UKC

Stanage Squirrel... Contenders?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simondgee 13 Sep 2020

Today watched a squirrel literally take a 10C variation somewhere high above ellis Eliminate at Stanage ... Apart from being really surprised to see a squirrel at the crag (not even close to Plantation either) got to wondering if there is quadra-ped any better suited to climbing? Strength to weight and crimptastic talons seem to give it top trump (the other one) status. 

Dan Arkle 13 Sep 2020
In reply to simondgee:

Geckos. No contest, although they are less dynamic. 

Lankyman 13 Sep 2020
In reply to simondgee:

If gibbons roamed the Peak there'd be no contest.

wilkie14c 13 Sep 2020
In reply to simondgee:

I’ve seen him up there a few times, he head points loads of routes then makes out he on sight solos them when there’s a few spectators. He comes across bit of a knob TBH and he steals your nuts 

wintertree 13 Sep 2020
In reply to simondgee:

Rock faces are a bit fractal - there are holes on many different scales.  The smaller holes we din't even notice combined with rigid, curved talon-like spiky nails on squirrels make it a vertical walk in the park I reckon.

Dan Arkle 13 Sep 2020
In reply to wintertree:

Agreed, all vertical grit is piss easy for squirrels, but smooth vertical limestone is much harder. 

And they are crap on slate. 

Andy Hardy 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> And they are crap on slate. 

They're not much better on toast...

Dan Arkle 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Gibbons are good at doing dynamic moves from massive jugs - I'd suggest they would be better at world cup boulder problems, and at Kalymnos.

They are known to be reluctant at jamming which limits their Peak performance. 

In reply to simondgee:

The humble flea can jump 80 times it's body height - some dyno! but it's a hexapod and therefore doesn't meet your criteria.

StockportAl 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> They're not much better on toast...

Just have to serve them with the correct accompaniment.... Onion, mushroom, garlic, definitely some chillies. Come to think of it, crispy chilli squirrel is probably nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...