UKC

St. Austell Tribute Brewer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 12 Jun 2020

Having enjoyed many pints of Tribute, HSD and Proper Job both on draught in Cornwall, notably in the Star in St.Just, and in bottles at home, I was sad to see this in the Guardian today. I'll raise a glass to Roger tonight.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jun/08/roger-ryman-obituary

Tom Valentine 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

So where were we drinking Tinners?

OP cragtyke 12 Jun 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

That was in the Star when it was still in wooden casks behind the bar wasn't it? Easter 1992!

Tom Valentine 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Good trip.

DaveHK 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I like a Proper Job, not sure I've had it on draught but it's one of the better ones out the bottle.

toad 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

That's such a shame. One of a small band of brewers doing it properly. Not megapubco and not little artisanal microbrewery. Proper beer

nniff 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

There's a line of Proper Job in the cupboard.  The Star was slightly strange in the very early 80's.  They wouldn't start a lock-in with gungy students in situ for a start and, secondly, there was a character with a stetson and two big Colt revolvers in holsters who was a bit disconcerting

Dave Garnett 12 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

> I like a Proper Job, not sure I've had it on draught but it's one of the better ones out the bottle.

It's even better draft!  And when drunk in Cornwall.

annieman 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I went to the secondary school next door. The gorgeous aroma on brew days is my excuse for my addiction to beer.  

Danm79 12 Jun 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I think Proper Job on draught is my absolute favourite beer, (and at 4.5% rather than the 5.5% in the bottle allows your evening a little more longevity).

I'll have to have bottle tonight now.

Nempnett Thrubwell 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

It's not the greatest beer in the world, no.

It is just a tribute.

brianjcooper 12 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

> Having enjoyed many pints of Tribute, HSD and Proper Job both on draught in Cornwall, notably in the Star in St.Just, and in bottles at home, I was sad to see this in the Guardian today. I'll raise a glass to Roger tonight.

Sad News.

You brought back some great Cornish climbing memories for me, and nights in the 'Star'. Thanks.  Must do it again while I still can.     

Offwidth 13 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Really sad news but what a legacy.

AndyC 13 Jun 2020
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> And when drunk in Cornwall.

I was occasionally drunk in Cornwall during the '80s, but more often in Devon as a result of drinking HSD in the Plume of Feathers in Princetown! Proper Job is readily available in Oslo... Yay!  

Tom Last 13 Jun 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

I’ve photographed Roger many times for local press and could see and smell St Austell brewery from my house. He was never really up for it - having his picture taken - but this wasn’t a coolness towards me, or a reticence about having his pic taken generally, it was just that he never switched off tinkering with the controls on the tanks and what have you; a proper master at work. Great beer and a great brewer. Rest in peace, Roger. 

Post edited at 16:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...