UKC

Todays owls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 20 Jan 2023

Two tawnys (you can just see the second owl, back right). Think it fancied me coz it kept winking at me. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

This evening. Lovely watching it. Saw it’s mate later on as well but very dark. 

Ghost birds. Saw a pair late Saturday afternoon.

In reply to Deleated bagger:

Sure are. As I was waking down, one flew straight in front of me about twenty feet away. Brilliant. Some birds have oodles of wow factor. Barn Owls are one of them. 

JCurrie 20 Jan 2023

Super shots.

I’ve only seen a barn owl once. It was hunting along the hedgerows near my mam’s house. I found its buoyant flight mesmerising and I was thrilled that it didn’t spot me for quite some time.

jiminy483 20 Jan 2023

Awesome, your finest work I've seen. 

In reply to JCurrie:

If owls are in ‘the zone’, then they can fly quite close. And I’ve heard stories of them being inquisitive, circling and checking people out. Last winter, this short eared owl came really close. So close I freaked out and got all my focussing wrong. But this shot is still good. 

Post edited at 19:17

In reply to jiminy483:

Thanks. I’m on a mission to photo barn owls, so still sussing them out. Not easy given the low light, their speed and having a springer spaniel lashed to my waist !  

A Robin from the us morning, then swans that I always spell with a typo which allows the childish amongst you to bang about Burger King, and a parakeet. 

Rog Wilko 20 Jan 2023

Super pictures. Thanks for sharing. Are you able to share the location? Quite understandable if you don’t.

In reply to Rog Wilko:

I know of two pairs of barn owls 20 mins from my house in Standish, Wigan. I reckon they’re another bird doing well, possibly from farmers installing nest boxes and maybe those farmers leaving some field edges. If you’re passing by, happy to share details. 
BUT: I was chatting to Jarrod - site manager of Leighton Moss - and barn owls regularly seen from the hide before the Eric Morecambe. He’s seen them on the posts right next to the hide. He’s the guy who photographed the Merlin actually in the hide - it chased a meadow pipit and both flew through the opened hide window, inches from his head. The Merlin landed on the hide floor, so he threw his jacket over it and set it free. 

nic mullin 20 Jan 2023
In reply to Bottom Clinger: lovely pictures. If you know where the barn owls live, check in on them in early summer. If they have young, they will hunt almost non stop from early evening (or sometimes earlier) returning to the nest from their favourite hedgerow with each kill. You can hole up in a good spot nearby and get regular flypasts from a predictable direction, which makes life much easier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...