UKC

Training for a triathlon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 24 May 2018

So I am used to training plans for ultra running but wondering if anyone can recommend a training plan/book so I can start training for triathlon? I am going to do Half IronMan

cheers

DaveHK 24 May 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

My wife has done well using the Don Fink books. Think there's a variety of them tailored to different distances etc.

ClimberEd 24 May 2018

Fink is the 'go to' beginners plan ( I don't mean unfit, I just mean beginner at training), and nothing wrong with it but it builds to an unnecessary volume.

Some other options that people on SlowTwitch (the UKC of the triathlon world) suggest, Matt Fitzgerald, which I think you get through Training Peaks. Trainer Road seems very popular (has a bike focus.) 

I use Brett Sutton's (trisutto) - he is slightly unorthodox compared to many but is one of/the most successful coach in the sport. 

If you have an ultra running 'build' then you will need to work on your strength, but you can do that through the sport specific training (you can also go to the gym, but that's up to you)

Feel free to fire off any questions.

Matt Rees 24 May 2018

Joe friel is good. Uses periodisation, which is probably a common approach.

Weekend Punter 24 May 2018

Whatever you opt for I couldn't recommend enough joining or training with a club.

A 70.3 will be a breeze if you're used to ultras

Tall Clare 24 May 2018
In reply to ClimberEd:

My husband used to listen to Brett Sutton (if he's Coach Brett). He's recently got himself a personal trainer as he's got the Double Brutal in his sights this year - he says being accountable to the personal trainer helps, and it's improving his upper body strength as he's not swimming as much as normal at the moment.

I think he'd also agree on joining a tri club, though he doesn't do much with his at the moment apart from loads of admin as its chair. 

jencamp 25 May 2018

I found Finding Ultra and Rich Roll's thoughts to be interesting. He is somewhat controversial as an outspoken vegan athlete but no denying what he has accomplished in the Ultraman World Championships

jonfun21 25 May 2018

I used a modified version of this for when I did one last year. The amount of swimming surprised me but worked out well combined with plenty of bike/run sessions: 

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/kpdocshare/Training_Plans/Race_Your_Firs...

Post edited at 22:25
 ClimberEd 27 May 2018
In reply to Tall Clare:

Ummm maybe the same person, I've only heard him referred to as 'Coach' or 'Doc' but my knowledge isn't encyclopedic. 

If think having a coach is great, if you can afford it!

GrahamD 03 Jun 2018

Mrs D used an on line plan called Super Simple Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Training Plan by Matt Fitzgerald for her half last year.  She won her age group. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...