UKC

The Queensferry Crossing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 20 Apr 2018

I love this bridge, it's an awesome thing. I walked across it, me and my family enjoyed the experience. It's a motorway, 70mph, why is the traffic so slow on the bridge? 

subtle 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

wind

alan moore 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Rubbernecking (like you said, it's a cool bridge); it usually speeds up by the time you reach the exit ramp.

OP aln 20 Apr 2018
In reply to subtle:

There's the high tech baffles, they seem to work. 

wintertree 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

> It's a motorway, 70mph, why is the traffic so slow on the bridge? 

As well as answers already given, lowering speed reduces risk of a crash, import to balance the consequences of a crash which are higher on a bridge.

Post edited at 14:56
 OMR 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

It's because even raised to motorway standards, it's still a bottleneck. Two lanes of the M90 feeding in from the north, along with feeds from all parts of Fife and beyond. From the south you have all the traffic from Edinburgh, the M8 and the M9. From north and south they all merge just short of the bridge,so you have up to six lanes squeezing into two.

That's what I think anyway.

james1978 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

I'm guessing that if you walked across it, you probably walked across the old Forth road bridge. Unfortunately there's no pedestrian access to the new Queensferry crossing which is the motorway...

MarkJH 20 Apr 2018
In reply to james1978:

> I'm guessing that if you walked across it, you probably walked across the old Forth road bridge. Unfortunately there's no pedestrian access to the new Queensferry crossing which is the motorway...

It was open to pedestrians prior to opening for traffic. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-41126485

OP aln 20 Apr 2018
In reply to james1978:

> I'm guessing that if you walked across it, you probably walked across the old Forth road bridge. Unfortunately there's no pedestrian access to the new Queensferry crossing which is the motorway...

You guess wrongly. We walked across the bridge in my OP, the Queensferry Crossing, me, my son and girlfriend have letters and a pop up invitation to prove it. Plus photos. And memories.

james1978 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

Then I stand corrected good sir and offer you my apologies.

I thought that you were referring to a recent walk across the bridge and I misunderstood.

I trust that the outing with your family was enjoyable, and for what it's worth I despair at the speed of the Queensferry crossing also!

OP aln 20 Apr 2018
In reply to james1978:

No problem. There's a lot of friction on this site, nice to actually agree with someone. I think a lot of people don't realise the bridge is a 70mph and kinda slow down coz they're unsure. And the approach from the Edinburgh side is 50 etc which doesn't help. 

Lusk 20 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

>  I think a lot of people don't realise the bridge is a 70mph and kinda slow down coz they're unsure.

Must be a Scottish thing.
Plenty of motorway bridges in the rest of the UK which everyone blasts over at 70+mph without thinking about it.

Lucky you getting the walkover in

OP aln 20 Apr 2018
In reply to Lusk:

It was a great experience, we loved it. Felt like being part of history. 

OP aln 26 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

> It was a great experience, we loved it. Felt like being part of history. 

Dislike on this. I've definitely joined the ranks of those with dislike stalkers, sad people. 

Rampikino 26 Apr 2018
In reply to aln:

> Dislike on this. I've definitely joined the ranks of those with dislike stalkers, sad people. 

Looking at your posts - I agree. Bizarre, utterly bizarre. Some people are odd.

OP aln 26 Apr 2018
In reply to Rampikino:

> Looking at your posts - I agree. Bizarre, utterly bizarre. Some people are odd.

Indeed they are. 

OP aln 01 May 2018
In reply to aln:

From recent experience it seems that part of the problem is that the bridge is now attracting those drivers who think the correct way to drive on a motorway is to sit in the outside lane at 50mph.

Martin W 01 May 2018
In reply to aln:

> From recent experience it seems that part of the problem is that the bridge is now attracting those drivers who think the correct way to drive on a motorway is to sit in the outside lane at 50mph.

See also: Edinburgh City Bypass.

To be fair, you usually didn't manage to get up to 50mph (that was the speed limit, wasn't it?) on the FRB at busy times, either.

Jim Fraser 02 May 2018
In reply to wintertree:

> > It's a motorway, 70mph, why is the traffic so slow on the bridge? 

> As well as answers already given, lowering speed reduces risk of a crash, import to balance the consequences of a crash which are higher on a bridge.

Well, we were doing 70 on the FRB years ago, with a lot less space and without wind protection, and the crashes all seemed to happen when it slowed down, got dense, and people got confused and frustrated. 

There is great road design either side of the QC and, though there might be a bit of confusion for new visitors, regular users should easily be keeping the flow going during most of the day. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...