UKC

Tory MP's tell it how it should be

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 15 May 2017
Sorry for copying the posting style of Bigger with the cut and paste below is quiet funny!

"A Conservative general election candidate told a schoolgirl to "f**k off back to Scotland" after she said she supports independence.

James Heappey, who is seeking re-election in Wells in Somerset, made the comments while visiting Millfield School in the county.

During a visit to the £12,000-a-year private school, Heappey asked sixth form pupils what their opinion was on independence.

When one Scots pupil told him she backed independence he told her to "f**k off back to Scotland".

The schoolgirl complained to her father and the school sent a letter apologising to the family.

Heappey has since written to the pupil himself apologising for any offence called."

Classic!
 Trangia 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

What a w*nker
 Greasy Prusiks 15 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Starting to see why the tories don't do TV debates...
 The Ice Doctor 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Thanks for making me laugh!
 krikoman 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

He's said he's sorry though, so that OK isn't it?

How come he's not been sent packing?
 knighty 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

I don't really see the problem with this. It was a bit of a joke. End of.

The more that people complain about this mundane shit, the more the politicians become media slick non personalities rather than real humans representing other humans.
 d_b 16 May 2017
In reply to knighty:
I think people who believe that saying "end of" actually ends an argument are thick as sh1t, but you can't get upset about it because this is just a joke.

update: Looks like someone can't take a joke. End of
Post edited at 15:17
 silhouette 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Saying"f**k off" to a teenager is about as offensive as saying "fuggetabahtit" to Al Pacino or "my arse" to Ricky Tomlinson. It's political banter making an issue of it is scraping the bottom of the barrel. I don't believe the "back to Scotland" bit
 knighty 16 May 2017
In reply to davidbeynon:

The problem isn't what is being said, it is the culture that seems to be growing where offence can be taken to the most vanilla of statements. Or even where people can take offence 'on behalf' of other people.

Ultimately, this level of pseudo sensitivity will impact on freedom of speech.
 d_b 16 May 2017
In reply to knighty:

Of course some people are over sensitive. The race to be most "offended" first in order to shut down arguments is sickening

OTOH there seem to be a plenty of people who will cry about their "freedom of speech" being infringed whenever anyone dares to point out that they are being an arse.

I'm a bit disappointed btw. I was hoping to use the line about how pointing out peoples cognitive deficiencies on the internet is about as offensive as saying "fuggetabahtit" to Al Pacino, but you had to spoil it by coming over all reasonable.

I will stand by my claim that "end of" really does diminish the credibility of any post it is attached to the end of.
 alastairmac 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Just another example of the nasty racist and bigoted underbelly of the Tory Party. It's increasingly badly hidden and it's being normalised by everybody that doesn't condemn it. In Scotland a significant number of their new councillors have established links to the far right and sectarian groups like the Orange Order. And to those people excusing this bully just imagine how you'd react if your kid came back from school telling you they'd been told to "F*** Off back to their own country" by an adult in front of all their classmates. I know I'd want a quiet word with him.
 graeme jackson 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Why's a posh Scottish kid going to a ridiculously expensive school in wells anyway? There's plenty places up here for the over-priviledged little sods to go without needing to leave their own country. The syllabus is different too.
 summo 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

Glad to see some one is taking up the slack since Prince Phillips retirement.
 summo 16 May 2017
In reply to alastairmac:

> telling you they'd been told to "F*** Off back to their own country"

I guess it's about as welcoming as an Englishman at an snp fundraiser.

As for your thoughts sectarianism, when hasn't Glasgow football involved it? I guess it depends who is behind it as to if it's acceptable?
 alastairmac 16 May 2017
In reply to summo:

I think you'll find that there are people of all nationalities in every political party in Scotland. To pick on a kid at school because of their views or nationality is , in my opinion, completely unacceptable however you want to dress it up. Schools are meant to be safe places for kids. And to use religion, sectarianism and bigotry for political ends is equally unacceptable and worrying. Anybody that has lived in the West of Scotland knows that it's no joke and something that shames anybody associated with it, no matter how passively.
In reply to subtle:

Well, its refreshing to get and honest response, l suppose.
 john arran 16 May 2017
In reply to subtle:

If I was talking in a professional capacity, regardless of my profession, to anyone I didn't already know extremely well and was on joking terms with, and I told them to f*ck off - I would expect to be deservedly out of a job. I'm really not seeing how such behaviour can be excused.
 Dave Garnett 16 May 2017
In reply to john arran:

> If I was talking in a professional capacity, regardless of my profession, to anyone I didn't already know extremely well and was on joking terms with, and I told them to f*ck off - I would expect to be deservedly out of a job. I'm really not seeing how such behaviour can be excused.

I agree. Clearly the student involved didn't think it was very funny, even in context. On top of which, how it can be seen as anything other than a colossally stupid thing for a someone currently standing for elected office to say, joking or not?

If that's what he says to a potential constituent what does he say in private?
 The Lemming 16 May 2017
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> If that's what he says to a potential constituent what does he say in private?

We could always ask President Tweet, I believe he has said worse behind closed doors.

And it did not stop him being elected.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...