UKC

Triathlon Wetsuits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 17 Apr 2018

So in a moment of madness I have entered this http://wasdalex.co.uk/index.php/halfx

This involves swimming in Lake Windermere end of September

Can someone recommend a place to get second hand wetsuits and what I should be looking for?

Any need for anything to cover the feet?

ClimberEd 17 Apr 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

I'm not sure about second hand suits but a a couple of features/fit you want to look for

- good mid level suits have thicker hip and lower torso areas. This helps with lower body floatation which is typically poor in anything other than good (by good I mean trained seriously for a long time as a kid, not 'won't drown when swimming the sea) swimmers. Cheap suits won't have this, and advanced level suits don't need it.

- shoulder flexibility. You should be able to swing your arms around with little, or no, restriction on movement. If you haven't worn a swimming wetsuit before you'll find it surprising how good this can be

- very snug lower back area. If this is too loose then it will fill with water. Not a good plan  

Have fun, as in intermediate level swimmer swimming with a wetsuit on feels like being turbo charged. 

Oh, and don't kick too much.

(edit: doubt you'll need to cover the feet, September is the warmest month for water)

Post edited at 08:44
 Dave B 17 Apr 2018

You'll struggle to easily  get a second hand one now unless people are upgrading... They tend to go in autumn

Most of the hire places have then for sale. 

Eg. Triuk,

They tend to have  the base models for hire and then sell them off. Seems to save about whatever they hire them out for the season. 

Personally I'd buy new... 

Maybe wetsuit socks, but the water temp will  at its warmest  then, so I probably would not bother. 

jethro kiernan 17 Apr 2018

https://www.alpkit.com/products/terrapin-mens

Looks okay 

I did manage to get a good deal on an eBay wetsuit but that was at the end of September when those who have Tri-ed but didn’t get the big sell on their kit 

And I knew what I was looking for with regards size and model

Post edited at 11:42
 webbo 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave B:

> You'll struggle to easily  get a second hand one now unless people are upgrading... They tend to go in autumn

> Most of the hire places have then for sale. 

> Eg. Triuk,

> They tend to have  the base models for hire and then sell them off. Seems to save about whatever they hire them out for the season. 

> Personally I'd buy new... 

> Maybe wetsuit socks, but the water temp will  at its warmest  then, so I probably would not bother. 

Don’t you then run the risk of not being allowed to start if the waters too cold. Do they not have shops/ manufactures at events hiring them out these days or is that only at big events.

LastBoyScout 17 Apr 2018

I've got an Orca 3.8 suit that I bought 2nd hand at a race.

Most important thing to note is that they are very thin and fragile compared to surfing suits - make sure you have short fingernails when pulling them on. A 2nd hand/ex hire one will probably have several small repairs.

Make sure you have a good fit around the neck, or you'll just be ploughing water.

You'll probably also find they finish somewhat shy of your ankles, as it's then easier to get them off over your heels. Ditto wrists. Mine actually has small "fins" on the forearms to help catch the water.

As ClimberEd says, they will adjust your body position in the water, so get used to that before the race.

The worst bit I find about open water swimming is having your face in very cold water for long periods if you're only used to swimming in a pool - definitely get used to that before the race.

deanr 17 Apr 2018

There are loads of ex-hire wetsuits for sale on-line. Some will send you 2 or 3 to try on and return.

As said swimming in water is different: minimal kicking, need to regularly sight and the cold water effect. I can only swim in open water with ear plugs.

Dave B 17 Apr 2018
In reply to webbo:

Just the socks I would miss on. 

Is wear a wetsuit for 1900m.i wouldn't for 400m unless I really had to at anything more than about 16 degree 

GrahamD 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave B:

Don't triathlon rules (based on the water temperature on the day) usually stipulate when you must or must not wear a wet suit and / or socks and or head covering ? 

ebygomm 17 Apr 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Forbidden above 22 degrees and compulsory below 14 or something like that. 

Bizarrely, the open water swim events that I've done in the past have had wetsuits compulsory even above those temperatures. Was boiling

marsbar 17 Apr 2018

LOMO are really good at making watersports kit without the high prices.   I haven’t tried this, but I have various other products from them.  

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/challenger-triathlon-wetsuit.html#SID=111

Dave B 17 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

The dhb from wiggle also gets good reviews 

CasWebb 17 Apr 2018

You need to check the Triathlon England rules for what is allowed, I don't think they permit socks in official events.

Neil Williams 17 Apr 2018

New ones aren't expensive, though the cheaper end may not last well they would be fine for a one off.

marsbar 17 Apr 2018
In reply to Dave B:

I had a cheap one from wiggle a few years ago, it was fine.  

It suddenly became too small so I sold it on here, but I think that was chocolate and chips related!  Can't blame the wetsuit for that.  

Weekend Punter 18 Apr 2018

The best thing to do is to go somewhere that you can try on a variety of wet suits. The wet suit should be tight but not restrictive, especially around the shoulders/arms.

Actually getting the wets suit on is an art form and getting it wrong can make a suitable suit feel like it doesn't fit.

I'm not up with the current ruling on feet covering but an neoprene skullcap maybe a wise investment - the temperatures around that time will feel like sticking your head in ice water. But that's not too say it's impossible, just be aware and train for the eventuality.

JamButty 18 Apr 2018

You can also hire for season with some companies,  with an option to buy. 

I got a second hand one originally and it lasted me a good couple of years.  Got it off Tritalk,  so probably a bit better than guesswork off ebay

Post edited at 08:06
 webbo 18 Apr 2018

I have just remembered there is a Speedo shop in the designer outlet at York that sells them cheap and they have special discount weekends on which they are even cheaper.

Dave B 18 Apr 2018
In reply to Weekend Punter:

https://www.watertemperature.org/Windermere-UnitedKingdom-City.html

Sept is the 'warmest' month at about 16 degrees.

Lots of acclimatisation will help. 

Skull can can help, but a normal silicon swim cap or two should be ample at that time of year. Build up to it really helps.

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/events/competition-rules...

Page 10 of this covers socks - You **can** wear them if you MUST wear a wetsuit. So in this case (1900m swim) if Windermere is below 15 degree, then the wetsuit is compulsory, and socks may be worn.

4.10.e.i Amendment to: Socks, except when the use of wetsuits are mandatory, however the bottom of the wetsuit must cover the top of the sock otherwise they shall not be permitted; Consistency with ITU Competition Rules Update. Competitors wishing to wear socks in wetsuit swims should ensure the bottom of the wetsuit leg covers the top of the sock to prevent it from filling with water and becoming a hinderance.

Dave B 18 Apr 2018
In reply to webbo:

Check it fits, check its one that suits what you are planning to do. Its no good getting a suit designed for a top swimmer if you aren't...

Dave B 18 Apr 2018
In reply to marsbar:

marsbars?

LastBoyScout 23 Apr 2018

Sportpursuit have some deals on 2xu suits at the moment:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/2xu-110418

You'll need to register on the site, if you haven't already.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...