UKC

Supermarket home delivery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 henwardian 23 Jan 2021

Does anyone know of a website where you can put in your address and find out which supermarkets do home delivery to you? It seems logical that such and thing must exist but I can't seem to find it with google.

marsbar 23 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

I've always done it on the individual supermarket websites.  

I'm not sure there is anything that can tell you because supermarkets won't want to share that information? 

Unless you are somewhere extremely remote I think most supermarkets deliver to most places.  

I know Tesco does some of the Scottish highlands.   

I'd just try all supermarkets within a 30 mile radius.  

OP henwardian 23 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

> Unless you are somewhere extremely remote I think most supermarkets deliver to most places.  

I am.

> I know Tesco does some of the Scottish highlands.   

They don't have a slot for the next 3 weeks and beyond that they don't even list slots on their site.

> I'd just try all supermarkets within a 30 mile radius.  

I don't think there are any.

Dax H 23 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

> I don't think there are any.

If you don't have a supermarket within 30 miles why would you possibly expect deliveries from one? 

30 miles is too far for a delivery in my book anyway. 

marsbar 23 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

Keeping trying Tesco at different times of day.  They sometimes release slots for the next day or 2 if they have a cancellation.  

Also ask your neighbours, maybe you could share a slot?  

Have you looked at the click and collect?  I know sometimes they send a van out to a central spot for click and collect in rural areas.  

Post edited at 15:20
 marsbar 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Dax H:

I said 30 miles because mum and dad deliveries come from various random depots and occasionally they do come from that far away.  I presume it's to do with route planning and staff availability.  

Tringa 23 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

New daily slots on the Tesco delivery we get appear each day. At present we could book up to 19th Feb, tomorrow the 20th Feb will be added.

Dave

In reply to Dax H:

I think the Tesco delivery route is 115 miles each way from Inverness.

In reply to Tringa:

> New daily slots on the Tesco delivery we get appear each day. At present we could book up to 19th Feb, tomorrow the 20th Feb will be added.

Ah, that's good to know but it's just too far ahead for me, even if I can edit my basket up till a day or two before, booking a slot that far ahead would just mean I totally forgot about it I think.

In reply to marsbar:

> Keeping trying Tesco at different times of day.  They sometimes release slots for the next day or 2 if they have a cancellation.  

Ah, good to know, I'll do a bit of checking and see if anything crops up.

> Also ask your neighbours, maybe you could share a slot?  

Also A good shout, thanks.

> Have you looked at the click and collect?  I know sometimes they send a van out to a central spot for click and collect in rural areas.  

Yeah, Tesco do do that in the area, I assumed that would be somewhere under home delivery, didn't realise it was under click and collect, I'll look into it.

DaveHK 23 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

> I know Tesco does some of the Scottish highlands.   

Most of the Highlands I think given the number of vans I see all over the place up here.

Bulls Crack 23 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

Morrisons have some sort of agreement with Amazon for home delivery and despite not particularly wishing to enrich Amazon further we use it since its a local shop and they use local taxi firms, who'll be having a hard time of it at the moment, to deliver the stuff. 

Badgers 23 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

Have you tried Amazon Fresh? I know Amazon aren't everyone's cup of tea and no idea if they do deliver out in your area but may be worth a look if you're stuck. 

In reply to henwardian:

> >Unless you are somewhere extremely remote I think most supermarkets deliver to most places.  

>I am.

Cycling round western scotland last september I was suprised to see a delivery vehicle (think it was tesco) on the road between Gairloch and Kinlochewe. Pretty sure the nearest store is in Dingwall, over 40 miles away, and on quite slow roads.

Not sure how they do this, maybe they only go down that road one day per week and you have to book on that day?  Getting any slots for normal deliveries can be a pain at the moment. Might be worth phoning the main supdermarkets within 50miles to see if they have some arrangements?

Jon Greengrass 23 Jan 2021
In reply to Dax H:

30miles+ is not unusual in Scotland our local Asda is 27miles, Sainsbury’s 33 miles, Morrisons 34miles, Waitrose 92miles, only one of these doesn’t deliver to us.

DaveHK 23 Jan 2021
In reply to mountain.martin:

> I was suprised to see a delivery vehicle (think it was tesco) on the road between Gairloch and Kinlochewe. Pretty sure the nearest store is in Dingwall, over 40 miles away, and on quite slow roads

Dingwall to Gairloch is nearer 60 miles but anything but slow roads.

In reply to DaveHK:

> Dingwall to Gairloch is nearer 60 miles but anything but slow roads.

Well I was cycling and I guess it looked pretty good going compared to a lot of scotish highlands roads, but got too be slow in quite a few places with the summer tourist traffic?

coachio 23 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

Be interesting if you do find anything. I know Tesco deliver to Skye regularly and I'm sure I've seen Asda vans on the way there. I'm moving there in a weeks time so I will also be looking to see if I can get better info. What I know is it is difficult to get a slot but some do come available and I think it is just a matter of keeping an eye out. For what's its worth I'm always surprised by the amount of Tesco vans on the West Coast roads. 

In reply to coachio:

Yeah, I have found out today that Asda deliver, but only as far as Broadford. Tesco do come all the way to portree.

The deliveries are click and collect and the vans park up at a specific place in town and you then go there to collect from them.

It's pretty amazing that Tesco are prepared to go more than 100 miles tbh.

Dax H 24 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

I am amazed they will do a 100 mile round trip, I would assume they will combine multiple click and collect orders for a given area to make it worth while. 

Dax H 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Morrisons have some sort of agreement with Amazon for home delivery.

I find the amazon / Morrisons a bit strange. 

Our local Morrisons is 1.8 miles as the crow flies and 2.3 miles following the roads, if you set off from my house to go there you pass my workshop 1/2 of a mile down the road, they will deliver to the workshop but not our house. 

mick taylor 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Dax H:

Ours is 5 miles away and they deliver no problem (could be because they closed the Wigan one down (that might have been further away thinking about it)). We’ve only been doing it recently and go with whoever we can get a slot with. I’m a Lidl man normally and cringe at some of the prices. 

coachio 24 Jan 2021
In reply to Dax H:

It's a 100 mile each way. The vans are coming from Inverness. Loads of them on the roads and quite late at night as well.

philmorris 24 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

Try shoppingslot.co.uk. Good luck.

Tringa 27 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

> Ah, that's good to know but it's just too far ahead for me, even if I can edit my basket up till a day or two before, booking a slot that far ahead would just mean I totally forgot about it I think.

I can understand that. We have had weekly deliveries long before the pandemic so they are just part normal life but it did take a little while, but IMO it is really worthwhile. I'm happy to rule traipsing around a supermarket out of my life.

Dave 

Tringa 27 Jan 2021
In reply to mountain.martin:

> >I am.

> Cycling round western scotland last september I was suprised to see a delivery vehicle (think it was tesco) on the road between Gairloch and Kinlochewe. Pretty sure the nearest store is in Dingwall, over 40 miles away, and on quite slow roads.

> Not sure how they do this, maybe they only go down that road one day per week and you have to book on that day?  Getting any slots for normal deliveries can be a pain at the moment. Might be worth phoning the main supdermarkets within 50miles to see if they have some arrangements?

Tesco have been delivering in that area for a while and you are correct the nearest store is Dingwall.

The route of the Tesco delivery van(s) in Gairloch continues north (taking in the outlying areas(eg Mellon Charles, Badcaul) through Dundonnell to Braemore junction, then back towards Dingwall.

Dave

Post edited at 14:29
 Flinticus 27 Jan 2021
In reply to henwardian:

I've seen a Tesco van down one single track cul-de-dac road of a moderately remote glen while high up a hill. Was a bit surprised to have such a real world intrusion! They put the Black Magic choc man to shame.

deepsoup 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Tringa:

> Tesco have been delivering in that area for a while and you are correct the nearest store is Dingwall.

A friend of mine is currently driving a van for Dingwall Tesco, they do 'click and collect' in Ullapool (even though it has a decent sized Tescos of its own), Torridon and Portree - even up to Uig on occasion.  The photos certainly put the pics of my occasional trips into the Peak in a Sainsbury's van during lockdown #1 to shame.

deepsoup 27 Jan 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

> They put the Black Magic choc man to shame.

He does deliveries to remote Highland communities too, you just can't see him because he's basically a ninja.

Tringa 28 Jan 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

> A friend of mine is currently driving a van for Dingwall Tesco, they do 'click and collect' in Ullapool (even though it has a decent sized Tescos of its own), Torridon and Portree - even up to Uig on occasion.  The photos certainly put the pics of my occasional trips into the Peak in a Sainsbury's van during lockdown #1 to shame.

Yes, a few times the Tesco drivers delivering to Gairloch have commented what a great route it is.

Dave

In reply to Dax H:

Our nearest supermarket is 18 miles away. All the main supermarkets deliver to our village though. Saintsbury is probably the furthest away at about 20 miles. Just Eat don't deliver though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...