UKC

Tents for use in the Pyrenees

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BoaseF 01 May 2022

I am planning a 3 month walk along the The Pyrenean Haute Route ( HRP) this summer.

The tent I have made by Vango is one where the tent is erected first and then covered with the fly sheet.

BUT

If it's pouring with rain then the tent will be soaked before I can get the fly on.

SO.

My question is can anybody recommend a 2 man tent where the fly is erected first and the tent hangs from the fly?

felt 01 May 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/for_sale+wanted/terra_nova_quasar_tent-74... 

It doesn't rain much on the Spanish side, so if you have alternative itineraries on certain days as you do in the Véron guide, choose the Spanish option. Three months is ample time for the trip, nice and leisurely.

gethin_allen 01 May 2022
In reply to felt:

A good strong tent but quite a load to carry unless the plan is to do it in winter. 

In reply to the op, loads of modern tents are pitched in one to avoid these issues. 

Fruit 01 May 2022
In reply to felt:

I’ve got an old Quasar and it is pitched inner first, maybe they changed it.

felt 01 May 2022
In reply to gethin_allen & fruit:

OK, bad advice re the tent from me on both fronts, sorry; I assumed it was lightweight/outer first. By the by, I've got a Marmot Nusku 2 person, 3.4 kg, pitches with both inner/outer at once, would be perfect for the OP's 2-person party. But the model's discontinued I think. Maybe that would be considered heavy too, but carried between two would be fine. Super-lightweight has rather passed me by, and I like taking lots of proper fruit and veg rather than space food.

Rob Exile Ward 01 May 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

I have a vango mirage 200 which you can pitch outer first, it's robust, not too heavy and so far has been pretty good.

Monk 01 May 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

To be honest, I've used loads of inner-first tents over the years in some fairly crap conditions and it works out just fine. If it's really truly grim, just lay the fly over the inner as you set it up, but it's been a rare occasion when I've resorted to this (think Scotland in November). It only takes a couple of minutes to put up the tent when you are used to it, so it's not really an issue in most cases. I'd be more interested in weight and durability. 

OP BoaseF 03 May 2022
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

Rob, Thanks for the tip but at £ 220.00 it's too expensive.

ben b 03 May 2022
In reply to BoaseF:

Monk speaks the truth. Inner first tents leave the inner exposed to the elements alone for a couple of minutes. If it's raining that hard you will probably get wet anyway. It's one of those things that makes sense on paper but in the real world isn't as much of an issue as expected. 

With practice it is often possible to loosely peg e.g. 2 opposite corners of the fly and erect the inner beneath it, if absolutely required, but it's not really any better because if raining that hard it will pool  on the fly before you can get the tent up. Also unless continuous pole sleeves it's difficult. And even when they re continuous, wet poles through wet nylon is still harder than expected. 

It's better to take 2 minutes of slick inner first/fly after compared to 10 minutes of mucking around.

Also, the answer to "which tent" would IMO be the Durston 2P but they won't be in stock in the US until June/July, which I assume will be too late if you are away for 3/12. https://durstongear.com/product/x-mid-2p

That one goes up fly first, or both together, has plenty of space, and a weight of 1.1kg for 2 people.  The bells (one each side) are placed so that there's no dripping in to the inner when the door opens. 

b

mike123 03 May 2022
In reply to BoaseF: I agree regarding inner first not being too much of a problem unless it’s really bad . If ? As you suggest , price is a consideration , look at the alpkit range . I ve had several ( and used lots more ) back packing   tents over the years and the alpkit ones I have now  are unbeatable in terms of value for money . They often have them on sale but they are good value at normal price .

Post edited at 07:26
 mike123 03 May 2022
In reply to mike123:

Just had a quick look . They have the Tetri for £139 . I ve got one and I think I paid more than that on sale . Very good value.

Post edited at 07:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...