UKC

Twikker

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EwenM 16 Nov 2006
The Derbyshire climb 'Twikker': Does anyone know how it got its name, when it was named or who named it? I have my own theory which I'm researching, but it would be great to have it confirmed...
Thank you for your time
 Jon Greengrass 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM: doesn't twikker mean Raven's poo?
 overdrawnboy 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM: Named after the The Wicker a street/area of Sheffield presumably, matching street name theme at Millstone.
 bluebrad 16 Nov 2006
In reply to overdrawnboy:
> (In reply to EwenM) Named after the The Wicker a street/area of Sheffield presumably, matching street name theme at Millstone.

That would have been my answer to the OP.

bluebrad
EwenM 16 Nov 2006
Ah! I hadn't noticed the street name theme. Oops! The Wicker is definitely a Sheffield Street - I've run down it as part of the Sheffield Marathon!

Any ideas about the spelling, 'Twikker'? Or who named it?

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated!
Yorkspud 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM:

Twikker is the Rag Mag of Sheffield University Rag. The name is a corruption of The Wicker, a street in Sheffield notable at the time for its numerous pubs and fights.

S11 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM: Twikker was the name of the Sheffield Uni rag mag, the route was first climbed by a team from Sheff Uni MC. The origin of Twikker is probably a variation on T'Wicker, abbreviation of The Wicker
EwenM 16 Nov 2006
Thanks Yorkspud. Guess who wrote that wikipedia article about Twikker?

S11: Thanks! Any clever ideas on how can I contact Sheff Uni MC?
 galpinos 16 Nov 2006
In reply to EwenM:

Sheffield Uni MC (or SCUM as it was known) is sadly no more. All that is left is the High Peak Club.

They've got a website. Guess you could get through to them through that!
EwenM 16 Nov 2006
I found the FA of Twikker was in 1956 by Dave Johnson. He'd be the one who named it?

It seems a long time to verify why it was called Twikker, unfortunately.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm a total novice in this area and you've been very kind!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...