UKC

Test & Trace farce

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Ww 09 Jan 2021

So I’ve just received a text from Gov.Uk to tell me that my Covid-19 test is negative. Unfortunately, my name isn’t Harry, and I’m not 16 years old. Absolutely world-beating system, and excellent value at only £2bn.

Luke90 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

I'd be the last person to stick up for the competence of this government and its chums picking up the contracts, but surely the most likely explanation here is that young Harry gave them the wrong phone number?

elsewhere 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/11/uks-test-and-trace-repeatedly...

"England's test and trace repeatedly failed to hit goals despite £22bn cost

NAO report finds scheme is failing to reach enough contacts and only returns 40% of tests within 24 hours"

OP John Ww 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Luke90:

Very possibly - and all I need to do is click on the “contact us to report a mistake” button. Oh, hang on, there isn’t one...

Neil Williams 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Luke90:

> I'd be the last person to stick up for the competence of this government and its chums picking up the contracts, but surely the most likely explanation here is that young Harry gave them the wrong phone number?

Dare I suggest he might well have done it deliberately, too?

I'm not sure what value T&T has in its current form, really, unless you're going to do it much more invasively (and work backwards as well) - the problem is that with a week's incubation period you'll have been spreading it round long before the system stops it.  As it is it's a phone a friend service, and reasonable people will do that anyway, whereas unreasonable people will ignore it whatever.

Post edited at 13:19
 elsewhere 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

> Very possibly - and all I need to do is click on the “contact us to report a mistake” button. Oh, hang on, there isn’t one...

Or when harry supplies his number at the test centre they send an immediate message to see if he gets it before they stick the swab up his nose.

You can't trap all human error but no excuse for not trying.

Post edited at 13:48
OP John Ww 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

But why bother having a test and then deliberately giving a false number? That makes no sense.

In reply to John Ww:

> But why bother having a test and then deliberately giving a false number? That makes no sense.

Because his Mum made him go for one?

Toby_W 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

My wife met a fellow consultant who’s specialty is public health.  She was absolutely scathing about the app, the gov and all things to do with it.  They were not involved, asked for advice and it was given to a private company.  
It is a disgrace on any number of levels and an utter failure.

Toby

hang_about 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

I was contacted by test and trace on 28th Dec. I had had contact with someone on 5th Dec who was identified by the NHS as positive on the 7th Dec. Fortunately I  found out, self isolated and told contacts.  Explained it to the nice helpful women on the phone. Told me she'd check and phone back. This she did saying she'd put a note on the system saying this was the relevant date (backed up by NHS). System completely ignored it.

In reply to John Ww:

It sounds like a human error.....

You should have a unique barcode...I would ring the number you were given and tell them.

gravy 09 Jan 2021
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

You get a unique bar code when get the vaccine thanks to the Bill Gates' microchip. This interacts with 5G and makes to pregnant*

* might be infertile, I can't remember

wercat 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

adding a facility to correct mistakes would have reduced a croney's profit margin.  Hopefully the extra profit can be donated to a Charity like the Cheltenham Festival ...

The Lemming 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

I have a question.

Why has it taken almost a year before the government considered banning people entering the country via airports unless they have a negative Covid test?

I'm sure other countries thought of this idea over the last year?

I may be mistaken though.

marsbar 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

Garbage in garbage out.  

Anyone would think they should validate data before entering it into our world class old version of Excel database.  

wintertree 09 Jan 2021
In reply to marsbar:

> Anyone would think they should validate data before entering it into our world class old version of Excel database.  

Now I'll have you know that Excel is a great tool for managing 600,000 records a day, because it  even runs on an old, basic PC and every school leaver knows how to use it.  Although maybe use .xlsx not .xls files...

(Said our leading expert in Dunning Kruger, currently absent from these parts).

In reply to gravy:

> You get a unique bar code when get the vaccine thanks to the Bill Gates' microchip. This interacts with 5G and makes to pregnant*

> * might be infertile, I can't remember

😉

In reply to elsewhere:

> Or when harry supplies his number at the test centre they send an immediate message to see if he gets it before they stick the swab up his nose.

> You can't trap all human error but no excuse for not trying.

It is very possible to enter the incorrect details into the system...but every test has a unique bar code that you are given.

If you don't receive a text then you're able to ring a number to follow up.

marsbar 09 Jan 2021

That's what data validation process is for.

For something as important as this the number should be verified.  

I have to get a code via text message to sign into the. Gov.uk site.  It isn't difficult. It should be possible to have it done automatically when booking a test.  

marsbar 09 Jan 2021
In reply to John Ww:

Harry age 16 has a case of sensitive medical data being shared to a random person.  

Maybe the information commissioner would be interested.  

In reply to wintertree:

When you're entering 50 tests a day on people's doorsteps then yes...mistakes happen.

Believe me......the saving grace...as I keep saying is the registered bar code that is swiped by the hand set and left with occupant.

In reply to gravy:

> You get a unique bar code when get the vaccine thanks to the Bill Gates' microchip. This interacts with 5G and makes to pregnant*

> * might be infertile, I can't remember

How easy was it to miss a 'you' out..😉

In reply to marsbar:

I'm hearing what you're saying but I've entered details from people that I could never understand....in all weathers....in some cases we rang the number given to double check.

Like some say...you put rubbish in,you get rubbish out.

The fail safe....should be the barcode that is scanned by the handset...stuck to the box and a copy left with the occupant.

Post edited at 15:10
 marsbar 09 Jan 2021

Not blaming you, not at all.  Not an easy job.

The system should have a safeguard built in.  

It is illegal and unacceptable that Harry's medical results were sent elsewhere.  

This is why it shouldn't be possible and the likely possibility of human error should be ruled out preferably, or at least brought to the attention of someone to go back and check.  

jkarran 09 Jan 2021
In reply to The Lemming:

> I have a question.

> Why has it taken almost a year before the government considered banning people entering the country via airports unless they have a negative Covid test?

Incompetence, fear of reciprocation, lobbying, fear of bigger airline/airport bailouts, relative pointlessness as we've been fairly consistently higher prevalence than elsewhere, the idea testing symptomatic people is better than testing well people when tests are limited... Take your pick, it's not clear given our 'run hot' strategy this constitutes much of a mistake (though the strategy itself is). 

Jk

Post edited at 15:32
OP John Ww 09 Jan 2021

> It sounds like a human error.....

> You should have a unique barcode...I would ring the number you were given and tell them.

How the hell can I ring them on a number I haven’t got, to tell them the barcode I haven’t got, of the test I never took?

In reply to marsbar:

> Not blaming you, not at all.  Not an easy job.

> The system should have a safeguard built in.  

> It is illegal and unacceptable that Harry's medical results were sent elsewhere.  

> This is why it shouldn't be possible and the likely possibility of human error should be ruled out preferably, or at least brought to the attention of someone to go .

Thanks...yes definitely a different job...I seem to fall for the data entry bit.

We received a bit of abuse in Bradford....

Not quite comfortable with medical results equal test results,but that is one way of putting it.

In reply to John Ww:

> How the hell can I ring them on a number I haven’t got, to tell them the barcode I haven’t got, of the test I never took?

Not quite sure if you are trolling here...

We left an information leaflet,tel number and barcode with every occupant.

Post edited at 15:59
OP John Ww 09 Jan 2021

Not quite sure if you are hard of reading, so I’ll make it really simple for you

- I did not take a test

- I received a text which gave me a complete stranger’s result.

gravy 09 Jan 2021

"How easy was it to miss a 'you' out" - I haven't had the vaccine yet so MS-autocorrect isn't installed yet...

In reply to John Ww:

You know I was going to add that on my last reply....sorry but you are coming across as slightly edgy.

Like a previous reply...simply a case of wrong number.

Hopefully I haven't offended you..have a nice evening.

> Dare I suggest he might well have done it deliberately, too?

> I'm not sure what value T&T has in its current form, really, unless you're going to do it much more invasively (and work backwards as well) - the problem is that with a week's incubation period you'll have been spreading it round long before the system stops it.  As it is it's a phone a friend service, and reasonable people will do that anyway, whereas unreasonable people will ignore it whatever.

I think you have point here.. 

I'm not sure if you are aware,people who were testing positive and on benefits were able to get £500 cash...

I think Bradford had paid out £420k up to a few weeks back.

> I'm not sure if you are aware,people who were testing positive and on benefits were able to get £500 cash...

Yes, I was aware of that, but I bet many of them sneaked out to the shop or their mate's house anyway.

> Yes, I was aware of that, but I bet many of them sneaked out to the shop or their mate's house anyway.

Again...👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...