UKC

Step away from the virus!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 14 May 2020

I'm sick of it, sick of hearing about it, reading about it, and the constant threads on here about it. The rancor and ranting, the know all's, the second guessing and lecturing, I've had enough. Not doing it anymore.

It reminds me of pre Brexit. The media barrage, and here too. It got too much and I was going off my head with it. I stopped listening, watching, and reading about it for weeks till I could do something about it, i.e. the election. I felt so much better.

So now I'm going to do the same. If they start talking about Covid on telly, turn over or off, if they start talking about Covid on radio, turn over or off. I won't read threads on here about it, if other threads turn to it, I'm off.

Any major developments will still filter through our social distance. 

profitofdoom 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

> I'm sick of it, sick of hearing about it, reading about it, and the constant threads on here about it..... 

I understand you, aln. I really do. And Covid-19's constant dominance of the media is rather overwhelming, I agree (but then I suppose the virus and its effects are a really big thing, so that's not surprising to me)

I disagree with you, though, about "the constant threads on here about it". I find them very useful; and helpful to read. To me anyway. And this is "The Pub" forum, after all

Baron Weasel 14 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

I think you'll find that you're 'off belay' 

Nik 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

I just wonder what our government are slipping by under the radar. Not that I'm cynical. Oh wait...

Graeme G 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

And your first action after going ‘virus free’........

is start a thread about the virus.....

profitofdoom 14 May 2020
In reply to Baron Weasel:

> I think you'll find that you're 'off belay' 

Thanks - I'm so dumb I can't even recognize the icon.... oh dear

mullermn 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

How will you know when lockdown ends? This is how those Japanese soldiers ended up living in the jungle for 50 years after the war. Probably. 

Richard Horn 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

I stopped watching the news a few weeks back. I tried watching something light-hearted on ITV, then the advert break came and boom, every advert was CV related... I-Player is safer, been watching Killing Eve, DEVS and back issues of Ab Fab amongst others. 

I find it pretty hard WFH, news websites are only a click away, and it does seem like in absence of much else to report about the media are going out of their way to dream up and speculate about worst case scenarios, or in other cases take some very thin piece of research and try and extrapolate some hugely restrictive impact on society out of it, whilst on the next page saying that no-one is paying enough attention to mental health... 

Post edited at 08:16
 tjdodd 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

Completely agree.  I avoid watching the news on TV now but difficult to avoid the virus when checking bbc news website etc to try to find out what else is going on.  I've thought for a while now that there is a real opportunity for someone to launch a news website that has no virus related articles.

As an example of what is going on that no-one seems to be reporting (at least I would expect something major like this to have been prominent on the bbc news site)

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/brexit-us-trade-deal-food_uk_5ebc154...

In the past I have always defended the BBC but I am now completely fed up with the level of journalism and editorial control of news across most UK media.

krikoman 14 May 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

Try other channels AJ, France 24, RT, CNN (at a push) it's still mainly CV-19 but there are other news items too, and it amazing sometimes to see another countries take on "news" from around the world.

krikoman 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

Step away from the virus!

Step one, don't start any new threads about the virus.

Doh!!

Baron Weasel 14 May 2020
In reply to profitofdoom:

Your welcome!

*starts stop watch - waits for grammar police *

tjdodd 14 May 2020
In reply to krikoman:

Thanks.  I've been thinking to broaden my horizons so these are good starting points.

Roadrunner6 14 May 2020
In reply to aln:

We all handle it differently. Some like to talk about it, and feel getting more educated about it lowers our anxiety, others just don't want anything to do with it.

I'm certainly seeing that with students. I'm teaching a class on it now to 3 juniors left in my anatomy class at their request, before they left the class had voted not to learn about it in class.

freeflyer 16 May 2020
In reply to aln:

I agree. We should definitely have more Brexit threads. Apparently Barnier is getting quite hot under the collar, so that has to be worth a few posts:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/24/britain-running-down-the-c...

Apparently the UK position is "we want zero tariffs" and the EU is like "the tally is is UK 66 meellion consumers, EU 450 meellion: so f*ck off".

The EU want an extension as why on earth would we want to increase our economic angst with a FTO. The UK government don't see it that way.

It's almost as insane as the current bandying about of utterly unsubstantiated R numbers with the obvious intent to control the population. Apparently truth and trust is not possible.

Sorry. /end rant

krikoman 16 May 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

> Thanks.  I've been thinking to broaden my horizons so these are good starting points.

It's stil very CV-19 heavy, but it probably should be.

But to be honest there's a much wider range of news on these channels and it really is interesting how each views a particular subject.

There's more news of France 24 about the middle east in a week than we get in a year on the BBC,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...