UKC

Todays work - moving

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bottom Clinger 13 May 2022

We’ve started a drop-in and English class for Ukrainians. Second session this avo. Part of the intro was the ‘My name is Mick and I’m from Wigan’ round robin. They came from Mariupol, Kharkiv, Donetsk, Kiev. Bit of a wow experience, found it hard to keep in focus to be honest. Just sharing. 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Nice one Mick, keep up the good work.

BusyLizzie 13 May 2022

Blimey, must be overwhelming but such a good thing to do.

mrphilipoldham 13 May 2022

Blimey you're not teaching them Wigan English I hope  

That's a fantastic thing to do! 

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> Blimey you're not teaching them Wigan English I hope  

> That's a fantastic thing to do! 

Well, it’ll be a kind of Wiganese. 

In reply to Christheclimber:

Ta. Interestingly, there’s more Ukrainians in Leigh than Wigan, and guess it must be the mining legacy (used to be a Ukrainian centre in Leigh, lots came over to work in the pits after the war). So we’ll start something in Leigh as well. 

In reply to BusyLizzie:

It was a bit overwhelming. I’m used to working with people from war zones etc but this seemed different, more poignant, possibly because they’ve only been here about a week (most asylum seekers I work with left their country well before they arrived in Wigan) and you could see their worry and concern etc when they got chatting with each other. 

Just dropped a couple of donated and revamped laptops to two young girls. Rotary group sorted us 20+ laptops and IT firm did the rest for free. Lots of good people out there. 

More-On 13 May 2022
In reply to Bottom Clinger:>  Lots of good people out there. 

There are, but you're near the head of the queue

Dax H 14 May 2022

> It was a bit overwhelming. I’m used to working with people from war zones etc but this seemed different, more poignant, 

Possibly because its war involving our next door neighbour, a war in se run down African or Middle East Country is one thing but a war in the developed western world hits home. I will check when I get back to work but I think there are half a dozen tablets in the safe that we used as pdf libraries for the lads on site. If they are still there and you can use them I will get them in the post to you. 

bouldery bits 14 May 2022

You're doing good work mate. 

Don't forget to look after yourself or else you can't look after anyone else.

BB

In reply to Dax H:

Thanks !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...