UKC

Travelling with a young baby - anyone done it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuanTinco 08 Jan 2017
Hi all,

For a number of reasons we are going to be at a loose end for most of February and are exploring the possibility of going away in the van with our newborn - will be about 6 weeks old by then.

The van is converted so not too worried about the logistics of staying warm at night, storing stuff etc.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any top tips? Where should we go - thinking Southern France at the moment - although not to bothered about location - will be the baby first, climbing second on this trip!

Thanks in advance
Juan
 james wardle 08 Jan 2017
In reply to JuanTinco:

We did this when ours was very small, Daughter was a very calm baby and it worked well, couldn't imagine doing it with my Son who was colicky and we never seemed to be more than 5 min from a change of clothes and a washing machine.

My only recommendation on logistics would be to either do very short days travelling spending a week or so to get to the south of France. Or for one of you to fly down with the baby. (my lot never seemed to like to spend a long time in a car seat, and I'm not convinced its good for them when they are small, potential positional asphyxia)

For locations my favourite winter spot was Cimai in Province, it sheltered from the Mistral, sunny and a really nice area with short walk from the car.
 marsbar 08 Jan 2017
In reply to james wardle:
I'd agree it's not great for babies to be in car seats all day everyday, but I don't think they suffocate from it? Have I misunderstood something?

Edit

I just googled it and apparently it is possible. Scary.
Post edited at 15:19
 Heike 08 Jan 2017
In reply to JuanTinco:
Just take it as it goes. Make sure you have a functioning heater (as you said), stop if you need to, take advantage when baby is sleeping. We found it to be better to have warm clothing (fleecy suits and that stuff then warm duvets etc as they can kick them off). It's no props to travel with babies but one has to just make sure you adjust to their needs.
We have taken our wee man on trips in the van since he was 2 weeks old and it's been fine ( a lot easier now though that he is seven ) He is very attached to the van. He loves living there. I think a van really works very well with young kids/babies. Good luck
xx
Post edited at 21:44
 TobyA 08 Jan 2017
In reply to JuanTinco:

If you are camping make sure mum has some sort of comfy seat for breast feeding.
 Heike 08 Jan 2017
In reply to TobyA:
Never found that a great problem, any seat will do, van seats are particularly comfortable. I have even managed to breastfeed whilst shopping in Tescos in Inverness under my duvet jacket when need arose, nobody would have even known
 Babika 08 Jan 2017
In reply to JuanTinco:

I think you're very brave - but I guess it depends on the baby, and everyone is different.

You might have one of those that gurgles happily and sleeps nicely. But if you have a screamer, that goes on and off at regular intervals I found sanity was only possible by occasionally lying said baby down safely, closing the door and walking into another part of the house while counting to 10.

Couldn't possibly imagine that in a van.

Good luck though
OP JuanTinco 09 Jan 2017
In reply to JuanTinco:

Thanks for all the replies, good to know other people have done it, and survived!

Our baby is pretty chilled so far - although ask me that at the end of Feb and we will see if it has changed! We are using re-usable nappies at the moment - so we might need to think of a clever system for that, or just picking campsites with good laundry facilities.

Trip wise looking at trying to get to the Ardeche initially, with it being a bit of a distance as a bit of a test, and then seeing what happens from there.

Thanks again for your responses,
Juan

timjones 09 Jan 2017
In reply to JuanTinco:

> Hi all,

> For a number of reasons we are going to be at a loose end for most of February and are exploring the possibility of going away in the van with our newborn - will be about 6 weeks old by then.

> The van is converted so not too worried about the logistics of staying warm at night, storing stuff etc.

> Has anyone done anything similar? Any top tips? Where should we go - thinking Southern France at the moment - although not to bothered about location - will be the baby first, climbing second on this trip!

> Thanks in advance

> Juan

We've never had the good fortune to afford an van but as long as it is baby first and you can keep them warm and well fed then they really don't care where they are.

I'm sure that you can have a great trip, enjoy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...