UKC

Travelling To europe with a dog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tommy Harris 04 Jun 2019

Can anyone help...

I will travelling to magic wood and then along to the dolomites at the beginning of July taking my family on a chilled roadtrip, we will also be taking our dog, We have done all we need to this side regarding the dog and his passport, papers and so on, I understand that when coming back to the UK you need to visit a Vet and get a Tapeworm tablet taken and the passport signed before you can re enter the UK... I think I understand this all..

Has anyone done this before and if so did you find a vet and book in advance? or did you just wait until you were over there and find the closest one and just walk in?

We will be finishing the trip in the Marmolada area so if anyone has any Information On vets around that area that would be great.

Many Thanks in Advance

Tommy

jezb1 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Tommy Harris:

We’ve taken our dog over a fair few times. Never booked a vet although we’ve found a regular one now where we go in Spain. We made an appointment the first time but now we just walk in.

I wouldn’t stress about it, it’s all super simple. 

OP Tommy Harris 04 Jun 2019
In reply to jezb1:

Great.. Thank you

Its all a little scary first time as last thing I want is not to be able to get him back home again with us.. Wife would kill me.

Paul16 04 Jun 2019

We are currently doing our first road trip in Europe with our dog. We've been told to just walk into a local vet for the tapeworm treatment.

The only issue we've hit is the number of ticks. If you're planning on walking through alpine meadows, etc then be prepared! We have one of those tools to pull them off and are removing 2-3 per day.

Otherwise it's great, and straight forward. Enjoy.

OP Tommy Harris 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Paul16:

That's great info, Many Thanks for this..

I will make sure we take tick remover with us..

Tommy

tomsan91 04 Jun 2019

My partner is a vet, when we take the dog over to france we usually get the worming tablet from the vet 48 hours before the crossing back. Its always worth looking up which practice you are going to get it done at before you go as some only open for a few hours a day and if you are travelling back on a Sunday evening you may find them closed on a Saturday morning.

BedRock 04 Jun 2019
In reply to Paul16:

We've done it before by booking in advance and walking in. Its not been a big hassle either way. 

Regarding ticks - give them a bravecto tablet (available from your vet) - we live in Scotland in an area with lots of ticks and since the dogs have started on the tablets we've had no tick problems at all. Basically any fleas or ticks that feed off your dog will die and fall off. 

Paul16 04 Jun 2019
In reply to BedRock:

Cheers for the advice!

In reply to Paul16:

Nothing new to add really just to agree that it's very simple, our dog has been with us numerous times now and I normally just Google a vet near by in the days before heading home . Always just walked in, seems to be the norm in Spain at least. Sometimes I call and use my terrible Spanish to get opening times! The visits have varied from full on health check where she forced the wormer to the back of my dogs throat (he's a big dog and she just went in there no qualms about the size of his jaws! He was very good haha!) To the vet just writing a date in the future on the passport and giving us the tablets to give him later! 

I would advise seeing your vet before you go to get the preventive things you need for sand flies etc. 

Hope you, the family and the dog have a great time

krikoman 04 Jun 2019

Good luck with this after Brexit, and our massive shortage of vets.

Dr.S at work 05 Jun 2019
In reply to krikoman:

If one good thing could come out of Brexit it would be the end of the pets passport scheme.

girlymonkey 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Emilysaladfingers:

A Swedish vet tried the "shove it down his throat" approach, having already been told by me that it wouldn't work and it would need to be crushed into food for him. Sure enough, vet nearly lost his fingers! I don't blame the mut, I wouldn't let someone shove something down my throat either! Why stress the animal when crushing it into some food is dead easy and dog is happy?

girlymonkey 05 Jun 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Why?

girlymonkey 05 Jun 2019

Our dog is reactive to other dogs in a confined space, so when we went back through the tunnel, we went into the pet passport checking area and explained this and the lady came out to our van to check instead. Very happy to do it too. Worth knowing if it would make things easier for your dog.

Dr.S at work 05 Jun 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

A few diseases - babesiosis and ehrlichiosis now appear to be circulating in the U.K. dog population, probably having become established via animals moving under the scheme. Others like Leishmaniasis appear much more common.

Make sure that all the dates, signatures and stamps in the pet passport are accurate and correct. We arrived at Calais on a Saturday and presented our documents only to find that 6 months earlier our UK vet had written the wrong date in for the rabies and had corrected it but without signing and stamping the correction. To my immense relief (having visions of being stuck in France until the vets opened on Monday morning) a vet answered when I called the practice and was able to fax a signed/stamped letter correcting the mistake and we were let through. We had no problems after that. (We travelled through Calais regularly when we lived in Switzerland).

OP Tommy Harris 05 Jun 2019

So much great information here, Many thanks to you all for this, certainly made me feel more at ease about taking him.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...