UKC

This mornings dog walk etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 24 May 2022

Heard the blackbirds having a go, so a bit of neck straining and bingo!

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

And a phone photo of a common blue. Not that common round here though. 

Little ringed plover on a very dull Sunday.  The ringed plover is only a bit bigger, but little ringed has a black beak (ringed has orange) and has pure brown wings (ringed has a white wing bar). Well cute!

Post edited at 11:14

Little egret flicking a small fish (visible in the photo)  in its beak (probably so it’s pointing head first down it’s neck) then flinging it down its neck. I think. 

Michael Hood 24 May 2022

Other things that are more obvious when you see Ringed and Little Ringed together:

• RP has orange legs, LRP has pale pink but they're noticeably dull next to RP.
  • RP's black and white bands are noticeably neater than LRP which looks relatively scruffy.
  • LRP has a prominent yellow eye ring as per your photos.

In summary, when you see a LRP you tend to think, I'll check it's really a LRP and not a RP, when you see a RP it's obvious.

Oh, great photos BTW.

Post edited at 18:30
 Darron 24 May 2022

Eyering also definitive. Nice pics!

Ooopps! Mr H beat me to it.

Post edited at 21:18
In reply to Darron:

From last week, pied wagtail, linnet and blackcap (never easy to get a good photo). Loads of blackcap and whitethroat round here. And linnets are so camouflaged and hard to see, which is odd considering how colourful they are. 

In reply to Darron:

Common tern. 

Michael Hood 24 May 2022

If you want definite good views/shots of Common Tern then "locally" (one I found out about recently) - Doffcocker on the outskirts of Bolton, 3 minutes from the car, public footpath on causeway across lake, terns on platforms in clear view from path.

Also more than one Reed Warbler being hidden unseen in the reeds.

In reply to Michael Hood:

Thanks for that. And Doffcocker is a great name. Next time I do a name change, think I’ll become Doffcocker. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...