UKC

Supermarket sweep ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Morning , 

A personal musing , something that I never understood and just confuses me as to why people, mainly older people do this.

The super market is opening in 10-15 minutes , its cold outside, dark and unpleasant.   

Rather than wait in the warm car for the shop to open they leave the car go and  get a trolley and walk up to the automatic doors trying to get in.   

The doors don't open its still 10 -15 minutes to go .  So they stand there a few of them queuing up ,  now rocking back and forth with the trolleys at the doors.   It's like the're revving them up ,like their all on the start line of a Grand Prix.

They look desperate and really sad.

Weirdos the lot of them.

;-D

TWS

Post edited at 09:08
 Tom Valentine 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

Given the same weather condituions, I'm more puzzled why there are people roaming the aisles in shorts and flip flops.

nathan79 24 Jan 2020

Boggles my mind why such folk rush out early to do so. Just adds to morning rush hour traffic. As my dad always says "why can't they go later? It's not as if they've got jobs to go to". I can't disagree with him.

WaterMonkey 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Given the same weather condituions, I'm more puzzled why there are people roaming the aisles in shorts and flip flops.

Unless it's snowing shorts and flip flops should be worn all year!

Tom Valentine 24 Jan 2020
In reply to WaterMonkey:

I take it on snowy days you revert to your pyjamas......

profitofdoom 24 Jan 2020

> ....something that I never understood.... > The super market is opening in 10-15 minutes.... > Rather than wait in the warm car for the shop to open they leave the car go and  get a trolley and walk up to the automatic doors trying to get in. > The doors don't open its still 10 -15 minutes to go .  So they stand there a few of them queuing up....

You're right. It's crazy getting there that late. I'm always there with my trolley at least 45 minutes before they open

Rigid Raider 24 Jan 2020

What is this "supermarket" you write about?  I haven't set foot in one of those for quite a few months; we just pay a few quid a year to somebody and once a week a nice chap comes in a van and drops the week's provisions on our doorstep. It's definitely cheaper because we don't wander round picking up 2 for 1 offers and other stuff that we won't eat and will end up throwing away.  

Jenny C 24 Jan 2020

What gets me is the number of people who think going to the supermarket on a busy Saturday will be a nice day out for the family, so you have two adults and 3 kids clogging up the isles and showcasing 'pester power' to the masses. 

Now I understand you may be a single parent, or if your other half is at work you may have to bring the little darlings. BUT if you have two parents both with time on their hands, surely it would be better for EVERYONE if one parent looks after the kids whilst the other shops solo.

Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

What a spectacularly efficient post! Virtue-signalling, smug superiority, guilt-tripping about waste and corporate manipulation and an attempt to veil a condescending tone with "wit". All in just 76 words. Well done that man! Very very impressive work!

TMM 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> What a spectacularly efficient post! Virtue-signalling, smug superiority, guilt-tripping about waste and corporate manipulation and an attempt to veil a condescending tone with "wit". All in just 76 words. Well done that man! Very very impressive work!

Whereas your post...

Pot, kettle, glasshouses and stones.

elliot.baker 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

Amen that.

oldie 24 Jan 2020

>Morning ,  A personal musing , something that I never understood and just confuses me as to why people, mainly older people do this......, its cold outside, dark and unpleasant. Rather than wait in the warm car for the shop to open they leave the car go and  get a trolley and walk up to the automatic doors trying to get in.  ....   They look desperate and really sad.  Weirdos the lot of them. <

I became a different sort of weirdo once I retired. The local Waitrose had ridiculously low prices on older items in the last few minutes before closing. I used to be there hovering and elbowing when the low price stickers went on. There was a sort of community of the same aging people, glaring at each other, never speaking and grabbing any item, even if they later rejected it. Now I rarely do this as life's too short......far better slouching on the sofa watching telly. 

jimtitt 24 Jan 2020

> Morning , 

> A personal musing , something that I never understood and just confuses me as to why people, mainly older people do this.

> The super market is opening in 10-15 minutes , its cold outside, dark and unpleasant.   

> Rather than wait in the warm car for the shop to open they leave the car go and  get a trolley and walk up to the automatic doors trying to get in.   

> The doors don't open its still 10 -15 minutes to go .  So they stand there a few of them queuing up ,  now rocking back and forth with the trolleys at the doors.   It's like the're revving them up ,like their all on the start line of a Grand Prix.

> They look desperate and really sad.

> Weirdos the lot of them.

> ;-D

> TWS

I've never worked out why people get up at the crack of dawn, drive 4hrs and struggle up a green, greasy 8m rock in drizzle, eat crap food and sleep in a tent full of biting insects. Each to their own I guess.

Blue Straggler 24 Jan 2020
In reply to TMM:

> Whereas your post...

> Pot, kettle, glasshouses and stones.

That was rather the point. I hoped the insertion of a little smiley emoticon might have given that away but apparently not. Pearls before swine, sigh  

abh 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

Do you have kids? What is this time on your hands you speak of, or maybe it allows the other half to have some down time.. Or maybe taking the kids is actually a way of 'entertaining' whilst essential household chores are carried out. Although I do admit the kids can create a little bit of carnage there...

(Dad of a 4.5 and 2.5 half year old).

Post edited at 16:43
 abh 24 Jan 2020
In reply to elliot.baker:

Ditto..

abh 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Agree to a point, although you get the nearly out of date items and have to read info sheet like a hawk...You can't get to choose which veg and fruit you want (seperate argument about supermarkets vs 'local fruit and veg shop). And if you are anything like my Mrs, as she doesn't have to physically carry anything out the the shop, ends up buying more stuff in anycase!

ianstevens 24 Jan 2020
In reply to nathan79:

> Boggles my mind why such folk rush out early to do so. Just adds to morning rush hour traffic. As my dad always says "why can't they go later? It's not as if they've got jobs to go to". I can't disagree with him.

I’ve exactly the same sentiment re: weekends. If you’re retired and can go shopping without the support of someone with a job, then why go at the busiest time, simultaneously making it shit for yourself and shiter for everyone else?

Stichtplate 24 Jan 2020

> A personal musing , something that I never understood and just confuses me as to why people, mainly older people do this.

Because they've been kept up most of the night by one or other of the chronic illnesses they're currently struggling with, this has given them plenty of time to contemplate their dead spouse, the kids they hardly ever see and how long they're likely to have been left lying cold on the floor before the smell alerts the neighbours. At about 05:30 they can stand this no more and rush off somewhere they can bask in the glow of being spoken to by an actual real live person, even if it is only "do you need any bags?"

> They look desperate and really sad.

Quite.

In reply to Stichtplate:

> Because they've been kept up most of the night by one or other of the chronic illnesses they're currently struggling with, this has given them plenty of time to contemplate their dead spouse, the kids they hardly ever see and how long they're likely to have been left lying cold on the floor before the smell alerts the neighbours. At about 05:30 they can stand this no more and rush off somewhere they can bask in the glow of being spoken to by an actual real live person, even if it is only "do you need any bags?"

> Quite.

Dark . 

Jenny C 24 Jan 2020
In reply to abh:

>... maybe it allows the other half to have some down time.. Or maybe taking the kids is actually a way of 'entertaining' whilst essential household chores are carried out....

Even as a middle aged barren woman I understand why people may take their kids when they are the only adult in attendence. 

However you missed the point in my original post where I said that BOTH parents are at the supermarket with said kids, both looking frazzled and in need of the down time you mention above.

Would you and mum really chose to do a big shop all together as a family of four? 

Post edited at 18:38
 girlymonkey 24 Jan 2020

I get proper trolley rage in supermarkets! Why can't people just move?! I get that old people can't walk so fast, but there is no need to dither in the middle of an aisle! Just step to the side so I can get past and get on with life! 

Know what you need to get, go to those aisles and get it, and go home! I think there should be an express hour where if you can't maintain a decent speed you get asked to wait until a slower time of day!

In reply to jimtitt:

> I've never worked out why people get up at the crack of dawn, drive 4hrs and struggle up a green, greasy 8m rock in drizzle, eat crap food and sleep in a tent full of biting insects. Each to their own I guess.

You don't think Stanage is worth all that effort?!?!?

Stichtplate 24 Jan 2020

> Dark . 

I posted in the wrong thread too. Supposed to be on your other one, "The cheer you up great comedy quotes thread".

WaterMonkey 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

Trust me when you’re shopping for four you need all the help you can get.

Sorry if my two little daughters ever got in your way.

thomasadixon 24 Jan 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

We have and will again, one is basically entertaining/teaching and the other gets the shopping done.  With one parent you’ve got to do both, which is hard work!  They love the supermarket...

russellcampbell 24 Jan 2020

"weirdos the lot of them." So says the guy who goes to supermarkets 10-15 minutes before they open to watch people queuing up with trolleys 10-15 minutes before the supermarkets open. 

Post edited at 20:23
 Dave the Rave 24 Jan 2020

Nahh. It’s not sad. They’re just maintaining a routine in their day which most need. They’ve probably been workers all their lives with a morning routine, and shopping has replaced getting to work.

The early bird and all that....

In reply to russellcampbell:

> "weirdos the lot of them." So says the guy who goes to supermarkets 10-15 minutes before they open to watch people queuing up with trolleys 10-15 minutes before the supermarkets open. 

:-D

I like that . 

In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Nahh. It’s not sad. They’re just maintaining a routine in their day which most need. They’ve probably been workers all their lives with a morning routine, and shopping has replaced getting to work.

> The early bird and all that....

But why go stand in the cold and damp rather than wait in their car ?  That's the odd bit

And the constantly staring at the doors and trying them .

Really strange.

Post edited at 23:33
 Blue Straggler 25 Jan 2020

> And the constantly staring at the doors and trying them .

> Really strange.

Try watching a Boots or other pharmacy 10-15 minutes before opening. It’s a somewhat heartbreaking sight sometimes. People needing (whether psychologically or physically) their prescription. Looking at their watch every thirty seconds, peering in through the door as if an employee will catch their eye and open up seven minutes early. Trying and rattling the door, seven minutes early. 

pneame 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

That sounds like queuing for the aug du midi lift at 5:30 am back when that was how it worked. 

> Try watching a Boots or other pharmacy 10-15 minutes before opening. It’s a somewhat heartbreaking sight sometimes. People needing (whether psychologically or physically) their prescription. Looking at their watch every thirty seconds, peering in through the door as if an employee will catch their eye and open up seven minutes early. Trying and rattling the door, seven minutes early. 

Pefa 25 Jan 2020

Perhaps they think someone inside the shop will see them and open the doors a bit early because they are waiting in the cold, so why go all the way back to your car when it could open at any minute.Ye know and perhaps they have a friendly chat to with the others even if it is just a wee group moan. 

coinneach 25 Jan 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Know what you need to get, go to those aisles and get it, and go home! I think there should be an express hour

There is , but you need to get there 10-15 minutes before they open!

Pbob 25 Jan 2020

Replace 'old people' with 'climbers' and 'supermarket' with 'Kinder Downfall' and you probably have your answer.

Timmd 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

> What gets me is the number of people who think going to the supermarket on a busy Saturday will be a nice day out for the family, so you have two adults and 3 kids clogging up the isles and showcasing 'pester power' to the masses. 

> Now I understand you may be a single parent, or if your other half is at work you may have to bring the little darlings. BUT if you have two parents both with time on their hands, surely it would be better for EVERYONE if one parent looks after the kids whilst the other shops solo.

I vaguely have the feeling that when it's 'a big shop', two pairs of hands can be better than one for packing it and transporting it to the car and what have you. My parents used to do a monthly shop and I remember 2 of the 3 of us going around with them. I can remember us being complemented on being well behaved by a lady in a posh shop once while on holiday one time too...but I don't know how much my subjective memory is to be trusted about not being much of a pestering child. 

Post edited at 11:44
 abh 25 Jan 2020
In reply to Jenny C:

Do you know their circumstances?  Maybe they only have  one car and they have to drive to the supermarket before/ after going swimming/ dropping the kids off at a party etc

How old were the kids you typically see out? I've lost one of mine at the supermarket by myself. Not much fun. So loking after 2 (you mentioned 3) can have it's challenges..

I am sure the parents would love to do something more enjoyable, but maybe the parents work full time and it is an opportuninuty to spend some time together.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...