UKC

Tiger has CV-19

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JLS 06 Apr 2020

A tiger in an NY zoo has CV-19.

Am I making a leap to think the virus is now going to be transmitted around the UK by every cat and dog in the land?

The implications are a bit worrying... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

Post edited at 08:40
Removed User 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

I guess we'll have to see but yes, this isn't good news.

Luke90 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

> Am I making a leap

Yes.

Neil Williams 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

It's cats that would be very concerning as they cannot be controlled.  Dog spread outside a household could be basically prevented by a short term law requiring all dogs on a short lead.  Most other domestic animals are caged.

Post edited at 09:10
 Rob Exile Ward 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

Am I allowed to make the not very funny joke that if this means I can start shooting the cats that cr*p on my lawn every night, I'm all for it?

DerwentDiluted 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

Fortunately I already have a policy of not being less than 2m from tigers.

OP JLS 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

>"Dog spread outside a household could be basically prevented by a short term law requiring all dogs on a short lead."

I'll be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the habits of dogs but isn't there a risk of transmission from sniffing and pissing on lampposts etc?

Post edited at 09:11
In reply to JLS:

> I'll be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the habits of dogs but isn't there a risk of transmission from sniffing lampposts etc?

Possibly, if they come into contact with the lamp-post.  I doubt it is possible by simple smell.

Stichtplate 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

> I'll be honest, I'm not overly familiar with the habits of dogs but isn't there a risk of transmission from sniffing and pissing on lampposts etc?

I think you’ll be OK to continue pissing on lampposts but I’d quit the sniffing with immediate effect.

freeflyer 06 Apr 2020

I feel they'll need to do some proper investigation into this before social hysteria ensues.

I've been giggling at the local dog walkers all doing their daily update from 2m+ while the doggies on their long leads do their normal thing. Fortunately cats are territorial so unlikely to be a vector; do you remember that documentary in Surrey where they put GPS and cameras on the local moggies and set up the surveillance HQ in the village hall? The cats all carefully avoided each other.

Let's hope it turns out not to be pet transmissible.

Edit: found a link - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22567526

Post edited at 09:31
 Jenny C 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

If I catch the grey cat that that keeps shitting in my veg plot it will be going home with a bin bag of cat shit tied to its collar. 

oldie 06 Apr 2020
In reply to freeflyer:

Agree absolutely no reason for hysteria. Maybe should test cats (PCR and antibody tests if possible) from a few households where everyone has had C19 to put peoples' minds at rest.

Our local cats do sit on some of the things we handle and some do share the same spots with other cats ,eg top of our rubbish bin, but not simultaneously . They also spit (?) at each other when facing off. Of course they do sit on household furniture, laps etc in close proximity to their owners.

Post edited at 10:14
 LastBoyScout 06 Apr 2020
In reply to JLS:

Fortunately, there aren't any tigers for miles around here.

However, I have been wondering for a while whether, since the virus came from an animal species, it could make the leap back to another animal species.

A couple of the neighbours cats regularly wander through our garden and the kids like to make a fuss of them, but we've stopped them doing that for now.

In reply to LastBoyScout:

That would be sensible anyway, as even if they aren't carriers in a traditional sense they may have been stroked by someone who is infected and be carrying it in their fur in that way instead.

I agree, no need to panic.  No need to panic about any of it, really, panic (as climbers tend to well know) is a negative emotion in any crisis.

brianjcooper 06 Apr 2020
In reply to DerwentDiluted:

> Fortunately I already have a policy of not being less than 2m from tigers.

Nearly choked laughing on my mug of tea. Brilliant!

wercat 06 Apr 2020

they eat human faeces though and faeces transmit.  I've seen a labrador eat a pile of human Diarrhoea on helvellyn and then go to lovingly bounce up and greet the owner

Post edited at 12:31
 robhorton 06 Apr 2020
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Even if it's theoretically possibly it seems unlikely domestic cats and dogs will be significant spreaders (compared to visiting the supermarket) of the virus but it probably makes sense to avoid getting too close to other peoples animals anyway.

In reply to wercat:

Faeces do, but I'm sure I heard or read it being said that transmission via the alimentary canal (can't see why that would differ between mammals) is unlikely as stomach acid would dissolve it.

Post edited at 13:10
 Dr.S at work 06 Apr 2020

a lot of dogs and cats have been tested, no positives in pets from Idexx (industry leaders)

https://www.idexx.co.uk/en-gb/about-idexx/no-covid-19-cases-pets/

there have been a couple of possibles in hong kong, and the tigers.

long story short - not a big issue.

blackcat 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:All cats need is litter trays to keep them indoors, in any case the WHO are saying theres no evidence shown that animals can transmit the virus to humans.

OP JLS 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Dr.S at work:

>"long story short - not a big issue."

I'm good to send my pet chimp up to the shops for me then?

...wait a minute, isn't that how planet of the apes started?

andrew breckill 06 Apr 2020

its worse than that, cats have given up on the opposable thumbs idea, and are now pursuing another route to world domination.

If it manages to spread through zoos, could this mean.... Kung Flu Panda???

You're welcome.

russellcampbell 06 Apr 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

When I saw the title of your thread I thought you were referring to Tiger Woods, the golfer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...