UKC

/ Twikker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EwenM on 16 Nov 2006
The Derbyshire climb 'Twikker': Does anyone know how it got its name, when it was named or who named it? I have my own theory which I'm researching, but it would be great to have it confirmed...
Thank you for your time
Jon Greengrass on 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM: doesn't twikker mean Raven's poo?
overdrawnboy - on 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM: Named after the The Wicker a street/area of Sheffield presumably, matching street name theme at Millstone.
bluebrad on 16 Nov 2006
In reply to overdrawnboy:
> (In reply to EwenM) Named after the The Wicker a street/area of Sheffield presumably, matching street name theme at Millstone.

That would have been my answer to the OP.

bluebrad
EwenM on 16 Nov 2006
Ah! I hadn't noticed the street name theme. Oops! The Wicker is definitely a Sheffield Street - I've run down it as part of the Sheffield Marathon!

Any ideas about the spelling, 'Twikker'? Or who named it?

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated!
Yorkspud on 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM:

Twikker is the Rag Mag of Sheffield University Rag. The name is a corruption of The Wicker, a street in Sheffield notable at the time for its numerous pubs and fights.

S11 - on 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM: Twikker was the name of the Sheffield Uni rag mag, the route was first climbed by a team from Sheff Uni MC. The origin of Twikker is probably a variation on T'Wicker, abbreviation of The Wicker
EwenM on 16 Nov 2006
Thanks Yorkspud. Guess who wrote that wikipedia article about Twikker?

S11: Thanks! Any clever ideas on how can I contact Sheff Uni MC?
galpinos on 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM:

Sheffield Uni MC (or SCUM as it was known) is sadly no more. All that is left is the High Peak Club.

They've got a website. Guess you could get through to them through that!
EwenM on 16 Nov 2006
I found the FA of Twikker was in 1956 by Dave Johnson. He'd be the one who named it?

It seems a long time to verify why it was called Twikker, unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm a total novice in this area and you've been very kind!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.