UKC

Stanage plantation makeshift fire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 will_mcmahon 06 Aug 2022

After a pleasant day at stanage popular, we were heading back to the plantation car park. We noticed smoke coming from the plantation trees closest to us. Upon closer approach, we smelt fire. 

Further investigation showed two gents had set up a camp, with 2 tents and a fire pit. They were readily throwing fire wood on an already very reasonably sized fire. I challenged them, telling them about the very high fire risk that has been widely publicised, stating that they should maybe not continue with the fire. Obviously this fell on deaf ears, and they basically said yes ok but we’re not going to listen to you. 

Back at the carpark, on the very large banner about not having fires, there was a fire watchdog number to call in case of non emergency’s. I dialled this and was directed to a call centre where I reported the fire. Once I had phonetically spelt out stanage plantation the chap on the other end of the phone realised I was in Derbyshire, and told me to call 999. To me this seemed completely unnecessary because I didn’t view it as an emergency, whilst there was a fire, it was completely controlled. I didn’t call 999, Stanage Plantationand at this point I felt I had done as much as I could do.

In this situation, what would you have done? Did I do enough? Obviously if the fire spreads out of control, I’d feel incredibly guilty. 

wintertree 06 Aug 2022
In reply to will_mcmahon:

> In this situation, what would you have done? 

Probably call the fire brigade and let them decide.  Alternatively perhaps the non emergency police number (101).  Probably thought my naturally charming nature would have led to an altercation earlier in the process…

Fire watchdog sounds a bit useless.  

Good on you for attempting to educate. To my knowledge you're not allowed to camp there either? Let alone light fires!!

I'd of called 999 as instructed. May be totally overkill but the 2 gents would have got the message and probably been moved on.

What's that famous expression? You can't teach stupid?

Andypeak 06 Aug 2022

As a firefighter I'd advise calling the fire service. They will come out and make the decision, almost definitely they would have put it out given the location. 

ExiledScot 06 Aug 2022

ring the NP office and delegate responsibility! Or just 999, it might prevent a much worse situation developing.

Post edited at 18:10
 MG 06 Aug 2022
In reply to Andypeak:

How do you actually call for a non emergency? Is it just the office number on the website?

GregHood 06 Aug 2022

Also as a firefighter, call 999, you might not see it as an emergency. But it very easily could be in 10, 20, 30 mins. Control generally ask quite a series of questions before deciding who/when to tip out to shouts. 

OP will_mcmahon 06 Aug 2022
In reply to MG:

I called 0800 169 5558 which is the firestoppers number, who I hoped would have been the correct non emergency number to call. 

DerwentDiluted 06 Aug 2022

I'd have called 999 as instructed, hopefully the problem would have quickly been extinguished.  I'd then have offered to help putting out the fire.

Post edited at 18:26
OP will_mcmahon 06 Aug 2022
In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks to the firefighters replying, looks like I’ve also learnt something today. 

GregHood 06 Aug 2022

We don't have a general non emergencies number like 111 and 101. Usually just the front desk at HQ in office hours, or station numbers, unfortunately not all stations are 24hrs, and in our brigade, they ring through to control outside of office hours anyway. 

Albert Tatlock 06 Aug 2022

I would have have pissed on their fire 🔥 

mrphilipoldham 06 Aug 2022

You should definitely call 999 in this situation. It may have appeared a controlled fire but there's no way of knowing whether the ground under the fire is smouldering and spreading unseen. Besides which, all fires are 'completely controlled' until they're not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...