UKC

suntan lotion in your climbing pack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 18 Apr 2006
hello

do you carry a bottle of suntan lotion around with you as a matter of course in summer? and if you do, do you remember to reapply it?

and how many of the lads who climb with their tops off remember to keep reapplying the suntan lotion?

I'm just thinking about this due to the fact that I'm sitting here like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer after packing lots of warm clothes for this weekend, after last weekend's hail in North Wales, then ending up a little on the burnt side. I've even got helmet chin strap marks

Nao 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
Yup, in summer. Though I hardly ever remember to reapply it. I'm a sort of browny yellowy colour anyway though so I don't tend to get sunburnt.
 Adders 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: lol nice one. i got badly snow burnt at the lakes earlier this year! bright red. annoying thing was i had suntan cream with me but didnt think...

always carry suntan lotion in my climbing pack. however dont always remember to apply and re apply. maybe as part of a climber partners duty should be to check your harness and check you've applied suntan lotion
 Wingnut 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
Yep. Carry both sun gunge and insect repellant as a matter of routine during the times of year when they're likely to be needed. Sun gunk because I burn ridiculously easily and insect spray because I seem to attract flying biting things.
 toad 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: yes, doesn't eat anything and if it will help stop me dying, thats nice too
 MeMeMe 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

I usually do, along with midge spray, but haven't put it back in my pack after the winter and also have a little of the festive reindeer look after the sunny weekend.

I don't do the topless climbing thing though, I don't want to blind anyone with the reflection from my peely wally skin.
shepp 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: I use that apply once every 12 hrs stuff in the bottom of my sack all year, use it fairly often in all seasons
 TN 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

Ohh, the strap mark sounds VERY fetching!

Yes, we usually do. And, like others, the midge spray.
Remember thought that sun preparations *apparently* decrease in effectiveness after a while, so what started out as SPF20, might not be quite as strong after a year in the bottom of your bag.

We had some superb high SPF gel from Mexico - it was alcohol based and smelt like a heavy night on the vodka, but it was great as it was totally non-greasy. Haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar here in the UK (can anyone help with that - any recommendations for non-greasy stuff?)
 SFM 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

I use that P20 stuff as you only have to put it on once a day. Downside is that it can turn yer clothes a yellow colour if you don't let it dry for long enough. Always have a wee tube/stick of factor 8,000,000 for my nose and ears though.
mik 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

I packed sunblocker for Easter trip and it was needed.
It will stay in my sack for the summer.
In reply to CJD:

I use Oil of Olay moisturiser all the time anyway. It's got sun factor in it along with all the other stuff and it seems to work for me. I haven't been sunburned since I started using it a few years ago despite Alps trips, Font, skiing and all the other stuff I do.
OP CJD 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

my moisturiser doesn't have an spf but maybe I should get one that does. however, it's vitamin E stuff from the body shop and it's working a treat on my face, slathered on and left to soak in I'll have a nose like a baby's bum at this rate. a peeling, scabby baby's bum, but a baby's bum nonetheless...

Adders: that's an excellent recommendation about taking responsibility for checking suntan lotion on your climbing partner... and for making sure the lotion's well under any complicated strappy summer climbing tops too - as I'm sure all the female climbers on here have experienced comedy back tans due to the more criss-crossy ones
nataliejane 18 Apr 2006
In reply to TN:
> Haven't been able to find anything even remotely similar here in the UK (can anyone help with that - any recommendations for non-greasy stuff?)

I use spf30 'Pro Sport lotion' made by 'Aloe Up'. It's got 35% aloe vera gel and doesn't make your hands greasy.
 31770 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: I always forget and often climb with my top off... even have a spot on my back where their is no pigment that goes pink instantly. Luckily for me I'm normally with an army of caring women who apply it for me when its most needed
 Trangia 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

Certainly for sea cliff climbing particularly Swanage were you can get very badly burnt even at this time of year.
OP CJD 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Trangia:

or Pembroke...

<glows gently away>
 TN 18 Apr 2006
In reply to nataliejane:

Thanks - I'll look out for some of that - it sounds promising!
 Tiggs 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: I use sunscreen when out all year round - Factor 50 - then I don't have to keep reapplying it. I've found its good to use on the face in winter as it provides a barrier to icy winds and windburn as well as sunshine which can still burn when reflected off snow.

I've probably said this before on here, but a leading dermatologist told me that the best thing you can do from your teenage years is use at least a factor 30 suncreen on your face all year round. It can double up as moisturiser if you have slightly oily skin so you save money too!

I keep a tube of it in the top of my rucksac for easy access. First time I climbed outside on a hot June day I was amazed how few RTers were using sunscreen and started to make those who were with me use it.
OP CJD 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Tiggs:

I'm an idiot as I have very fair skin too... I am normally much more conscientious in summer, but I think it's time for me to investigate all-year-round cover.
 Tiggs 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: The dermatologist told me Ambre Solaire's one of the best to use. If you're worried about greasy hands after application, take a small pack of baby wipes to keep in the same place as the sunscreen for wiping your hands. (I have those in my pack too - so I can wipe my hands clean before eating my lunch).
 ebygomm 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: I have a small tube of suntan lotion that stays clipped onto the outside of my bag with a mini karabiner all year - instantly accessible.
 HC~F 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Tiggs: You're just too organised!
I have comedy tan marks that I picked up in Spain last week - hadn't slapped on the cream as I was just outside long enough to eat my breakfast in the morning, wasn't there that long, wasn't hot....

I plastered cream all over me when I went to the beach, but the damage had already been done and I have a feeling the comedy tan lines will be with me for the rest of the year....
 SonyaD 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD: I always forget at the start of the summer! Get burnt and then remember for the rest of the summer. And my face got sunburnt a couple of weeks ago when winter climbing, hadn't thought to take any as that had been my 1st experience of how the sun can glare and reflect of the snow. Sure my retinas were rather burnt that day too!
In reply to CJD:

But what effect does suntan lotion have on ropes and tapes...?

<chris tan stylee evil laugh>
 Ands 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

I lived in Saudi Arabia for a year when I was 16 and have never burnt since. I am dark skinned naturally anyway.

Ands
 Fidget 18 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

Suntan lotion and bug spray are regulars in the bits and bobs pocket of my climbing sack... along with a dink camera tripod, an even smaller chess set and all sorts of other bits and bobs!
OP CJD 18 Apr 2006
In reply to cider nut:

how was font? (actually I suspect you'd better start a new thread about it... )
 Marc C 18 Apr 2006
In reply to Tiggs:
< I was amazed how few RTers were using sunscreen and started to make those who were with me use it>

Yes, I well remember you insisting on rubbing it in for me...

Ps Can't say I've ever used sunscreen in Britain. Seems to psychologically make you feel slippier, when you want to feel like you're sandpaper...

sutty 19 Apr 2006
In reply to Marc C:

I get told off for going out in the sun in summer off the doctor, yet most of the time I stay in the shade if possible. does not stop me getting melanomas though, have a prescription for cream to remove some and get the rest checked out.
Cats 19 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
[...]
> I'll have a nose like a baby's bum at this rate. a peeling, scabby baby's bum, but a baby's bum nonetheless...
[...]

So long as it's not like a baby's bum when the nappy needs changing...

I try to remember to take sun cream out with me, and have discovered I need it for gliding as well as the canopy doesn't filter UV, at least not very much, and gliding is a very quick & painless way to get up to 3,000' and more.
 Lancs Lad 19 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

Apply at start of day and carry a few sachets for top ups later
 SecretSquirrel 19 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:
Last summer I kept a small bottle in my pack, reapplied during the day then would get to the pub in the evening and wonder why i'd got so much dirt streaked across my face.

(note to self - wash hands before putting sun cream on nose!)
Imperium 19 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

> and how many of the lads who climb with their tops off remember to keep reapplying the suntan lotion?

I learned my lesson last year, and this year will be applying said lotion like a beast. Burnt man boobs - neither attractive or comfortable
 Fidget 20 Apr 2006
In reply to CJD:

> how was font? (actually I suspect you'd better start a new thread about it... )

Only just spotted this, thanks for asking, and obviously it's all been discussed elsewhere now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...