UKC

Too much fudge is bad for the constitution

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 03 May 2019

Janus Corbyn is trying to claim the appalling Labour showing in the local elections shows Labour can win a GE.

The BBC (Laura K) is trying to claim the appalling showing for all Leave parties (incl. Labour) shows that people just want Brexit sorted out.

Is anyone still given major airtime to talk sense?

spartacus 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

I like fudge, so was pleased to this post find is was not another health warning. 

In reply to john arran:

I'm guessing your point is that it's a show of strength to stop Brexit. So what happens if the Brexit party does as well as the polls suggest at the EU elections?

Pefa 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

No one ever bothered much about local or European elections before and are pretty much well beyond saturation point even with the big ones so I predict the worst turn out ever. 

Rob Exile Ward 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

I don't quite get how commentators and politicians can extrapolate so wildly from such a limited data set,

To me it looks like the electorate (rightly) hold both major parties in contempt; and the growing support for LibDems and Greens (among others) would suggest that there is a growing appetite to remain... But what do I know? 

OP john arran 03 May 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> I'm guessing your point is that it's a show of strength to stop Brexit.

You're guessing incorrectly. My point was expressing frustration at the way prominent people are able to abuse their powerful platforms and go largely unchallenged when presenting fanciful 'interpretations' of a factual situation.

oldie 03 May 2019
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> I don't quite get how commentators and politicians can extrapolate so wildly from such a limited data set, To me it looks like the electorate (rightly) hold both major parties in contempt; and the growing support for LibDems and Greens (among others) would suggest that there is a growing appetite to remain... But what do I know? <

Agree, for starters many voters will quite obviously have voted for what their council will be likely to do (or indeed because of what they have or have not done).

Lib Dem and Greens both support remain but may also both be acceptable alternatives for people who would never switch between Labour and Tory. There I go extrapolating away myself.

Martin W 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

> The BBC (Laura K) is trying to claim the appalling showing for all Leave parties (incl. Labour) shows that people just want Brexit sorted out.

I think in that case she was quoting Theresa May, given that the Guardian's live coverage currently has the headline: "May says results show voters want main parties to 'deliver Brexit'".  (https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/may/02/local-elections-2019-...)

Yet further proof IMO that: (a) the Maybot  is completely batshit crazy, and (b) Laura K is content to parrot unquestioningly any old shite that dribbles from May's deranged yap-hole.

Post edited at 14:01
 oldie 03 May 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> I'm guessing your point is that it's a show of strength to stop Brexit. So what happens if the Brexit party does as well as the polls suggest at the EU elections? <

Previously there has been minor interest in EU elections but a large increase in pro-Brexit turnout might be an indication of support for Brexit. An increase in support for the Remain parties might also be indicative. But again there are so many factors and I imagine many of us believe that Leave/ Remain support is still fairly near 50/50 anyway.

In reply to oldie:

I suppose there is a chance that Labour and Tories fudge the WA deal to avoid the humiliation of the EU elections.

In reply to oldie:

> ... But again there are so many factors and I imagine many of us believe that Leave/ Remain support is still fairly near 50/50 anyway.

The summary of 68 opinion polls over recent months shows that Remain has been almost all the time higher than 50%:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-t...

McHeath 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

> Janus Corbyn is trying ...

I like that autocorrect. Janus: God of beginnings, gates, transitions, time, duality, doorways, passages, and ending. (Wiki)

OP john arran 03 May 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> I like that autocorrect. Janus: God of beginnings, gates, transitions, time, duality, doorways, passages, and ending. (Wiki)

Autocorrect? Pah!

Jim Nevill 03 May 2019
In reply to Martin W:

Strongly disagree re Laura K, she's her own woman. Also I believe she pointed out that given the Tory failings (too many to list) Labour should have romped it in these elections and didn't. Trouble is that JC will see this as 'proof' that he has to remain with his colours nailed to the fence in order to appease Brexit labour strongholds. I think he may be mistaken - bring on the Euro elections to see if I'm right.

oldie 03 May 2019
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> The summary of 68 opinion polls over recent months shows that Remain has been almost all the time higher than 50%. <

True but still fairly near in that few results drop below 45% to Leave. Remain was generally predicted to win last time and, unfortunately from my viewpoint, we all know how that turned out.

Being boringly repetitive I still can't see how so many, especially politicians, can justify avoiding a confirmatory vote and ignore the fact that a majority probably don't want to leave. Actually if I was a Leaver I suppose I 'd want to avoid a vote and many politicians are simply intimidated, IMHO.

Offwidth 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

I was thinking along similar lines. In some northern constituencies maybe Labour lost votes to Tories for this reason but they still usually won the councils. You have to be brain-dead to punish the main parties as an angry brexit supporter by voting for solid remain parties. I think the Greens and the Lib Dems have prepared well, dealt with real local issues and are getting remain votes from the main two parties.  All this doorstep brexit talk is just the expected main concern of angry brexiteers (and the angry neutrals who are OK with brexit) when facing main party activists; given the mess the two main parties have put us all in compared to their promises. What did Tory or Labour canvassers expect?....  However, if they were voting on that issue en masse, to signal a desire for brexit, then UKIP would have done much better. I simply don't buy that they all didn't vote.

I think Labour need to keep their huge number of young pro European votors on board somehow or they will face the wrath that the Lib Dems experienced over student fees.   

I await the european elections to see how much voting power the brexiteers really have.... I really doubt the two brexit parties will do as well combined as UKIP did last time, partly as other people are starting to realise leaving european voting to brexiteers and far right racists is very unwise.

I made the point before that brexit support in Labour in the north was probably overstated in the press and as such I'm not convinced there are many constituencies where Labour voters voted for brexit by a large margin. I gave an example of a 70% Labour voting constituency with a 70% brexit vote. A possible way that happened is 50% Labour brexit vote and 90% of the remaining 30% of voters (giving a 62% brexit vote from the same people) and a 14% increased turnout from the more highly motivated  brexit voters) .

Post edited at 16:16
In reply to Offwidth:

> You have to be brain-dead to punish the main parties as an angry brexit supporter by voting for solid remain parties.

It is angry brexit supporters you're talking about here...

Toby_W 03 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

I saw this posted somewhere which made me smile:

ukip (ultra brexit) -70%

con (hard brexit) -25%

lab (sneaky brexit) -10%

ld (remain) +110%

grn (remain) +550%

@bbclaurak analysis: “This could mean people just want to get on with Brexit”

cheers

Toby

Siward 04 May 2019
In reply to Toby_W:

I dont get all this Laura K baiting, she's a reporter who offers interpretations, I don't think she's given to dogma. I think many folk just hear her suggest something that they happen to disagree with and brand her biased. 

What balanced source contained your quote, can I ask? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...