UKC

Staycation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 21 Jul 2021

*Grumpy rant alert!*

If we are accepting that "staycation" is a word, surely it means staying at home, like in your own house?! When did a holiday in the UK cease to be a holiday? Do we really only think of going abroad as a holiday?! 

I just heard someone on the radio saying they have just returned from a "staycation" in Scotland! If you have returned, then you didn't stay at home!!

Phew, that feels better, thanks for letting me rant!

summo 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Drives me mad too. Shows how much most folk think a holiday or break has to consist of flying overseas. It's that or their English is so poor they don't know what stay means. 

Jenny C 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Totally agree, staycation would be having a holiday whilst staying home. So living in your normal house, but doing day trips and activities as you would if on a normal holiday.

Actually with the difficulties of finding UK accommodation and the stress of having to self isolate, I suspect for many a staycation will be this years holiday.

Ramblin dave 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yeah, totally agree.

I like to pretend that I'm a linguistic descriptivist, but this is a hill that I'll die on.

Philip 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

It's ridiculous. A holiday in the UK is exactly that. A staycation is staying in your home and behaving like a tourist living in your house. Enjoying the local attractions.

I do think it might have originated in the US though, where "local" is probably within 100 miles!

The New NickB 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Must be doubly difficult in Scotland, where “stay” has a different meaning to the rest of the U.K.

rj_townsend 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

> *Grumpy rant alert!*

> If we are accepting that "staycation" is a word, surely it means staying at home, like in your own house?! When did a holiday in the UK cease to be a holiday? Do we really only think of going abroad as a holiday?! 

> I just heard someone on the radio saying they have just returned from a "staycation" in Scotland! If you have returned, then you didn't stay at home!!

> Phew, that feels better, thanks for letting me rant!

And don't get me started on "micro-adventure" - it's the adventure that counts, not its duration...

peppermill 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Double whammy. Using the word "Staycation" 

***and***

Calling in to a radio station to talk about it. 

I think the correct term used up here in the country where they went on holiday is "Walloper"

Post edited at 17:26
 rj_townsend 21 Jul 2021
In reply to rj_townsend:

> And don't get me started on "micro-adventure" - it's the adventure that counts, not its duration...

And as for putting "wild" in front of things such as "wild swimming", "wild camping" etc...

OP girlymonkey 21 Jul 2021
In reply to rj_townsend:

Yes, I have very reluctantly joined a "wild swimming" group on Facebook because it is useful for reports of blue green algae etc, but massively resent the name! I searched first for open water swimming groups, but no luck for anything local 😕

OP girlymonkey 21 Jul 2021
In reply to The New NickB:

Indeed! Where do you stay? I stay in Stirling!

mark s 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Somone leaving their home for a staycation in the peaks would be the ultimate wtf. 

kathrync 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Quite agree.

I don't like the word either, but for me, a staycation would be where I book some time off work and stay at home, either going out locally or just spending my time at home on some project or other. If I visit another part of the country, it's a holiday.

Post edited at 18:08
 Toccata 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Words evolve their meanings. You might not like it but you can’t control it. Try using ‘fantastic’ in its true meaning: your criticism will be received as a big compliment.

Timmd 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Toccata:

> Words evolve their meanings. You might not like it but you can’t control it. Try using ‘fantastic’ in its true meaning: your criticism will be received as a big compliment.

Yes we can, we can rage against it online, and maybe that will help.

In reply to mark s:

> Somone leaving their home for a staycation in the peaks would be the ultimate wtf. 

We walked from home (Froggatt) to Edale, camped a couple of nights, then walked back yesterday. Nailed on staycation. It was great, but under different circumstances we’d be staying in an Airbnb, climbing in Font or Cham (vacations).

it’s all about how much of a preferred destination it is

In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

What are these things please:

• nailed on
  • Airbnb
  • Font
  • Cham

I’m hip to “staycation” mind. 

Jamie Wakeham 21 Jul 2021
In reply to rj_townsend:

I've just been looking for campsites.  There seems to a be a load of newly formed ones, selling themselves as 'wild' camping.  What they mean is they are scalping £20 per night for access to a field next to the road with no showers or even a bloody loo!

In reply to girlymonkey:

Heard on the radio earlier this week when there was a discussion of what folk where doing for their holidays this year, most were going on a “staycation” in the UK, agh!

One person though coined a new name as they and their family were staying at home for their holiday. She described it as a “homecation”! They just planned on doing day trips in the local area.

FactorXXX 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

>   There seems to a be a load of newly formed ones, selling themselves as 'wild' camping.  What they mean is they are scalping £20 per night for access to a field next to the road with no showers or even a bloody loo!

Wild?
I'd be absolutely livid if that happened to me. 🦍

Robert Durran 21 Jul 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Wild?

> I'd be absolutely livid if that happened to me. 🦍

If I might just butt in there...... as Aristotle said, the term "wild camping" is unacceptable whatever the circumstances.

Dax H 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

I was working around Malham, Hawse and Aysgarth today. Passed loads of camp sites that were exactly as you described. Farmer moves his livestock out of a field by the road, ropes off a bit of it and calls it a carpark and tents on the rest.

On the subject of Malham, how bloody tight are the British public, I was there between 0600 and 0930. Deserted when I arrived but when I left the road was lined with cars but the  very fair priced carpark with free toilets was only about 1/3rd full. 

Ridge 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Dax H:

> I was working around Malham, Hawse and Aysgarth today. Passed loads of camp sites that were exactly as you described. Farmer moves his livestock out of a field by the road, ropes off a bit of it and calls it a carpark and tents on the rest.

There's one just opened about a mile from our house. In a field next to the sewage works. Lovely.

RobAJones 21 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> There's one just opened about a mile from our house. In a field next to the sewage works. Lovely

When they built the Sainsbury in Cockermouth, wasn't the preposed site for the livestock market originally next to the sewage works, but I think the local farmers objected. Now there are a couple of hundred houses on that site? 

profitofdoom 21 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

"Staycation" means "having a holiday on Planet Earth"

NorthernGrit 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

As an aside I've been saying for years that people travel too much, fly too much, it's bad for the environment, we have so much to be explored in the UK. Now that this is being fulfilled I've realised that the logical conclusion to this stance is awful.

Heike 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Very interesting. It annoys me, too. In German there is another word for this. "Urlaub in Balkonien" (Holiday in Balconia, i.e. on the balcony) That would be a much more appropriate term for staying at home I would think.

timjones 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yep, you're right.

That was a grumpy rant. 

Try shouting at the telly, it has far greater therapeutic value and less people will hear you

galpinos 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

100% in agreement. I think it's the fact it undermines/devalues the UK as a holiday destination, as if it plays second fiddle to going abroad.

A reflection on how entitled we are as a society now I guess. Shows how hard it's going to be to give up those low cost european flights......

john arran 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

I agree. If a vacation is one for which you vacate your home, then a staycation should be one for which you don't. However, I think that particular linguistic holding ground has already fallen.

Duncan Bourne 22 Jul 2021
In reply to rj_townsend:

I'd like to add "wild swimming" where I come from it's just swimming. It's only wild if you throw in some drugs and get nekked

wercat 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

it shouldn't be any-ation at all!  In Britain we would have homeydays or stayidays!

Ridge 22 Jul 2021
In reply to Heike:

> Holiday in Balconia

If only the Dead Kennedys had heard of that expression, punk would have been so different...

subtle 22 Jul 2021
In reply to wercat:

> it shouldn't be any-ation at all!  In Britain we would have homeydays or stayidays!

Hamelldaeme as it' called round here

deepsoup 22 Jul 2021
In reply to timjones:

> Try shouting at the telly, it has far greater therapeutic value and less people will hear you

You don't really think anyone is going to fall in to such an obvious trap do you?

mcdougal 22 Jul 2021
In reply to timjones:

> Yep, you're right.

> That was a grumpy rant. 

> Try shouting at the telly, it has far greater therapeutic value and less people will hear you

Fewer!!!

*shakes fist at screen. 

GrahamD 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Of all the modern terms, "staycation" is probably one of the less irritating for me.  It neatly differentiates between people holidaying in the UK and the ones leaping lemming like across the channel.

timjones 22 Jul 2021
In reply to mcdougal:

> Fewer!!!

> *shakes fist at screen. 

Ah go on, have a good shout at the screen.

You'll feel fewer stressed if you vent properly

deepsoup 22 Jul 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> You don't really think anyone is going to fall in to such an obvious trap do you?

My mistake.

mbh 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

We've proper staycated this week and just got on with doing most of what we would have done elsewhere.

We've fallen out, fallen back in again and while in have managed to climb, kayak, walk, run and eat the wrong things at nice places. Towards the end of the day, if we imagine ourselves going back to our tent, the house seems luxurious and is quieter and less sticky than camping would have been.

Even the minor roads around here are rammed. We are a bit light on world-class galleries and the like, but I don't miss a trek up the M5 or A303 at all.

petemeads 22 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Self, wife and younger son had a staycation a few years ago - at home, but eating out every night. From fine dining to fish and chips via curry etc. A whole week of no preparation or washing up. A pretty good holiday, and cheaper than an awaycation...

In reply to rj_townsend:

> And as for putting "wild" in front of things such as "wild swimming", "wild camping" etc...

Agreed. As though sticking "wild" in front makes these things wild. It's rather like sticking the word "sport" in front of things to make them sound sporting. I'm thinking of things like "sport rifle", "sport guns", "sport shooting", "sport fishing", "sport hunting", etc.

Tom Valentine 23 Jul 2021
In reply to FactorXXX:

Do you need a licence/ planning permission? Just asking for a friend...

Ridge 23 Jul 2021
In reply to John Stainforth:

> Agreed. As though sticking "wild" in front makes these things wild. It's rather like sticking the word "sport" in front of things to make them sound sporting. I'm thinking of things like "sport rifle", "sport guns", "sport shooting", "sport fishing", "sport hunting", etc.

Sport climbing?

GrahamD 23 Jul 2021

> It's rather like sticking the word "sport" in front of things to make them sound sporting. I'm thinking of things like "sport rifle", "sport guns", "sport shooting", "sport fishing", "sport hunting", etc.

The one that really passes me off is "Sports Utility Vehicle" as applied to some ugly box you can't fit a bike in the back of.

timjones 23 Jul 2021

> Agreed. As though sticking "wild" in front makes these things wild. It's rather like sticking the word "sport" in front of things to make them sound sporting. I'm thinking of things like "sport rifle", "sport guns", "sport shooting", "sport fishing", "sport hunting", etc.

It's interesting to note that  they don't bother to attempt this with the lost cause of dreary ballgames

Ciro 23 Jul 2021

I think in these cases, "sport" is being used in the old middle English sense of pastime or entertainment, rather than the modern English usage of exercise.

I guess back in the day most people hunted out of necessity while the aristocracy hunted for pleasure, therefore a term to differentiate between the two makes historical sense.

SUV, on the other hand, is just ridiculous.

Hex a metre 23 Jul 2021
In reply to Ramblin dave:

'I like to pretend that I'm a linguistic descriptivist'

Ah, but you select what you describe...

(....Ducks behind convenient wal....)

Post edited at 11:52
In reply to Ridge:

You got it: my emphasis by omission.

Tringa 23 Jul 2021
In reply to girlymonkey:

Agree. If the hideous word 'staycation' has to be used then you should be staying at home.

To me it is an unecessary word which give the impression that if you go on holiday then you must be going abroad - which for some(possibly many) is true.

Let us hope it is forgotten soon.

Dave

Hex a metre 23 Jul 2021
In reply to timjones:

'and less people will hear you'

Fewer people

Grrr.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...