UKC

Suits . No not the TV series

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I've got a wedding to attend in just over a month and as required needed to buy a suit to accommodate such an event.  

I wasn't at all looking forward to the idea of trying them on  and feeling awkward wearing it for hours at the wedding, I'm normally found wearing shorts/ outdoor gear / running leggings and gym tops etc.  However to save myself the stress of leaving it to the last minute and having it on my minds to do list I've been today and got it all sorted .  

Thankfully it went without any major problems and to tell the truth I really enjoyed the process of buying it.  

It's going to make quite a nice change actually looking pretty damn dapper and not like a aging skater/gym fiend.

It's amazing how some clothes can really make you feel all grown up and proper classy. 

I can rest assured in the knowledge I'll hopefully shock some friends and turn a few heads. 

Mission accomplished. 

Post edited at 15:36
 bouldery bits 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Burton?

deepsoup 28 Apr 2019

Ah, good for you!

My sister is getting married around the same time, oh how I envy you your suit-already-sortedness.

In reply to bouldery bits:

> Burton?

Nah . 

Next.  I think I look presentable in it . 

webbo 28 Apr 2019

All that polyester will go shiny after you’ve worn it a couple of times. You should have gone for 100% wool or a wool linen mix.

arch 28 Apr 2019

Our daughter got married last month, tweed was the way forward. All the males wore tweed jackets. Worked well.

The Lemming 28 Apr 2019

It would be rude not to.

youtube.com/watch?v=pv9BKilYk9Q&

Fozzy 28 Apr 2019
In reply to arch:

Normally I’m happiest knocking about in old jeans or moleskins & a shirt. However, I had a 3-piece tweed suit made for my own wedding, in a lightweight tweed that can be worn all year round.

I’ve worn it quite a lot since, to weddings, formal events, Cheltenham etc., so I’d say I’m getting my money’s worth. 

arch 28 Apr 2019
In reply to Fozzy:

Something you can wear again, exactly. I already had the jacket and moleskins, so it was good for me. Even my daughter went down the cheap wedding dress route "coz i'll never wear it again" 

Lord_ash2000 28 Apr 2019
In reply to arch:

We did the same, I got myself a nice suit to wear to formal events etc and my wife got a dress for under £100. As like you say she'll only wear it once and she still looked great on the day. 

jethro kiernan 29 Apr 2019

I spent a day in Liverpool looking for suits, struggled to find something and then for a laugh we went to the very flash designer store and tucked in the corner were some of last years suits in the colour I was looking for at 70% off,  I wasn’t sure of the fit (climbers broad shoulders and relatively slim midriff not being the norm anymore)

I was taken to a small workshop around the back where Dave ran his freelance tailoring a very helpful chap fitted me for the suit and would do all the required tailoring for £75

i now have a bespoke suit, top quality fine Italian wool for less than an off the shelf Next number. It took me 48 years but I got there eventually.

Post edited at 06:31
 McHeath 29 Apr 2019

I had the same problem last year, a wedding which I couldn't avoid ( my own, second time around), so I enlisted the help of my 23 year old son. He chose stuff which I'd never even have considered (me: dark blue pinstripe with tan brogues, are you sure? He: don't worry! (laughs) ). We spent most of the budget on a fantastic silk paisley tie, and the combination looked great. So as a lifelong suit hater I' m now really looking forward to the next occasion when I can wear it all again.

The key to keeping your suit in good nick is to dry clean it as infrequently as possible, A suit jacket from Next will be fused to the canvas underneath rather than stitched and the heat from most dry cleaners will cause the fusing adhesive to bubble and unglue. 

As someone who has worn suits all his working life, this is by far the most common way they have become destroyed. I have had some look awful after just one or two cleans!

Two ways to avoid this, find a dry cleaner who is more considerate to these types of jackets (best option) or go full bespoke with no fusing (expensive).

Doesn't sound like you will be wearing it often, so probably not an issue...but best to be aware.

Timmd 29 Apr 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Try and be a clean/tidy eater, too, very applicable to me.  

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Thank you.  

That's helpful to know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...