 2012
In reply to Jon Stewart: I'm talking about rural squirrels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...