UKC

to Kindle or not to kindle...........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fil 23 Dec 2012
The wife wants a Kindle.......
I know nothing about them........
Any advice on options or alternatives?
Cheers.
 Indy 23 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:
Wife here has one and loves it. Best advice is get the one where the screen lights up as in the dark a normal Kindle is useless.

You can get Kindle reading apps for most other devices but you don't get e-ink.
 andy 23 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: Kindle White is the lighty up one - I've got one and it's ace.
 Only a hill 23 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:
If I was getting a new Kindle now I would also go for the Paperwhite model.
OP fil 23 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:
Are there any viable alternatives?

Cheers
 Kimono 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:

any viable alternatives...err, like books maybe??

Ok, i admit to owning a kindle...but only because i live abroad in a non-english speaking country and cant get the books i want easily.
If i was still in the UK i would just read normal books and get everything i wanted to read for free from the library.

Quite unnecessary technology imo
OP fil 24 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
Typical UKc arse type post that is tha main reason I don't post here often. Thankfully there have been some helpful replies, thankyou.
KevinD 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:
> (In reply to fil)
> Are there any viable alternatives?

kobo or the nook.
Kindle has the advantage of the better established store but those two get fairly good reviews.
personally i went the kindle route though.

Kimono 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:
really? i wasnt trying to be a knob, just expressing my opinion....please dont take it personally

Crikey, can you get this worked up about whether a kindle is a good idea or not ??

Relax, its christmas time
 Only a hill 24 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:
Even my parents now have Kindles so I think we can be sure the tech is here to stay!

It had been proven that people who own ereaders actually read more. This makes them a good thing in my view.
needvert 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:

I read way more on the kindle than not. It's good, get one.

Cavet:

Privacy concern, books read is a nice way to profile people

Amazon can and has in the past remotely deleted books, so don't count on having your ebooks forever.
 EeeByGum 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: If she wants a Kindle, just get one. She will be happy!
In reply to fil:

The Kindle app on the iPad 3 is a good alternative to a 'real' Kindle. The iPad 3 screen is pretty much as good as a Paper White Kindle for reading, the earlier iPads don't have the same resolution. Battery life isn't as good but the user interface is better and the iPad does a lot more stuff than an eReader.
OP fil 24 Dec 2012
In reply to kieran b:

Sorry Kieran, long day and I HATE Christmas shopping! Plus I have some experience of books so didn't really need a review of that forma

Merry Christmas!
 Cailean Harker 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: I love my kindle. Really got me back into reading. I would deffinatly recommend one.
 LastBoyScout 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:

What phone have they got? I've got a Kindle reader on my Galaxy S2 and that's pretty good - the S3 has an even bigger screen.

The main thing I've got against the Kindle is that that's all it does (unless I'm missing something) - I'd be inclined to get them a cheapie Android tablet that can also be used for email and web surfing (if that's their thing) and download the Kindle reader on that.
 Philo22 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: Got my girlfriend the Kindle Fire for her birthday, she loves it. Easy shopping options for books and also handy for streaming films (get a mini HDMI and you can stream through your TV). Think the Kindle library should be up now as well so plenty of free books around...
Good luck!
 1poundSOCKS 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: The standard Kindle (i.e. not Fire or Fire HD) is great for just reading, that's pretty much all it does. The e-ink & battery life is what separates it from the tablets. Personally I love having the 3g, it's great when I travel, free basic web browsing (even abroad), which is good enough of for gmail at least (and obviously you can shop for books when you don't have wi-fi around).

The only negatives I've read from other Kindle owners is durability. All I can say is I haven't had any problems with mine, I've had it for 2 years, I carry with me nearly all the time, and use it ever day.
 climbingpixie 24 Dec 2012
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I don't really get the argument that a tablet or an app is better than an e-reader. The battery on most smartphones isn't good enough for prolonged reading and if you already have access to a laptop or computer then a tablet as well as a smartphone seems overkill. Personally I got a kindle because I wanted to read books on it so as long as I can do that I'm happy!
 climbingpixie 24 Dec 2012
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

I have the 3g one and abused the free data so much while I was in Norway! Being able to get the weather forecasts without paying data charges was brilliant.
 Trangia 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:

They are great, particularly for going away on holiday when you can take loads of books without tight weight or space restrictions.

BUT if they crash you are buggered, particularly if you are holidaying in the back of beyond.
Banj 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: Possibly my favourite possession. Great if you read a lot. Free wifi abroad on the 3g is a nice bonus, weeks of battery life make it incomparable with apps on other devices. If you're concerned about the fact that you don't 'own' ebooks that you have paid for, get Calibre and back your books up.
Durability may be an issue; I've been lucky; mine died 11 months outside warranty and Amazon replaced it for free. (and upgraded it from non-3g to 3g) They are cheap enough and I use it enough to happily buy a new one every year if I had to. Get the wife a Kindle!
 Only a hill 24 Dec 2012
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to fil)
>
> They are great, particularly for going away on holiday when you can take loads of books without tight weight or space restrictions.
>
> BUT if they crash you are buggered, particularly if you are holidaying in the back of beyond.

On balance this is a price worth paying, because when holidaying in the back of beyond the last thing you want to be carrying is 10kg of books ... and a single book, although reliable compared to a kindle, just won't last long enough on a holiday more than a few days in length.
 1poundSOCKS 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: I found this comment on a website..

The web browser in new kindles is restricted to internet access to only amazon and wikipedia (probably because unlimited 3G is not cheap for them and they wanted to lower the price of new kindle models).

Does anyone have the new Kindle 3G & know if this is true? My old keyboard Kindle isn't restricted, but if it broke I'd be looking at the new 3G model.
 Kimono 24 Dec 2012
In reply to climbingpixie:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout)
>
> I don't really get the argument that a tablet or an app is better than an e-reader. The battery on most smartphones isn't good enough for prolonged reading and if you already have access to a laptop or computer then a tablet as well as a smartphone seems overkill. Personally I got a kindle because I wanted to read books on it so as long as I can do that I'm happy!

I read on my iphone and never use my kindle anymore. Why? Not because its better, but because it is always with me.
And yes, you do get used to the size...seems fine now.
And no, the battery life is not good on an iphone but it still sees the day out most days

Ali 24 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: I posted a thread about this a couple of months ago asking for recommendations... I ended up going for the Kindle Paperwhite and it's great - definitely recommend it. I also got the cover which goes with it, which would also recommend getting (though it's not that cheap) - when you open the cover the kindle starts automatically and when you close it, it shuts down - just like a book

I'm still reading 'normal' books at home, but it's great for taking on journeys or reading for 10mins on the train to work.
 TCCB 25 Dec 2012
In reply to All:

Thanks very much for all the advice. I went for the Kindle Paperwhite in the end as it seemed to fit the bill.
Hopefully she'll be happy..................

Merry Christmas.

OP fil 25 Dec 2012
In reply to All:

Whoops......wrong login!

Thanks very much for all the advice. I went for the Kindle Paperwhite in the end as it seemed to fit the bill.
Hopefully she'll be happy..................

Merry Christmas.

stp 26 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:

Kindles can't read epubs: the main file format for electronic books. So they're kind of like a web browser that can't read html.

There are tons of free epubs out there plus there's free software to convert or even make you're own - so shopping lists, phone number lists, addresses etc can then be added to your book reader.

I got a Kobo Glo from WH Smiths. Very similar to Kindle but reads epubs. It also has a back light which is great for improved contrast in places with poor light.

The best ebook readers I think are Onyx - the OS is more open so you can add your own apps and they can even do stuff like play music.

If you need to use it for PDF's get a large (9") screen.
In reply to fil: i got the basic one for christmas. after a bit of faffing trying to get my card registered, and not having a keyboard, I would have preferred one with a key board.

I was quite surprised how good it is and would def recommend it.
 Bulls Crack 27 Dec 2012
In reply to fil:

Hard not to like if you like books!
 Nigel Modern 27 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: The case is too fragile...consider an alternative but I guess see if they have solved this problem first as e-ink is good.

I have had two (keyboard version) and (very) minor trauma to (plastic) case has resulted in it clicking off its retaining clips and permanently damaging the screen. Amazon refused to replace it second time and are not acknowledging there is a design flaw.

This problem would be averted by using it in a strong case (I was using a foam one) but they are quite expensive and heavier/more bulky.

Alex Slipchuk 27 Dec 2012
In reply to fil: you're not much better yourself
In reply to kieran b:
> (In reply to fil)
> really? i wasnt trying to be a knob, just expressing my opinion....please dont take it personally
>
> Crikey, can you get this worked up about whether a kindle is a good idea or not ??
>
> Relax, its christmas time

Here here

In reply to fil: my wife wanted a kindle to use whilst breastfeeding Amber, I got her a galaxy tab 7", why it does all and more. She loves it. Her laptop is redundant. My choice was based on using a galaxy note 2. Which is all I use these days and what I'm typing on right now. She got me a beautiful daughter. Her tab is filled with pictures and videos of daughter. Happy days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...