UKC

The sham of democracy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Cohen 18 Apr 2018

I struggle to recall the last time we had such a dysfunctional government (even Major's administration looks positively competent by comparison to the current administration) and an even worse opposition.

Today Corbyn showed the extent to which Labour have plumbed the depths and the only serious opposition is limited to a small cabal in the Cabinet and on the back benches of both parties: the question is will either group have the courage to wield the dagger and bring the edifice down.

Now is the time of all good people to come to the aid of the Country and damn the party loyalties, the only way of giving Labour and the Tories a slap is to vote Lib Dem in the local elections and then hope for an 'En Marche' style new party to rise from the chaos.

Andy Hardy 18 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

Liked. Unfortunately FPTP will ensure we are saddled with useless tossers for ever more.

Dax H 18 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

I am voting indy in the locals. Torys have slashed the local budget,the Labour Council have squandered what they did get and put things in place like the tolerated Red light zone just down the road and you only seem to here from them at election time. The independents on the other hand have been working hard to improve the local community for years and they all live in the local community too. 

FactorXXX 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Dax H:

> I am voting indy in the locals. Torys have slashed the local budget,the Labour Council have squandered what they did get and put things in place like the tolerated Red light zone just down the road and you only seem to here from them at election time. 

Is the 'Tolerated Red Light Zone' aimed at winning votes from cyclists?

winhill 18 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

Our current troubles were caused in large part by Cameron and Miliband, two mediocre non-entities who would have disappeared if it wasn't for kingmaker Clegg.

In reply to David Cohen:

And why not vote Green, say?  Otherwise all you're doing is voting for the perennial third place in a two-party state.

T.

Cobra_Head 18 Apr 2018
In reply to winhill:

> Our current troubles were caused in large part by Cameron and Miliband, two mediocre non-entities who would have disappeared if it wasn't for kingmaker Clegg.

Clegg!!! honestly WTF! 

"No raise in tuition fees"

Cobra_Head 18 Apr 2018
In reply to winhill:

> Our current troubles were caused in large part by Cameron and Miliband, two mediocre non-entities who would have disappeared if it wasn't for kingmaker Clegg.

Clegg!!! honestly WTF! 

"No raise in tuition fees"

Tony Jones 19 Apr 2018
In reply to winhill:

I'm not sure what blame can be attached to Miliband in all this except that, I suppose, if he hadn't resigned we might not now have an opposition leader that supports the government's position on Brexit.

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

He could be playing the ling game so when he replaces Corbyn the papers will have to call him "Slightly Left-of-Centre Ed".

stevieb 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

> I'm not sure what blame can be attached to Miliband in all this except that, I suppose, if he hadn't resigned we might not now have an opposition leader that supports the government's position on Brexit.

I guess you can blame Milliband for challenging his brother. His brother would probably have done better in the 2015 election because he had  top level experience, and although he was more robotic, her was also more substantial and less nerdy.

You can also blame Miliband for not putting Labour party support behind the single alternative vote referendum.

In reply to David Cohen:

Hardly the sham of democracy (Putin, Erdogan anyone) just the voters not delivering decent candidates.

When I saw the title I assumed you would be talking about the real problem with democracy: Polarisation, when 51% of a group get to lord it over 49% of another group because 'the people decided'.

Hat Dude 19 Apr 2018
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> He could be playing the ling game

Could be handy when we get into another Cod War after Brexit

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

Dammit! I'm really floundering with my spelling at the moment.

Hat Dude 19 Apr 2018

So it wasn't a fluke error then?

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

The blame lies soley with my fat fingers. Normally they skate across the keyboard, but not today.

Hat Dude 19 Apr 2018

A little dab on the wrong key is all it takes

Andy Hardy 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Hat Dude:

He should be paying more atenchion to his typing

wercat 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Eel definately try harder going forwards

Phil79 19 Apr 2018
In reply to stevieb:

> I guess you can blame Milliband for challenging his brother. His brother would probably have done better in the 2015 election because he had  top level experience, and although he was more robotic, her was also more substantial and less nerdy.

Yes, I think political landscape might be very different today had the other Milliband won the labour leadership.

But then again, I can say that about many many political events in recent years. 

Andrew Kin 19 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

I don't vote anymore.  I am passionate about how bad politics is and I don't trust A SINGLE ONE OF THEM.  I couldn't look my kids in the eye if I gave support to any of them so I support none of them.

I listened to them bickering yesterday and all I could think was if I was there I would have called every single one of them pathetic children, nitpicking and wasting time when they are employed to look after the countries best interests.  I don't give a shite who did or didn't authorise or sign the bit of paper 10yrs ago.  Sort it, make sure it doesn't happen again and move on.  Corbyn is a cretin and May isn't much better.

I don't mind making bad decisions.  I don't mind making unpopular decisions.  I do mind when it becomes a popularity contest.

Removed User 19 Apr 2018
In reply to David Cohen:

I'm beginning to understand you now.

When a country you identify with is criticised you assuage your cognitive dissonance by convincing yourself that it's just racism.

When you don't get the government you want because very few agree with you you assuage your cognitive dissonance by convincing yourself that it's the fault of the system.

But hey! Here's an opportunity to make the the most important and missing part of your argument. Tell us why the Lib Dems are the party to vote for, not why you erroneously think the others aren't.

fred99 19 Apr 2018
In reply to Andrew Kin:

> I don't vote anymore. 

If you refuse to take part in the electoral process you cannot complain about whatever the egotistical self-centred wazzoks that get elected have done. Furthermore these wazzoks will always claim that because you didn't vote against them, you evidently (to their eyes at least) agree with whatever fat-headed policies they had in their manifesto (or dreamt up afterwards).

Andrew Kin 19 Apr 2018
In reply to fred99:

Oh I completely agree.  But I find the current situation like being asked if I prefer to eat a dog turd or a human turd.  Any sane person would refuse both and wouldn't let themselves be dragged into such stupidity.

You carry on voting for turds and then complaining when the turd gets it wrong and the other turd keeps shouting that they could have done a better job even though you know in your heart they are both just turds.

Personally I find it easier to accept that the general public get what they deserve on the whole which is why the Americans have got Trump and we have May and Corbyn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...