UKC

Today at the Ashes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 22 Nov 2017
Anyone else as excited as a kid before christmas? Thoughts in the team? Shame to see Overton miss out, but a debut at the Gabba would be terrifying and I can only assume that the selectors have considered this a fact. Will we miss some proper pace and bounce? Will the deck of cards that is the England batting line up stand up?
 BnB 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I have a strong sense of foreboding.
 james.slater 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Morning Ian Was going to start a similar thread myself!

I think our team looks as strong as can be expected given the missing/injured list. I still would have liked to see Hales in the middle order, and Hameed opening (not sure if he is injured?). Looking forward to Mo up the order though, I hope hes been working on playing the short stuff! I think Overton has played poorly in the warm up games, although the pitches sounded about as far removed from the Gabba as possible, so maybe an unfair assessment. I think Aus will take several wickets quickly in most games, whereas our bowling attack seems more consistent and will keep chipping away. The aus batting order has a similar fragility to ours I think.
 Hat Dude 22 Nov 2017
In reply to BnB:

> I have a strong sense of foreboding.

I only hope you're Australian
OP ianstevens 22 Nov 2017
In reply to james.slater:

> Morning Ian Was going to start a similar thread myself!

> I think our team looks as strong as can be expected given the missing/injured list. I still would have liked to see Hales in the middle order, and Hameed opening (not sure if he is injured?). Looking forward to Mo up the order though, I hope hes been working on playing the short stuff! I think Overton has played poorly in the warm up games, although the pitches sounded about as far removed from the Gabba as possible, so maybe an unfair assessment. I think Aus will take several wickets quickly in most games, whereas our bowling attack seems more consistent and will keep chipping away. The aus batting order has a similar fragility to ours I think.

Good morning to you too. Avoiding doing work as well I take it?

Hales could have been interesting, although I feel that Mawlan (sp?) has done enough in the last test and the warm up games to justify keeping his place, and if Vince can step up he is more restrained than Hales' hard hitting style. Hameed it *think* has a finger injury, but also had a stinker of a domestic season average of 28 which was mainly dragged upwards at the end of the season.

Australia's bowling looks fierce, if the big guns stay fit. I agree with you regarding the batting on their end - Shaun Marsh and Tim Paine are two obvious weak points.
 stevieb 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I think the series all comes down to our top three against the Aussie quicks. If our top three can regularly stay in for 30 or so overs, then we have a real chance. Our middle order will have a better chance, and Cummins and Starc will not want lots of overs. If they keep getting blown away, then 5-0 is a real risk.
A draw in Brisbane would be a great result.
 stevieb 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I think they should have fast tracked Stokes's court case though.
 james.slater 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

You know it! I agree with Malan now, wasnt sure initially but hes got some form from the warm ups and his county record isnt too shabby. I feel like he could fulfill both a 'Stokes' counterattacking role, or a more kohli-esque, accumulating position depending on the situation. I hope he does well! Aus do not bat that deep, so hopefully those middle order weaknesses will spark a few collapses!

Do you know of Superbru? They have a mini ashes fantasy team thing, which im doing this year. Might be fun!
 Lemony 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I reckon the biggest unknown for me is how the australian batsmen will hold up. I think england will struggle to post big totals but will hopefully always post enough that they're in the game. If the australian batting unit really firess they have the potential to take the games away from england but they strike me as having enough fragility that there could be a lot of "300 plays 300" type games. At that point it's probably a crap shoot and the tosses and the pitches could end up determining it.
 GrahamD 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Lemony:

>At that point it's probably a crap shoot and the tosses and the pitches could end up determining it.

I'd take those odds ! personally I think the extra 5 kph across the bowlers seriously stacks it in favour of the Aussies.
 Bobling 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Numpty question - how can I get 5live on my phone? I've only just got a smart phone. I can find it on my browser but none of the launch buttons actually seem to do anything! Do I need an app or something?
 DaveR 22 Nov 2017
In reply to Bobling:

Bbc iplayer radio app
 Bobling 22 Nov 2017
In reply to DaveR:

Cheers but no dice - have had adventures in google play and downloaded BBC Media Player App (Not BBC iplayer radio app couldn't find that one) but the big green 'Listen Live' button does nothing : (
 Chris the Tall 22 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

England win the toss and will bat first.
The pessimist in me says they will be bowled out just after tea for around 200.
The optimist thinks they might get to 250
 Welsh Kate 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I'm just excited to be watching ball by ball live England test cricket again - haven't seen it since it left terrestrial tv!
 Welsh Kate 23 Nov 2017

Oh dear. Hope that's not going to be typical of the day!
 ben b 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

130/2 at tea (with rain) - if you'd offered me that yesterday then I would have bitten your hand off. If Root and Vince can hang in the last session there will be some sore, tired Aussie pacemen who might not last the series out...

Very nicely batted by Stoneman too. Solid, no risk, steady accumulation - just what a test opener needs.

b
 john arran 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ben b:

> If Root and Vince can hang in the last session ...

That was a big 'if'.
 ben b 23 Nov 2017
In reply to john arran:

Root or Vince?

b
 ben b 23 Nov 2017
In reply to john arran:

ah bugger, that doesn't work either...

b
 Rob Parsons 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

A lot of punditry on this series has referred to the Brisbane Cricket Ground as the 'Gabbatoir' - with the apparent claim that that is a long-used and time-hallowed nickname.

'Gabba' - of course; that refers to Woolloongabba, the area of Brisbane in which the ground is located. But 'Gabbatoir'? I don't recall that being used before, and my guess is that it appeared in a fairly recent newspaper headline.

Does anybody know?

OP ianstevens 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ben b:

> ah bugger, that doesn't work either...

> b

Still, leaves the game nicely poised and the Australian attack has seemed as least somewhat fallible since 7:30 this morning despite taking wickets. Very unlucky for Vince!
 Lemony 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Honours even?
 Chris the Tall 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Who’d have thought Vince and Stoneman would be the top scorers, and it would be Cook and Root who would fail ? Certainly a better score than it looked when they were 2-1, and every chance of getting over 300
In reply to Lemony:

I would say so at present. Looking forward to tonight/tomorrow!
 Rampikino 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Honours even.

The recent history of tests at the Gabba makes grim reading though. First innings scores under 300 are not common while those of 400+ have occurred regularly. England still have a lot to do and the word from the ground is that the pitch will dry and flatten for the next 2 days making batting easier. England have to get runs on the board.
 james.slater 23 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I stayed up to watch the first 10 overs. When I saw Cook nick to 1st slip I feared the worst, but the score wasnt so bad this morning. Disappointing for root, but what an opportunity. The two batsmen who have been labelled our best are gone cheaply, if the 'unnameables' can get us a score that will boost confidence enormously in the England camp?

I think 350 could be a good score for us here, and hope the pitch hardens up for Jimmy and co. Moeen could be handy against the aussie left handers too
 GrahamD 23 Nov 2017
In reply to Rampikino:

I'd say honours even but England will be very relieved to have not been blown away on day 1.

> I stayed up to watch the first 10 overs. When I saw Cook nick to 1st slip I feared the worst, but the score wasnt so bad this morning. Disappointing for root, but what an opportunity. The two batsmen who have been labelled our best are gone cheaply, if the 'unnameables' can get us a score that will boost confidence enormously in the England camp?

> I think 350 could be a good score for us here, and hope the pitch hardens up for Jimmy and co. Moeen could be handy against the aussie left handers too

He's no Nathan Lyon though, who bowled superbly today for little reward (aside from the run out, which was one of the best I've seen!)
In reply to ianstevens:

Are there any clips available ? Pint-sized TMS just has stills
 Welsh Kate 23 Nov 2017

The BT Sport website has some stuff about accessing highlights free - though you'll probably have to sign in to something.

I just get BT Sport as part of my Virgin tv package - an added bonus.
In reply to ianstevens:

Might have to evaluate the BT sport app for my Dad, who has a BT account...

Nice positive first couple of overs. I can't help but feel there are going to either be some quick and big innings on the way or a traditional collapse, rather than yesterday's throwback to "proper" test cricket.
 Welsh Kate 24 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Scorecard still looking a bit traditional even though Malan's just gone.
 Welsh Kate 24 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
On second thoughts, it's turning into a traditional collapse. Time for bed.
Post edited at 01:29
 Kimono 24 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

And you'll be awaking to pretty good news

(im in Vietnam and so in a good time zone)
 Kimono 24 Nov 2017
In reply to Kimono:
Ps though the ‘good’ news is perhaps getting slightly less good! We need another wicket!

james.slater 24 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I think we're about 50 runs off a good first innings total. Hopefully tomorrow we can break the Smith/Marsh partnership early, the Aussies tail is pretty weak. Otherwise I fear we could find ourselves in deficit if Smith hits a ton!
OP ianstevens 24 Nov 2017

Still looking pretty even I think. Would like to have seen those extra 50 runs but the Aussie batting is as fragile as our own so one wicket will lead to a flurry IMO, as per our own batting. The pitch seems difficult for everyone.

Although, having looked at the weather the forecast for the next three days seems very "English Summer" - I suspect a draw is on the cards.
 GrahamD 24 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> Still looking pretty even I think. Would like to have seen those extra 50 runs but the Aussie batting is as fragile as our own so one wicket will lead to a flurry IMO, as per our own batting. The pitch seems difficult for everyone.

Unfortunately in a low scoring game someone as limpet like as Smith is going to be the difference - and he's still there going strong. I think the match result hinges on getting him early tomorrow.
 Chris the Tall 24 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Are any of these tests day/nights and if not why not? It really is very inconsiderate of the Aussies to insist on the matches being played at such awkward times
OP ianstevens 24 Nov 2017

Agreed re: Smith - but I feel that the limpet approach won't result in a win given the forecast. For a result one team needs to crack on and score quickly and/or there to be a collapse of reasonable magnitude.

I think there is, and if so I'd guess it will be in Adelaide in keeping with all other pink-ball games in Aus.
 stevieb 24 Nov 2017

Adelaide test is a day nighter, so will start at 4am, and could help Anderson and Woakes.
Perth test is different time zone, so will start at 2.30am GMT.
In reply to ianstevens:

Poor start to second innings, Cook out for 7.
In reply to ianstevens:

Arghhhhh 17-2!!!!
 Rampikino 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Christheclimber:

Without at least one partnership of 100+ this match is going away from England rapidly.
In reply to Rampikino:

I think we did well to end the day with only losing two wickets! It could have been much worse............
 Rampikino 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Christheclimber:

Yes it could. England have to be prepared to grind this out and not give wickets away cheaply.
 Lemony 25 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Well my 300 plays 300 prediction is a lot better than they usually are...
 Chris the Tall 25 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
Advantage Australia, but it’s still close.
Post edited at 09:25
 Pedro50 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Lemony:

> Honours even?

I'm not sure that Root deserves a knighthood yet.
 Big Ger 25 Nov 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

> I'm not sure that Root deserves a knighthood yet.

Doesn't even deserve a root.
 Big Ger 25 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Cock-up Cook has to be dropped for at least the next match, surely?
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Dropping like flies!!

4/74
 Kimono 26 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

ship has been steadied....for now
 Kimono 26 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

the above was posted seconds before Moeen got himself out
Looks like its going to be squeaky-bum time for a day or two
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2017
In reply to Kimono:

Poms will be looking for a lead of 237, the highest target successfully chased down in Tests at the GABBA
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

They didn't get it.
 Chris the Tall 26 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Even if England had set a target of 250, doesn’t look as if it would have troubled the Aussies.

The again we can invoke chaos theory and state that if the crease hadn’t been re-painted badly, and Moeen hadn’t been given out, then England would have got another 50 and the Aussies would have crumbled under the pressure

> The again we can invoke chaos theory and state that if the crease hadn’t been re-painted badly, and Moeen hadn’t been given out, then England would have got another 50 and the Aussies would have crumbled under the pressure

I wish
 Big Ger 26 Nov 2017
Moeen's dismissal was damn unfortunate, a turning point in the match.

You can imagine the "fun" I had yesterday, and will "enjoy" again today being the only Pom in an office full of Aussies....

Post edited at 22:07
 Big Ger 27 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

All going much as imagined.

We need someone to butt in, give it some head... oh wait, Bairstow's already tried that....
 Big Ger 27 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
10 wicket stuffing, maybe my prediction in the other thread...

> Gabba: Easy Aussie win.
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=674627

wasn't too far off the mark then
Post edited at 02:13
 Pero 27 Nov 2017
There's not a lot to choose between the teams. So, rather boringly, it probably comes down to home advantage. In general, unless one team is significantly stronger than the other, the home side wins the series.

See, for example:

http://trove42.com/home-advantage-importance-cricket/

The ratio of tests won by the home side compared to the away side is 2:1.

But, many of the away wins are in cases of a strong team against a weaker team. In the case of two otherwise evenly matched teams, it's probably 3:1 for home side.

I'd like to see the toss done away with and the choice to bat or bowl automatically given to the away side. In test cricket at least.

OP ianstevens 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> All going much as imagined.

> We need someone to butt in, give it some head... oh wait, Bairstow's already tried that....

*Allegedely
 GrahamD 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Pero:

> I'd like to see the toss done away with and the choice to bat or bowl automatically given to the away side. In test cricket at least.

A bit of a disincentive to turn out a 'result' wicket, I'd have thought !
Bellie 27 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
In other news Freddie Flintoff thinks the earth is flat! : /

or at the very least, turnip shaped.

One ball short of an over springs to mind.
Post edited at 10:24
OP ianstevens 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Cock-up Cook has to be dropped for at least the next match, surely?

Ignoring the fact the he's probably our second or third best bat... by who?
 Big Ger 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Bellie:

> In other news Freddie Flintoff thinks the earth is flat! : /

> One ball short of an over springs to mind.

One stump short of a wicket would be more accurate.

Big Ger 28 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> Ignoring the fact the he's probably our second or third best bat... by who?

I think he's living on past glory, I'd move Moeen up the order and make way for another allrounder.
 Pero 28 Nov 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
> A bit of a disincentive to turn out a 'result' wicket, I'd have thought !

You reckon Australia would settle for 5 draws at home then? Five flat tracks, five high-scoring draws,. Ashes retained by England!
Post edited at 08:23
 Pero 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> I think he's living on past glory, I'd move Moeen up the order and make way for another allrounder.

Actually, over the last two years (since Jan 2016), Cook has averaged 41 and Ali has averaged 42! That said, England's main problem has been to find batsmen who can make it at test level:

Ballance 37 (after a great start)
Compton 29 (and he battled away and tried his best)
Jennings 25
Hales 27
Malan 25
Stoneman 33 (a relative success)
Vince 23
Westley 24

Cook's best days might be behind him, but who have England got that could come in and average 40+ at test level, especially as an opener?
 GrahamD 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Pero:

> You reckon Australia would settle for 5 draws at home then? Five flat tracks, five high-scoring draws,. Ashes retained by England!

I think if you knew you always had to bat last you would do everything you could to make sure the wicket didn't deteriorate on day 4/5 which would be bad for the entertainment and certainly bad for spin bowling.
 GrahamD 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Pero:

I agree about Cook - there is no one making a case currently to oust him from the top of the order. But batsmen, and certainly openers, can mature later in their career. My bigger worry is that actually we are totally reliant on two similar opening bowlers past their prime and with no real 'x factor' (read 90+ mph) bowlers making a case for inclusion.
 Big Ger 30 Nov 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

ADELAIDE: Joe Root has set the tone for what is expected to be one of the most fractious Ashes Tests of recent years by telling his players to use the image of Steve Smith and Australia laughing at England over the Jonny Bairstow 'butt' as motivation going into Saturday's second Test.

Don't get mad, get even!
 Big Ger 02 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

So, not a great start so far, won the toss, put the Crims in to bat, and it's 33 for 0 of 14 overs.

England not looking convincing in any way.

Bah!! But at least I'll no longer have to face my office crowd when we're getting hammered from now on.
 Kimono 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
‘The Crims’? Really?

Big Ger 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Kimono:

Oh yes!
 Big Ger 02 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Looking forward to today's play with a certain amount of ennui...
 Kimono 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

So what's your endearing name for the Indians?
 Kimono 04 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

day 3 about to start.....nervous doesn't even start to describe my feelings
Gone for good 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Kimono:

> day 3 about to start.....nervous doesn't even start to describe my feelings

Your nerves were fully justified. A disaster of an innings so far.
 Bulls Crack 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Gone for good:

The Ashes are gone. All a bit spineless.
 Postmanpat 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:
> Oh yes!

What's wrong with the "convicts"?
Post edited at 09:05
 GrahamD 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Spineless and toothless. The ageing one paced England 'attack' is a real concern. I can't see how its going to change in the near future.
OP ianstevens 04 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
> Spineless and toothless. The ageing one paced England 'attack' is a real concern. I can't see how its going to change in the near future.

Currently ripping through Australia though - the teeth are falling out but there are still a few left.

Edit - maybe not quite so well - Smith's ridiculous stance and a cheeky review saves him.

Edit 2: Not so lucky second time! I can't see it going well for England's batsmen in these conditions tomorrow evening.
Post edited at 10:49
In reply to ianstevens:

> Currently ripping through Australia though - the teeth are falling out but there are still a few left.

> Edit - maybe not quite so well - Smith's ridiculous stance and a cheeky review saves him.

> Edit 2: Not so lucky second time! I can't see it going well for England's batsmen in these conditions tomorrow evening.

Dare we believe??
 GrahamD 04 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Ripping through is probably a bit strong - they are only 4 down and Australia were 4 down in the first innings for not many as well.

In any case Australia probably didn't actually need any more runs on the board so anything they get now is a bonus. Bowling them out quickly just speeds up the inevitable !
 Big Ger 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Kimono:

> So what's your endearing name for the Indians?

Just have to point out that I am a "Crim", with dual nationality, and I'm married to a true blue Sheila.

I live in the world's largest open prison.

One benefit of my recent retirement, is not having to go into work with an office full of piss taking Crims today.

Now go be a snowflakes somewhere else dear....
 Big Ger 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

> What's wrong with the "convicts"?

Too polite when you're in my position...
 Postmanpat 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Too polite when you're in my position...

Of course the appropriate Aussie reply to a snowflake is "Oh get f*cked".....
 Big Ger 04 Dec 2017
In reply to Postmanpat:

I'm the chap in the blue blazer you know...

youtube.com/watch?v=8s4BqzHEK6o&
 Tony the Blade 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Cookie scoring boundaries!
Gone for good 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Tony the Blade:

> Cookie scoring boundaries!

Not any more!
Let the batting collapse begin.
16... a great knock from him
Post edited at 07:34

Stoneman gone for 36!

68/2
OP ianstevens 05 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Ripping through is probably a bit strong - they are only 4 down and Australia were 4 down in the first innings for not many as well.

> In any case Australia probably didn't actually need any more runs on the board so anything they get now is a bonus. Bowling them out quickly just speeds up the inevitable !

Maybe, but there was the feeling that wickets would fall fast which they ultimately did. The Aussies sent out the GOAT to night-watch too, which says a lot about the mentality. Could we dream? Next session is key, but will the "English" conditions favour the English batsmen?
OP ianstevens 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Just have to point out that I am a "Crim", with dual nationality, and I'm married to a true blue Sheila.

> I live in the world's largest open prison.

> One benefit of my recent retirement, is not having to go into work with an office full of piss taking Crims today.

> Now go be a snowflakes somewhere else dear....

Can we keep this about cricket please? Go and mud sling about "snowflakes" on a brexit thread instead. Thanks.
In reply to ianstevens:

Well said, Ian.

Currently 96/3

Root 28*
 Andy Hardy 05 Dec 2017

They've just used a second review - unsuccessfully - against Root.

God, it really isn't the despair that kills you - it's the hope.
 Kimono 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Who are you calling dear? And snowflake?
You sound like the sort of person I've spent my life avoiding.
 Kimono 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

anyway, back to the cricket and I have to say that I am foolishly living in a world of hope right now
 Fredt 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Root 66!
 Ben_Climber 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Need to get Root through to tomorrow unscathed and we may have a chance....
 stevieb 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

So, we just need Root to bat like Brian Lara in his 1999 pomp, and we should be home and dry
 Chris the Tall 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> Need to get Root through to tomorrow unscathed and we may have a chance....

Have managed to stop myself from posting anything all morning, as when I do it normally precipitates a collapse

England almost half way there, but 4 wickets down

Big concern is that Root has a great record of hitting 50s, but a very poor record of turning them into tons - just 2 from his previous 8 this year, 13 from 33 all told
 Welsh Kate 05 Dec 2017

We're not going to salvage this one, are we.
 the sheep 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Welsh Kate:

No idea, its a far better position than we could have hoped for yesterday and we have plenty of time to knock off the runs, we just need to stay in......
 scoobydougan 05 Dec 2017
In reply to the sheep:

When you wake up tomorrow it'll all be over and we'll be 2 nil down history is rarely wrong in cricket.
 Ben_Climber 05 Dec 2017
In reply to stevieb:

Exactly, you've got the gist!
 Ben_Climber 05 Dec 2017
In reply to scoobydougan:

Love the optimism.
 scoobydougan 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

There's optimism and there's self delusion I'm afraid the whole flock has been pulled from my eyes
 Pero 05 Dec 2017
> There's optimism and there's self delusion I'm afraid the whole flock has been pulled from my eyes

What odds would you give me against an England win? If I was willing to bet £50, say, on an England win, what would you offer me to part me from my money?

PS The best I can see online is only 3-1 against an England win.

You can get 100-1 against the draw!
Post edited at 16:49
 Big Ger 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:
> Can we keep this about cricket please? Go and mud sling about "snowflakes" on a brexit thread instead. Thanks.

I was keeping it about cricket. Then a snowflake just HAD to intervene.

Funny how you have nothing to say about the snowflakes two interventions?

Thanks.
Post edited at 20:03
 Big Ger 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Dawid Malan going, start of the collapse?

I hope not, nothing would please me more than seeing that smug smirk wiped off Smith's mug.
 scoobydougan 05 Dec 2017
In reply to Pero:
I'm just going with da stats Man, plus a wealth of disappointment ! And that says Root out before Tea and the rest out before whatever they call the next break.
fortunately I'm not a betting Man
Post edited at 21:16
 Postmanpat 05 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

We'll be all out early in the second session.
OP ianstevens 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Because yours was the one I saw. Now, back to cricket.

Dare we dream? It seems the prices are in place for possibly the best ashes comeback I can remember. I was born after 1981 it I should add. However I can’t help but feel that it’ll all go wrong and England will be out by 4am.

Presume nobody did any work this morning before 11? Half of my lab practical (myself included) had more than half an eye on the cricket, and if I hadn’t been teaching I’m sure I would have done nothing.
Lusk 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Have you got any bottles of sherry to console the convicts later on today?
 Big Ger 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Lusk:

Sherry?

I'm going to have a cuppa while watching it if that helps.

I'm still hoping above hope for a win, I'd settle for a draw.
 Big Ger 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Root's gone
 Big Ger 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Moeen gone...

Big Ger 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

All hope gone.
 Tony the Blade 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

2-0 ffs

How do we pick ourselves up from this? We could start by getting rid of Cook.
 Bobling 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Pft, couldn't sleep so got up to see some thrilling cricket. Wait, why's the ground empty?
 Ben_Climber 06 Dec 2017

Ok, you were right...
 scoobydougan 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Please don't think it makes me happy !
Bellie 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

A bit rubbish isn't it. I hate knocking players, but we just arent competing enough to win. Its no good Joe, James and the like saying "we competed well for three days" or "that fightback shows we can compete in the series". You win by competing every session and winning the crucial ones. One batsman taking the game away from the opposition, or one bowler blowing the tail away before it wags.

In the recent series - the oft maligned Ian Bell was a key player in taking the game away from the Aussies in a good few sessions.

Unfortunately we arent doing this. We need to land a few more blows.

I remember the famous drubbing down under after we had won back the Ashes here. When Freddie the daft was captain. At the start of the series folks stayed up in anticipation. Sports bars were doing overnighters. In the end the bars were empty and it hardly felt worth checking the score.

In reply to Big Ger:

Great progression of posts there! Glad I stayed in bed for that!
In reply to Bellie:

> A bit rubbish isn't it. I hate knocking players, but we just arent competing enough to win. Its no good Joe, James and the like saying "we competed well for three days" or "that fightback shows we can compete in the series". You win by competing every session and winning the crucial ones. One batsman taking the game away from the opposition, or one bowler blowing the tail away before it wags.

The problem is we simply aren't good enough in the batting department full stop and our bowlers aren't suited to Aussie conditions once the swing goes. At risk of looking stupid, I'd bet I could block out an over of 80 mph deliveries that don't move. We don't have that one batsman or one bowler (unless its under lights) for these games. That's the difference between these two sides.

> In the recent series - the oft maligned Ian Bell was a key player in taking the game away from the Aussies in a good few sessions.

I never understood the dislike of Bell, was a handy player despite some patches of poor form.

> Unfortunately we arent doing this. We need to land a few more blows.

> I remember the famous drubbing down under after we had won back the Ashes here. When Freddie the daft was captain. At the start of the series folks stayed up in anticipation. Sports bars were doing overnighters. In the end the bars were empty and it hardly felt worth checking the score.

> 2-0 ffs

> How do we pick ourselves up from this? We could start by getting rid of Cook.

What do you have against Cook? Our weakest batsman by far is Vince, and Moeen has been poor with both bat and ball. No real replacements for either though. Before the series began I would have liked to have seen Root at 3, Malan at 4 and Ballance at 5 - but Root isn't batting well enough to move up, and also has enough captaincy stuff to deal with without the extra pressure of batting at 3.

And of course the age old question - who would you replace Cook with? It's taken us long enough to search through what feels like every possible opening partner for him, there can't be any others left in the CC.
 scoobydougan 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

I agree with you but equally would not be at all surprised if Cook resigns after the end of the series. Also just because your a brilliant batsman doesn't mean you'll be a great Captain I think he got the job by default. But who could replace him ?
 GrahamD 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Personally I'd go back and give Hales a shot with Cook. Hales at least strikes me as having a winning mentality.
 Pero 06 Dec 2017
In reply to GrahamD:
> Personally I'd go back and give Hales a shot with Cook. Hales at least strikes me as having a winning mentality.

Not just Hales, but Buttler has a better average than all the recent batsmen. And, playing IPL must give him some confidence that he can play against the best.

It's a tough decision whether to play attacking batsmen that do well at ODI/T20 and have valuable international or IPL experience or go for less experienced players who have more of a test style.

There's Morgan as well. Is his test record really so bad? I would back him to do better than Vince or Malan or the others they have tried.
Post edited at 15:55
 scoobydougan 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Pero:

It's about 1 2 &3 if they can get a decent start then Then it allows the class player, Root and big hitters like Ali Bairstow to play with a bit of a licence bringing in another big hitter will not help if we're 70 for 5. Cook may come good, in my opinion Stoneman deserves a place so Hales at 3?
 Big Ger 06 Dec 2017

> How do we pick ourselves up from this? We could start by getting rid of Cook.

He's been dismal, but, as someone asked when I suggested this, who would replace him?

Big Ger 06 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

It was no fun to watch, believe me.

Not with my wife sat next to me, barracking for the Aussies.

Anyone want tickets to the Sydney test, I don't want to spoil my birthday.
 Bobling 06 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

Hey Big Ger - go along, you never know. My wife and I were on the 2006 tour and even though we'd been murdered by that point we still had a great day at Sydney, a beautiful ground - and you never know we might pull something out the bag! If nothing else it will provide you with some good memories to warm you as you sit in Cardiff, rugged up, waiting for the rain to stop...AGAIN.
OP ianstevens 07 Dec 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> It was no fun to watch, believe me.

> Not with my wife sat next to me, barracking for the Aussies.

> Anyone want tickets to the Sydney test, I don't want to spoil my birthday.

Might be a bit of trek for most Just have a few extra beers and I'm sure you'll have a good time regardless
 Big Ger 07 Dec 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

Yep, I know...

Some Aussie mates are giving me payback for last series though .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...