UKC

UKC cookie policy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 WaterMonkey 22 Mar 2019

Why do I need to have ‘preference’ cookies enabled to be able to see a list of climbs in the crag database?

Seems an unfair way of harvesting information about me.

john arran 22 Mar 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

It's a linchpin of UKC plans to take over the world. If you'd ever met Alan James it would be obvious; he strokes a white cat, speaks entirely in riddles, and carries a lightsaber.

JoshOvki 22 Mar 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

From their cookie policy it is so the site can function, remember what crags you have searched for as an example.

Not all cookies are about gathering data about you, they are an incredibly useful way to make functionality work without having to store your data on a server (which is closer to harvesting data). A cookie we use a lot in work is so we can direct you down the same path on a load balanced environment so you don't constantly lose your session data as another example.

Post edited at 07:30
 mattrm 22 Mar 2019
In reply to WaterMonkey:

Not sure if you're being serious, but here's the policy:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/general/cookies.php

The 'preferences' setting is just for the look and feel of the site.  Pretty innocuous.

Bearing in mind what some sites do to track you the whole cookie thing always seems like an utter waste of time to me.

OP WaterMonkey 22 Mar 2019
In reply to mattrm:

From the policy "Preference cookies enable us to remember information that changes the way the web site looks and behaves. This can be what threads you have viewed on our Forums or the layout of your Logbook."

This doesn't explain why when I clicked on a crag it wouldn't show me the climbs on that crag until I'd enabled the preference cookies.

In reply to WaterMonkey:

> This doesn't explain why when I clicked on a crag it wouldn't show me the climbs on that crag until I'd enabled the preference cookies.

Because when you display a crag it checks your logbook to see if you have climbed any of the routes and if any of the routes appear in your wishlist so it can display them accordingly.

Alan

OP WaterMonkey 22 Mar 2019
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Because when you display a crag it checks your logbook to see if you have climbed any of the routes and if any of the routes appear in your wishlist so it can display them accordingly.

> Alan

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thanks Alan.

galpinos 22 Mar 2019

Yeah,  but what's the REAL reason Alan.........

In reply to galpinos:

> Yeah,  but what's the REAL reason Alan.........

ok then...

Every time you look at a crag we take over your camera and track your eye movement on the routes you look at. We collect this data and come up with an enhanced user profile that has a 'climber type' and 'grade level' index which enables us to categorise you as to what products and services you might be potentially interested in. This is then sold to the Russians - not sure why but they seem to be prepared to pay so who cares?

We are just starting to roll out stage 2 now. This is not tracking what you look at but what you are actually climbing as you climb it. See thread here - https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/drones_in_the_hills-702084

Vladimir James

Bob Kemp 22 Mar 2019

And any dogging, clipping side runners or other dodgy practices will result in sanctions...

galpinos 22 Mar 2019

I knew it!

The Lemming 22 Mar 2019

You put Trump in power, and I claim my £5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...